ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X99E-itx/ac bricked bios

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmali Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X99E-itx/ac bricked bios
    Posted: 06 Sep 2016 at 8:12pm
I tried doing an Internet Flash of my X99E-itx/ac which was on 1.20 to the offered 3.10.

Unfortunately that failed and eventually got stuck on "Processing Crashless feature..." staying at 0%

I have now tried downloading the instant flash files for pretty much all available versions - 1.10,1.20,1.40, 1.50, 3.10, as well as 3.11a and 3.20 from the Beta Zone - without success either.

To give you an idea what I tried:

I formatted an USB stick to Fat32 and simply copied the unzipped BIOS file onto the USB, plugged it into one of the USB 2.0 ports on the back and turned the PC on.

With the 1.10,1.20,1.40 (X99EITX1.40) and 1.50 (X99EITX1.50) file, the ASRock screen will show up  and after freezes , finally the computer simply turns off.

Trying the same with any of the newer files (X99EITX3.10, X99EITX3.11A, X99EITX3.20, and later until 3.60) will result in the ASRock screen not even showing up.

I'm completely out of ideas at this point and wonder if there's anything I've been doing wrong or if there is another approach I could try.

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2016 at 8:16pm
Try clearing CMOS before updating. Also make sure that the flash drive is blank aside from the BIOS update. If that still does not work try a different flash drive. I have an old 4gb flash drive that I use for BIOS updates because it always works. 
vmali View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmali Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2016 at 8:24pm

Try clearing CMOS before updating  - done that.
Also make sure that the flash drive is blank aside from the BIOS update - Done That.

I will try a couple other usb sticks - pending.

I will get back to you with the results.

Thanks in advance.

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2016 at 10:28pm
Originally posted by vmali vmali wrote:

I tried doing an Internet Flash of my X99E-itx/ac which was on 1.20 to the offered 3.10.

Unfortunately that failed and eventually got stuck on "Processing Crashless feature..." staying at 0%

I have now tried downloading the instant flash files for pretty much all available versions - 1.10,1.20,1.40, 1.50, 3.10, as well as 3.11a and 3.20 from the Beta Zone - without success either.

I formatted an USB stick to Fat32 and simply copied the unzipped BIOS file onto the USB, plugged it into one of the USB 2.0 ports on the back and turned the PC on.

With the 1.10,1.20,1.40 (X99EITX1.40) and 1.50 (X99EITX1.50) file, the ASRock screen will show up  and after freezes , finally the computer simply turns off.

Trying the same with any of the newer files (X99EITX3.10, X99EITX3.11A, X99EITX3.20, and later until 3.60) will result in the ASRock screen not even showing up.

I'm completely out of ideas at this point and wonder if there's anything I've been doing wrong or if there is another approach I could try.

When using Internet Flash, it is recommended to put a USB flash drive into a USB 2.0 port on the board's IO panel, which will cause the UEFI/BIOS file to be written to the USB flash drive. That helps when the Internet Flash has a problem, and the board can recover with the UEFI file on the USB flash drive.

If you are unable to flash to any UEFI version, it is possible to replace the UEFI/BIOS chip. The chip can be removed (carefully!) as it is not soldered to the board.

You can get a chip with a UEFI version already on it from places like eBay, or directly from ASRock:

http://www.asrock.com/support/index.asp?cat=RMA

An unrelated but important detail, you currently are using a Haswell-E processor (correct?) but are updating to a Broadwell-E compatible UEFI version. That's Ok to do, but you must also update the Intel Management Engine (IME) software before or after the UEFI update.

We don't know what version of Windows you use, but use the IME version found on the Windows 10 64bit download page for your board. That is the Intel Management Engine driver ver:11.0.0.1158:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/X99E-ITXac/?cat=Download&os=Win1064
vmali View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmali Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2016 at 5:22pm
I tried 3 different usb sticks all usb 2.0 no result, with 1.x bios version asrock screen shows up , but the system is not responding after a while shutdown, with 3.x bios version nothing happens.

The system is brand new, i didn't manage to install anything, since the bios kept doing restart all the time, thats why i try to update the bios.

Edited by vmali - 07 Sep 2016 at 5:25pm
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2016 at 5:31pm

Completely odd. The revisions of BIOS you've tried are somewhat at odds with what your DL pages times/dates suggest.

Please reply back the model number of the motherboard that is silkscreen below the PCIe slot.

vmali View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmali Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2016 at 6:03pm
If i'm correct the serial is 57M0XE101495 and bios version 1.20

Edited by vmali - 07 Sep 2016 at 6:04pm
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2016 at 7:28pm

If i'm correct the serial is 57M0XE101495 and bios version 1.20

If this is in response to my asking the model number of the motherboard that is silkscreen below the PCIe slot, I need what's printed there. Not the serial number.

Also, assuming, after the failed Internet Flash, you can get into the BIOS, on the Main page, what BIOS revision and motherboard model is shown?

Never ever use Internet Flash. While it may seem convenient at the time, there are just too many variables for things to go sideways. As you've sadly discovered. Take the time to learn flashing the BIOS "the hard way"(like Instant Flash is hard, NOT) and you'll alleviate all future headaches. Instant Flash is super easy and super reliable. Sure, it's not as ease as simply pushing one button. Three easy steps and a minute to DL, unpack, and move to a usb stick.
vmali View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmali Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2016 at 7:42pm
First of all i cannot see anything not even the logo screen. I will check the model no , when i get back home.
By the way what  you mean  by saying " flashing the BIOS "the hard way" ?

Thanks in advance.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2016 at 4:25am

By the way what  you mean  by saying " flashing the BIOS "the hard way" ?

Not using the easy yet very very unreliable Internet Flash and instead use Instant Flash.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic