ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

board wont power on

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote coog83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2015 at 10:15am
Sure, I've been working on this for some time with RMA on the psu already, whats a few more days. 
I do agree with you, from my experience the motherboard is usually not the problem, or the last thing anyone would suspect.   PSU's not so much..Smile

I did go ahead and order another PSU,  different brand just so see.  but It won't be here until Tue. 
Unless there is some sense wire that is not triggering things properly from psu to mb. 

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2015 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by coog83 coog83 wrote:

This this is a new install, and a painful one. 

Connected lan cable and when I power on the psu, a few sec later I see the lan leds flash like normal.  So the board is getting power.  that was with the 20/24pin only and same with 20/24pin plus the other cpu pins.

no other lights on motherboard..
pushing reset/power on  = nothing..

usually I would expect the psu to try and start then shutdown, not the case  absolutely like it's powered off nothing.

thanks for the ideas.

The board/PC will start only if both the 24 pin and the 4/8 pin CPU power cables are connected to the board. The CPU gets power from its own 4/8 pin cable, and will not operate without it.

The first time you apply power to an ASRock board (either new or PSU unplugged from AC power and then reconnected) the LEDs on the board and switches will NOT be on. Only after a successful start up will the LEDs remain on.

Your board has the Dr Debug two digit POST code display. When you press the power button on the PC case or board, do you see anything displayed momentarily on that display? Also, after you press the power button and nothing happens, did you notice if the network LEDs were still on?

I'm asking this because I had a problem where a SATA power cable had a short circuit in it, and when I pressed the PC power button, the PSU would shut down because of the short circuit in that cable. I could toggle the PSU's power switch and the PSU would turn on again, but as soon as I pressed the PC power button the PSU would turn itself off. I could see the Dr Debug display light up for a fraction of a second before the PSU shut itself off.

Do you have any other of the PSU's cables connected to it, and to other components like a video card, HDDs, SSDs, etc? If you do, just disconnect those cables from the PSU and they try to start the PC.

Other things, if the clear CMOS jumper is in the clear position, on the middle and right side pins (pins 2 and 3) the board will not start.

If you are using a four pin CPU power cable/connector from the PSU, the connector must be plugged into the four pins on the right side of the connector on the board. That is, the right side where the latching edge on the connector is at the top of the connector on the board. Check the manual for details.

Another thing is if the cable from the PC power switch is connected correctly. It is all to easy to do that wrong, or mix up the polarity. I would check that and the other connections too.

It may be possible to mix up the 8 pin CPU power cable with a 8 pin PCIe power cable for a video card. They look very similar 2 x 4 pins, but the 12V+ and ground connections are on opposite sides of the connectors. Polarity matters in DC circuits. Be sure you are using the right cable and that it is connected to the correct output on the PSU itself.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2015 at 3:57pm
I say this again because you didn't mention it, check to see if the clear CMOS jumper is in the clear position, if it is, that can cause exactly what you are seeing. I have seen a few hardware dealers ship boards with the jumper in the clear position, it is an old practice that is largely abandoned now but you never know.

Parsec made some good suggestions, let us know how it goes.
coog83 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coog83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2015 at 10:36am
sorry for the delay..

the post display is dark, nothing....
the cpu cables are  marked cpu, while the others in the psu box have pci on them. 

cmos jumper on pins 1&2
No sata cables are attached..  
Basically I have 1 chassis fan + power that it for cables.. 24/pin connector and the 2 cpu connectors

I went out and ordered another psu and it should be here tomorrow, I plan on swapping it out an seeing what happens..

coog83 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coog83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2015 at 9:42am
ok got another PSU.  
 clear cmos is on the inner 2 pins, moved the a/b bios back and forth and then to 1 direction.

All connected up, and same result no life on the motherboard.

Any other ideas?
odiebugs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odiebugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2015 at 9:57am
Checking to make sure CPU is perfectly seated.  Try carefully reseating again.

One stick memory.

Double check motherboard case standoffs.

So, 20 24 pin connector seated correctly making sure that the 4 pin is correct as most times it's a separate pin and only clips together and can sit higher. 

Making sure that CPU power 8 pin A port, and  8 pin B port tried. 

Trying no case pins connected, then all case pins connected to header.

Using HDMI and Display port if monitor has both.

If Dr debug does not run through numbers  contact support for RMA, or if you got it from newegg ask them if you can ship back.

Don't lose faith in ASrock.

The ASUS max 6, 10 DOA, Gigabyte Z97 GA SLI, 40 bad boards, not picking on them just saying that every MFG  has boards that go DOA.

Then there's shipping,  did you make sure you didn't bend it too much, did you place it on anti-static hard surface  to connect power, use anti-static wrist strap.  

Factors that people forget but can make problems. 

All the ASrocks boards I have built for customers and my own 5, never had a DOA.  Have had problems, but they were all due to a BIOS update needed, memory and PSU.

Edited by odiebugs - 16 Jul 2015 at 10:20am
asrocking
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2015 at 1:38pm
At this point I agree with Odiebugs, if you have tried all the steps mentioned in this post then it is time to RMA the board. Sadly DOAs do happen, from every manufacturer. I usually avoid this by purchasing from physical stores, both to support local business and because I know the stores I buy from test the products before they go out to the customer. 

Like Odiebugs I have had bad experiences with all major manufacturers.

I also wanted to thank you for your forum etiquette you have been very patient and meticulous in your troubleshooting and have kept your cool Cool It is no easy thing to do when you are having problems with a brand new product. 

The last thing I would do before you RMA is check the motherboard socket pins for bent pins/debris. 

Good luck with the RMA should it come to that.
coog83 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote coog83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2015 at 7:54pm
Question:

Do i contact newegg or send it back to asrock?

Newegg's published policy is to send it back to manufacturer, yet looking on Asrock's support page it says send it to authorized distributer ?

Keith
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2015 at 2:41am
I would try Newegg first, even if you are beyond their return period.

Newegg must be aware of ASRock's policy that was mentioned above.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic