ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

XMP issue I think

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evilvito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: XMP issue I think
    Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 6:35am
Hello

I bought a ASRock Z170A-X1 motherboard with 16 GB DDR4 2800 Mhz ram. I noticed when the computer started up, CPU-Z and my bios tells me the Ram frequency is at 2133 Mhz. When I load the XMP Profile of 2800 Mhz, my computer won't boot and I get stuck with a black screen. I've updated the motherboard to the latest version, I've asked someone in Tom's Hardware Guide and they told me to increase the DRAM voltage and VCCIO (I don't even know what this is and I couldn't find it). What can I do in order for it to read 2800 Mhz?

Here are some pictures I took

Edited by Evilvito - 17 Oct 2016 at 6:39am
Imakuni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imakuni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 6:45am
Looks like your mobo doesn't allow you to raise VCCIO.... try going with VCCSA instead, 1.2v should do it. Actually, you want to increase both, but given that you can only mess with one of them, might as well just deal with what you can work with.

Oh yeah, and VDRAM, use 1.35v.

Edited by Imakuni - 17 Oct 2016 at 6:47am
Evilvito View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evilvito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 6:57am
On the motherboard manual, it says VCCIO in the Bios table (though it doesn't tell me where). From what your saying
VCCSA voltage = 1.2 volts
Ram voltage= 1.35 volts

Also I'm keeping the XMP 2800 mhz profile on?

Edit: It seems like the only voltage numbers I can change are?<span style="color: rgb7, 15, 20; font-family: Verdana, Tahoma, "Nimbus Sans L", arial, sans-serif; : rgb243, 244, 246;">DRAM voltage,Vccsa CPU Vcore voltage and GT voltage.? It won't let me change anything else you see.?</span>

Edited by Evilvito - 17 Oct 2016 at 10:13am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 1:32pm
What is the exact, full model number of your memory?

I can't tell from your first post if you have 4 x 4GB DIMMs, or 2 x 8GB DIMMs.

Is all 16GB from one kit of memory, or from two kits, etc?

We need to check your memory for compatibility, and hopefully not a mix of multiple kits. That is not always an issue, depending upon the manufacture. Given the DRAM voltage I see with the XMP profile enabled, you might have Crucial memory.

If you have 2 x 8GB DIMMs, they should be put in the A1 and B1 memory slots.

In the UEFI, DRAM Configuration screen, all the way on the last page of that screen, find the MRC Fast Boot option. Set it to Disabled, which will enable Memory Training. That helps with higher speed memory.

Your board does not seem to have a VCCIO voltage option. That is not critical. You can increase VCCSA from its Auto value, but I've found you don't need 1.20V for the VCCSA with even higher speed memory. Try 1.15V, and if you get 2800 to boot and is stable, you can slowly reduce it from there.

You can try disabling the XMP profile, set the memory speed manually, and have all the other memory options set to Auto (except MRC Fast Boot.) Set the DRAM voltage to 1.30V, since the XMP profile seems to set it to 1.25V.

Using the manual memory configuration method above, try increasing memory speed in steps. Try 2400, 2600, or 2666 before 2800.

Hint: If you want to post pictures of your UEFI screens, put a USB flash drive in a USB port on the board's IO panel. When you are in the UEFI on a screen, press the F12 function key, and the current image on your monitor will be written to the USB flash drive. You can look at those pictures, or use them in a forum post.
Evilvito View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evilvito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 9:15pm
My ram is G Skill  16 GB (2 X 8GB) Ripjaws 4 2800 MhZ ( F4-2800C16D-16GRR), rated at 16-16-16-36 at 1.20 Volts.

I too happen to have them on the A2 and B2 Memory slot. I will switch them to A1 and B1 and see what happens.

I'll be back here to post results. 

Not sure if this matters but the Ram model above is what my retailer/sticker says while the Program RAMExpert tells me the model is Fujitsu F4-2800C16-8GRR.

Edited by Evilvito - 17 Oct 2016 at 9:53pm
Evilvito View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evilvito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 9:50pm
Still have the same issue after putting in all those values. After I press apply changes and exit the computer will reboot, stay on for 4 secs, automatically turn on for 2 secs, turn off again. Turns back on but I get no display on my monitors. I then have to reset the bios to get it at 2133 mhz Ram in order for me to see something on display.

I took pictures in case I missed something 

Here is the main page showing that my RAM sticks are in A1 and B1

Putting the ram to 2800 MHz

Disabling MRC fast boot

And lastly the voltages

This may sound dumb but when I change the bios, does it automatically put the display on the inboard video card?

Edited by Evilvito - 17 Oct 2016 at 9:52pm
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2016 at 12:55am
Your memory is not listed as compatible with Z170 boards by G.SKILL, only X99 boards. Click on the QVL tab on this page, and then the ASRock entry. If you check any of the other manufactures, you'll only find X99 boards:

http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-2800c16d-16grr

Fortunately, your memory does function at lower speeds on your board, but it was designed for use with X99/Haswell-E and Broadwell-E CPU systems.

As I said earlier, try a speed less than 2800. One other thing to try, set VCCSA voltage back to Auto, which has a small chance of helping with memory meant for X99 systems.

Otherwise, you need a different model of memory that is compatible with Z170/Skylake systems.

I'm not sure what you mean by "change the BIOS". If you clear or load the UEFI defaults, the default value for the video source is Onboard, meaning the Intel graphics in your CPU. If you mean you just changed the memory settings, that won't change the setting of the video source.

In the Advanced screen, Chipset Configuration screen, the Primary Graphics Adapter option is used to select the video source. If you use a video card, set it to PCI Express.

Evilvito View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evilvito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2016 at 3:38am
I didn't know that certain memory doesn't work with certain motherboards, figured ddr4 was the same for all. I went and exchanged the ram for  something that works with z-170. I bought the F4-3200C16D-16GTZ.

http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-3200c16d-16gtz

I loaded the XMP profile of 3200 and had the same issue as before. It so far only works at 2133 mhz. 

By change the bios I meant if I had made any changes in the values in the bios. 

Edited by Evilvito - 18 Oct 2016 at 3:39am
Imakuni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imakuni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2016 at 4:18am
Originally posted by Evilvito Evilvito wrote:

I didn't know that certain memory doesn't work with certain motherboards, figured ddr4 was the same for all. I went and exchanged the ram for  something that works with z-170. I bought the F4-3200C16D-16GTZ.

http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-3200c16d-16gtz

I loaded the XMP profile of 3200 and had the same issue as before. It so far only works at 2133 mhz. 

By change the bios I meant if I had made any changes in the values in the bios. 
Huh... maybe, just MAYBE your CPU's IMC is utter garbage and can't handle 2800mhz, though I'd be really surprised if that was the case. Try loading all the settings as before, but using 2400mhz or 2666 instead of 2800. See if it boots.
Evilvito View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evilvito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2016 at 5:10am
I've also tried the manual overclock to 2400 Mhz and have the same issue. My cpu is a i5-6600k so I doubt it could be that but who knows. I also don't think I can return this motherboard to the store since I cut off the serial number for the mail in rebate. 

By the way I just want to say thank you guys for helping me, appreciate it. 

Edited by Evilvito - 18 Oct 2016 at 5:11am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic