ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z77 extreme 4 cannot enter UEFI

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michealo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z77 extreme 4 cannot enter UEFI
    Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 2:06am
Should the 'ASRock restart to UEFI' app work under Windows 8.1?
I understand that i can't get back into UEFI after enabling fast boot with a USB keyboard so this seems to be my only option aside from clearing CMOS?

after the PC reboots, the monitor is in sleep mode and the mobo error code is '62'.

thanks for any assistance
odiebugs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odiebugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 2:18am
Yes, I've used the restart app on 8.1 all the time because I run in full UEFI and not EFI mode under ultra fast boot.  Without  the restart app you should just keep booting into windows.

As for the error, you get this from the UEFI setting of just fast boot and then your monitor sleeps when rebooting and you get the 62, - is this correct ?
asrocking
michealo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote michealo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 2:23am
Originally posted by odiebugs odiebugs wrote:

Yes, I've used the restart app on 8.1 all the time because I run in full UEFI and not EFI mode under ultra fast boot.  Without  the restart app you should just keep booting into windows.

As for the error, you get this from the UEFI setting of just fast boot and then your monitor sleeps when rebooting and you get the 62, - is this correct ?

thanks, that is correct.
i've been using fast boot for some time but noticed i couldn't get into BIOS recently.
as soon as i click apply on the 'restart to UEFI' app, the PC begins reboot process, monitor goes into standby but never wakes up and error 62 error appears on MOBO, then nothing.  I have to presss reboot button to recover.

i'm going to test a bit later by detaching all HDDs, USB accessories, etc and see if that helps.
odiebugs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odiebugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 2:26am
Sorry, looked to quickly, I thought it was Z97.

The Z77 doesn't have a fast/ ultra fast boot option. 

You are not even offered the APP restart to UEFI. 
asrocking
odiebugs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odiebugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 2:27am
Originally posted by michealo michealo wrote:

thanks, that is correct.
i've been using fast boot for some time but noticed i couldn't get into BIOS recently.
as soon as i click apply on the 'restart to UEFI' app, the PC begins reboot process, monitor goes into standby but never wakes up and error 62 error appears on MOBO, then nothing.  I have to presss reboot button to recover.

i'm going to test a bit later by detaching all HDDs, USB accessories, etc and see if that helps.

As you can see I posted you don't have the option in UEFI to fast boot,  are you using the instant boot APP ?
asrocking
odiebugs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odiebugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 2:34am
As for the south bridge runtime on a board that I don't see a fast boot option, so it would be better to wait   until Parsec or Xaltar posts. 

I know Parsec has dealt with this problem a hundred times.   

Another note- the fast boot option does not lock out the option to enter UEFI, only the ultra fast boot, boots to quickly for the system to show boot options and the APP is needed.

Edited by odiebugs - 09 Jul 2015 at 2:45am
asrocking
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 2:44am
Error 62 is "Installation of the South Bridge Runtime Services" according to the manual. Whenever I am having any kind of trouble with BIOS my go to first stop is to clear CMOS, preferably by removing the power cord, then the battery and pressing and holding the power button down for at least 15 seconds. I usually also remove the 24pin and 4/8pin power cables from the motherboard additionally to ensure there is not charge in the PSU that will retain the BIOS settings.

If the system is running normally without any other errors then I doubt it is the RAM (one of the possible causes of the 62 error) so I am leaning toward corrupted bios information. 

Let us know how it goes after a CMOS clear Wink
michealo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote michealo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 9:33pm

As you can see I posted you don't have the option in UEFI to fast boot,  are you using the instant boot APP ?

Definitely using just the 'fast boot' option and setting this bypasses the CTRL-I option and POST screens for me.  
I thought this was all normal until i needed to get into the RAID config the other day and noticed that i couldn't press DEL or F2 on my USB keyboard to get into EUFI to disable fast boot.
perhaps the firmware is corrupted, as mentioned.

Removing all additional HDDs/USB accessories didn't help so i'll attempt clearing CMOS and starting over

thanks all

Edited by michealo - 09 Jul 2015 at 9:35pm
odiebugs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odiebugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2015 at 12:43am
Let me just answer one thing then take a look at the rest.

The RAID setup has nothing to do with UEFI, you hit CTRL I, is the way you enter the Intel option ROM.

You threw me on this one, your first sentence talks about entering  the option Rom, but then you go on to say you are trying to get to RAID with  UEFI open.  

I am confused, like I posted I don't see you have Ultra boot.   

I have a Z97, Z87.   

I have fast boot and Ultra Fast.  In the fast boot mode I can enter the Option Rom and  UEFI,  in Ultra fast 
 I CAN'T enter the Option Rom or UEFI, must use the restart to UEFI APP to disable Ultra fast.  

Edited by odiebugs - 10 Jul 2015 at 12:55am
asrocking
michealo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote michealo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2015 at 12:49am

Let me just answer one thing then take a look at the rest.

The RAID setup has nothing to do with UEFI, you hit CTRL I, is the way you enter the Intel option ROM.

JFYI.  

thanks, something is definitely wrong with my setup then as i never see the CTRL+I option any longer after enabling fast boot.  from pushing the power button, the LCD stays in sleep mode until windows login screen appears.

i believe i tried this process with the LCD plugged into the on board DVI adpator instead of my GTX670 but was same result.  will have to add it to testing process.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic