ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

board wont power on

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coog83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: board wont power on
    Posted: 08 Jul 2015 at 10:36am
I have a motherboard that won't power on via chassis or the power on button on the motherboard.
I've attached a power supply tester to the ps and all voltages are within 0.1volts.  Where do I go to get further assistance?  
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2015 at 12:08pm
We will need a full list of system specs in order to better offer assistance Wink

Basic troubleshooting steps are as follows:

1: Reseat everything on the motherboard and check for bent pins on the motherboard/CPU
2: Clear CMOS
3: Only install the bare minimum of parts needed to post (use the onboard graphics where possible, 1 stick of RAM etc.)
4: Make sure you have a PC speaker connected to the motherboard and listen for beep error codes
5: Where possible test components in another working system

Good luck and welcome to the forums Smile

coog83 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coog83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 9:16am
Fair enough.

I have a z97 extreme9.  with intel 4790K processor with the chassis fan plugged into the pwr fan slot.

Nothing else attached.  I hit the onboard power button and same as before nothing,  The powersupply doesn't even start its fan, lights..  Just like it was not plugged in.

Since the power supply starts with the shorting of 2 pins on the large connector that should at least fire up. 

Putting powersupply tester on leads, hitting button on tester PS lights up with good voltages. 

I'm thinking I have a DOA motherboard but where do I go to address this?
odiebugs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odiebugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 10:39am
If you don't mind, can you post the MFG and model of the PSU tester, what was the voltage of the ATX 12v 8 pins, have you tried to switch to the 2nd 8 pin ?

This might not help, but a PSU can show it's core voltage, but when the system calls for power  PSU can't deliver it.   I have seen PSU's that show good but needed to be replaced. Most times the board would boot but then turn off.

Please also check both 20 24 and 8 pin connectors on the board for lose or heated pins and on the PSU.

If the 8 pin has a short it could cause a no start, if you don't have another 8 pin power, is the 8 a split so you can try both, 4pin and the other 4pin and try no 12v to ATX connector. 

If you just want to RMA the board here is the place, link below. 

Edited by odiebugs - 09 Jul 2015 at 10:58am
asrocking
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 11:46am
After reading through a ton of similar problems the common thread seems to be power. Assuming you have already checked the socket pins (shorted pins can cause this problem) the next thing to check is that all the power connections are properly connected. I have noticed with Asrock boards that the power connectors are a tight fit and often are not properly connected when they appear they are. If that fails you can try connecting nothing but the PSU to the motherboard (remove the case LED/switch connectors too) and try to power on via the switch on the motherboard. 

Also be sure that none of the motherboard mounting standoffs are in the wrong place and shorting the underside of the board. 

Another thing to check is if the CMOS clear jumper is set to the clear position, I have seen several stores that ship boards with the jumper set this way.  
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 2:34pm
What PSU are you using? That is an important thing to know.

With a PSU connected to a mother board via the 24 pin and 4/8 pin CPU power cable, and the PSU's power switch in the On position, power is supplied to the mother board. Otherwise none of the switches you mentioned to start the board would work. So it is possible that the board is not getting any power at all.

If you have an active network cable handy, connect it to a network jack on the IO panel. Turn the PSU on via its power switch, and watch for the LEDs next to the network jack you just connected the cable to. Those LEDs should come on after a few seconds once the PSU's switch is in the On position.

If those LEDs do not come on, the board does not seem to be getting power. That could be due to a short circuit causing the PSU's safety features to activate.

The board could be DOA, but don't immediately assume that is the case.
coog83 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coog83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 6:20pm
The power supply tester is made by coolmax.  Plug in all the cables press the on /off button and led screen display's the voltages.  They ere either dead on or 0.1 over.  3/5/12

The psu is a corsair ax1200i.  First one was doe, this is the second psu.

I may try to look around for a test psu, ( cheap one ) to use to see if I can get the board to power on. 
Yet shouldn't I be able to put a dvm on the psu on/off pins ( should show open, once I press the on/off switch on the motherboard I should see those pins short?

odiebugs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odiebugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2015 at 12:17am
You can use continuity on the DVM to show the open / closed state and you can also check the case power button.  You might have a beep setting in resistance / continuity  that will beep when closed so you don't need to see the readout.   The PW case is not important as you have one on board.

At first it seemed like this was not a new build, but now I'm thinking it is. 

You have a top of the line PSU,  but it's strange that I see 30% reporting this unit is DOA or goes DOA quickly.  Corsair has been the best for a long time. 

Your coolmax  does have a decimal of .100, just wanted to check, thanks.  

Have you tried just the 20 24 pin on board, and check the Lan light like what Parsec posted ? 
Did you also see if the board light up debug  in same scenario ?  
Can you try 20 24 and a 4pin and then the other 4pin ?

Post back after you try these.  

I hate to see you buy another unit, I have two around  small older system and one for newer.   Have seen some show their correct rails and  not be able to power board continuously.  

Tough call,  best PSU, but many bad,  tester checks ok.
asrocking
coog83 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coog83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2015 at 9:40am
This this is a new install, and a painful one. 

Connected lan cable and when I power on the psu, a few sec later I see the lan leds flash like normal.  So the board is getting power.  that was with the 20/24pin only and same with 20/24pin plus the other cpu pins.

no other lights on motherboard..
pushing reset/power on  = nothing..

usually I would expect the psu to try and start then shutdown, not the case  absolutely like it's powered off nothing.

thanks for the ideas.

Edited by coog83 - 10 Jul 2015 at 9:43am
odiebugs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odiebugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2015 at 9:51am
Really sorry you have this problem.  

Can you wait and check back in a while and in morning.  I would think that Parsec  or Xaltar can add to this.  

I hate to say contact support and tell them and they will probably give you a RMA, when there is a chance the mods could have seen this before and offer the next step for you to try. 

Thanks for any patience.  
asrocking
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic