ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

XMP issue I think

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2016 at 10:58am
Originally posted by Evilvito Evilvito wrote:

I didn't know that certain memory doesn't work with certain motherboards, figured ddr4 was the same for all. I went and exchanged the ram for  something that works with z-170. I bought the F4-3200C16D-16GTZ.

http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-3200c16d-16gtz

I loaded the XMP profile of 3200 and had the same issue as before. It so far only works at 2133 mhz. 

By change the bios I meant if I had made any changes in the values in the bios. 

Wait... what... Shocked  I just noticed in one of your pictures, the CPU Cache speed is 4200, while the CPU core speed is 3500. Confused

Does the PC boot with things set like that? The CPU Cache speed cannot be higher than the CPU speed. That cannot happen by itself. Was that supposed to be a CPU over clock? Regardless, that needs to be fixed before anything else!

This is an excerpt from the Z170A-X1/3.1 Memory Support List:

Find the line with your F4-3200C16D-16GTZ memory, second from the top of 3200 speed. Note it shows "1pcs", meaning one piece, in the column whose heading (that is not shown) is Single Channel.

That means only one DIMM may be used at that speed in single channel mode. If you check the memory support list for your board, you'll see as the memory speed becomes higher, the amount of memory you can use is lower, and at the highest speeds, only one DIMM may be used.

Sorry to say, your board is not included in G.SKILL's list of compatible board for that model of memory. New UEFI/BIOS versions may enhance memory compatibility, but all mother boards are not built to the same level of ability to over clock memory.

Your CPU, and all other Skylake processors, are only guaranteed by Intel to work at a memory speed of up to 2133. Any speed above that is an over clock, that is not guaranteed:

http://ark.intel.com/products/88191/Intel-Core-i5-6600K-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_90-GHz#@specifications

I know the memory manufactures give the impression that you can simply put their high speed memory into any mother board and it will work, plug and play style. If only that were true.

I'm surprised you can't get the memory working above 2133 at all, even at 2400. Are you using the A1 and B1 slots? DRAM voltage set to 1.35V? All memory options besides speed and voltage set to Auto? MRC Fast Boot disabled?

Just noticed the CPU Cache clock setting in your picture, moved my comments to the top. How long has it been like that? Pinch
hatch789 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hatch789 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 9:50pm
Guys I'm also having the same issue with the Z170A-X1 board.

I got G. Skill F4-3000C15D-16GVR RAM

Mine is also stuck at 2133 ...any time I try to move it up to a faster speed I can't boot my PC. Is there no way that we can get the better performance out of our RAM? I feel like I wasted money buying the faster speed if I can't go above 2133. I got this board specifically because I thought I would be able to use the faster RAM speeds. /sigh
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 11:23pm
Originally posted by hatch789 hatch789 wrote:

Mine is also stuck at 2133 ...any time I try to move it up to a faster speed I can't boot my PC. Is there no way that we can get the better performance out of our RAM? I feel like I wasted money buying the faster speed if I can't go above 2133. I got this board specifically because I thought I would be able to use the faster RAM speeds. /sigh

For beginning, G.Skill doesn't certify that memory on your board which may or may not mean it will function as intended/designed. This particular kit is only, by G.Skill's own testing, certified to work on the outstanding Z170 OC Formula and comparable top end OC'ing boards from the other board manufacturers.

Have you tried setting these sticks up manually in the BIOS? What CPU OC are you running?

What parts does your system contain, and also how old is the PSU you're using.
hatch789 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hatch789 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2016 at 12:44am
In my case this is a brand new build. New 500w power supply and running an I3-6100 chip. To answer your question I'm not running any CPU OC at the moment. I just let the motherboard at default settings.

I would need help in setting up my OC parameters as I am a complete NEWB to overclocking. I thought I'd just be able to set the RAM to a higher setting and let the motherboard bios do the rest. Apparently I was mistaken.

The RAM works fine at the default 2133 setting. I will try to increase it by just 1 jump tonight and see what happens. If you can tell me what settings to configure manually I'm certainly willing to have a go at that as well.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2016 at 10:01am

In my case this is a brand new build. New 500w power supply and running an I3-6100 chip. To answer your question I'm not running any CPU OC at the moment. I just let the motherboard at default settings.

I would need help in setting up my OC parameters as I am a complete NEWB to overclocking. I thought I'd just be able to set the RAM to a higher setting and let the motherboard bios do the rest. Apparently I was mistaken.

The RAM works fine at the default 2133 setting. I will try to increase it by just 1 jump tonight and see what happens. If you can tell me what settings to configure manually I'm certainly willing to have a go at that as well.

You have a 8GB x2 kit of this memory? 16GB total?

What UEFI/BIOS version do you currently have in your board?

All Intel Skylake processors like yours are guaranteed to work at memory speeds up to 2133. Any speed above that is an over clock of the memory.

Which DIMM slots are you using? 8GB or larger DIMMs should be used in the A1 and B1 slots.

We can find the G.SKILL F4-2400C15D-16GVR version of your memory in your board's Memory Support list. But none of the higher speeds of the same model, "VR". As wardog pointed out, neither does G.SKILL include the F4-3000C15D-16GVR memory as compatible with your board. Click on the QVL tab on the page below:

http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-3000c15d-16gvr

We can try to get the memory working at a faster speed, but it is not a given that it will work at 3000.

Yes, you were mistaken about simply changing the memory speed and the board automatically doing the rest. There is an option in the UEFI/BIOS to do that, called the Load XMP Setting, in the DRAM Configuration screen.

Have you enabled the Load XMP Setting option?

Among other things like the DRAM Voltage, VCCIO and VCCSA voltages, the memory speed will be set to 3000 when you enable the Load XMP Setting option. That is a start, although it is not guaranteed that your memory will work at the full 3000 speed.

Next, in same DRAM Configuration screen, at the very bottom find the MRC Fast Boot option. Set it to Disabled.

When you are done, go to the Save and Exit screen, and click on Save and Exit. All this assumes you are using the Advanced interface to your board's UEFI/BIOS. Is that what you use?

If the PC does not boot, go back into the UEFI/BIOS, leave Load XMP Setting enabled, but just change the memory speed to 2400. Save and Exit again, and see what happens.

You have a decent board, but a $100 board is not a high end over clocking board, which includes the CPU and memory.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2016 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

You have a 8GB x2 kit of this memory? 16GB total?

Tip for ya parsec

F4-3000C15D-16GVR

D = 2 Sticks
Q = 4 Sticks

Then the 16 represents the kits Total GB. Easy math there to divine what size each stick of the kit is.

Edited by wardog - 16 Nov 2016 at 2:20pm
hatch789 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hatch789 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2016 at 11:33pm
Thank you both for the great replies. So I realize I messed up and didn't check the board compatibility matrix before I purchased my RAM. That was my bad. I can probably still send it back but from the sound of it, others even with approved RAM are still having similar issues.

So yes I have 2 sticks of RAM both 8g but here's the catch: I was building 2 gaming rigs and most info pointed to games only EVER needing 8g of RAM right now. So to save money, I split the 16g pair up and put 8 in mine and 8 in my girlfriend's computer. We each have just 1 stick (8G) in our A1 slot.

Everything is working fine now with no issues for this past week. I understand we'd get better bandwidth if we had 2 sticks so I may buy another 16g set and then put this pair back together and add the new 16g pair to the other empty PC.

For now let's assume I'm going to stick with solo 8g Sticks in the A1 slot on each of our PC's. I will try the settings that parsec mentioned but I believe the XMP setting was for 3066 speed and not 3000 which confused me a bit. I will take some photos tonight and post them to help make sure I'm trying to change the right settings.

I am on the latest BIOS version and I am using the Advanced settings.

For the record I was NOT trying to overclock as I don't know anything about overclocking really. I thought because my ram was 3000 speed that I could use this motherboard to take advantage of that speed RAM ...I didn't realize the only way was to overclock things. Showing my NEWBisness at overclocking. :(

Again I guess I am still curious if this is even worth it at all? If I get it to operate at 3000 (which is highly unlikely) will it be much of a speed increase for all the trouble? -Maybe I just let things go the way they are with 2133 and call it a day.

If you guys are like oh heck you'll see an 18% increase in performance on games, then sure I'll go for it.

On a side note, I am using a GeForce GTX 1050 ti mini card. It runs great. I tried enabling the onboard video in the motherboard for the hell of it, and noticed my FPS increased in my games from around 60 to about 75. Is this an expected result? I was quite pleased with that little find so long as I'm not killing functionality in other areas that I might not realize.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2016 at 12:09am

On a side note, I am using a GeForce GTX 1050 ti mini card. It runs great. I tried enabling the onboard video in the motherboard for the hell of it, and noticed my FPS increased in my games from around 60 to about 75. Is this an expected result? I was quite pleased with that little find so long as I'm not killing functionality in other areas that I might not realize.

In directx 12 titles yes, it's a really neat way to get some free FPS. If you are getting more FPS in DX 11 titles then I have no idea why that is happening, take it as a win Tongue

I would only be concerned if your GPU is under performing with the iGPU disabled and performing as intended with it enabled. You can easily determine that by looking at some reviews on the GPU in the games this is happening in. So long as your FPS are more or less in line with the review numbers (assuming similar system config) you should be fine. If the titles are DX 12 however then that is exactly what you should be seeing. Intel's iGPUs have come a long way, not quite AMD APU good but certainly enough to give you a little bit of a boost in FPS in DX 12 games. 
hatch789 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hatch789 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2016 at 2:11am
Thanks Xaltar, I just thought it was interesting since I don't have crossfire or anything odd turned on. I merely enabled my iGPU because I wanted to try to run dual monitors and it gave me another DVI connection. My dedicated video card only has one DVI. So that's how I discovered it by accident in the first place.

Now I'm curious to see what Wardog and Parsec say about the RAM speed 2133 vs 3000. If they feel running at 3000 will boost performance (FPS) even more than I will do whatever I can reasonably do, to make that happen.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2016 at 2:17am
When it comes to gaming, it won't make much difference at all. Most builders recommend more slower RAM vs less faster RAM for gaming builds. More RAM means more buffering is possible so better performance (to a point).

Fast RAM is mostly only really useful for computational tasks and in the case of an APU or if you are using intel's iGPU for gaming. Integrated graphics solutions share RAM with the system so the faster it is the faster the iGPU performance. If you have a dedicated GPU however it uses it's own dedicated vRAM instead so the fast RAM makes very little difference. In fact I would be surprised if it makes more than a 1 - 2 FPS difference, even going from 2133 to 3000. 

Edited by Xaltar - 17 Nov 2016 at 2:23am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic