ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

ddr4 memory help on z170 pro 4

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjd66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ddr4 memory help on z170 pro 4
    Posted: 30 Oct 2016 at 11:30pm
Hello,

I recently bought a Intel Z170 Pro 4 motherboard and I am having a memory problem. I have two sticks of Ballistix Sport LT 8GB Kit (4GBx2) DDR4 2400 MT/s (PC4-19200). I am having serious problems when I try to run the memory at 2400 but am having no problems running it at 2133. 

When I run it at 2400 half the time my monitor will not boot up and when it does I get an error from the board saying there was a start up problem and windows 10 also has a start up error. But when I run it at 2133 it starts up fine with no problem errors from the board or windows 10. 

I have run Memtest86 and have had no errors on the memory.

I am also updated to the latest Bios(7.0) I think it is. 

This board is meant to be able to run memory much higher than this so I am unsure what the problem could be. 

If anyone else has had this problem and knows a fix it would help me a lot please,

Thank you for your time,

Robert

Edit: I am also running a I3 6100 in the board 

Edited by rjd66 - 30 Oct 2016 at 11:42pm
J Z View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote J Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2016 at 11:42pm
Hi,

XMP is activated ?

DDR4 in Slot DDR4_A2 and DDR4_B2 ?
Kind Regards,
JZ

https://shop.JZelectronic.de - Der Shop mit ausgesuchter ASRock Profi Hardware

https://www.facebook.com/asrock.de
rjd66 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjd66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2016 at 11:49pm
The memory are in slots 1,3 and I have also tested them in slots 2,4 with the same problems. 

I am new to this so the whole XPM thing has me confused but I have done nothing with that everything is set to Auto in the bios concerning the memory. 
J Z View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote J Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2016 at 11:59pm
Please "Load XMP Setting" set to "XMP 2.0 Profile 1"
Kind Regards,
JZ

rjd66 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjd66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2016 at 12:03am
Okay I will try that now.

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2016 at 12:05am
Originally posted by rjd66 rjd66 wrote:

The memory are in slots 1,3 and I have also tested them in slots 2,4 with the same problems. 

I am new to this so the whole XPM thing has me confused but I have done nothing with that everything is set to Auto in the bios concerning the memory. 

It's simple using the XMP profile. In the DRAM Configuration screen, find the Load XMP Setting option. It will be set to Auto by default. Click on it and you should see an entry for an XMP profile. Select that option, and then just click Save and Exit in the Exit screen.

Your Crucial Ballistics Sport memory should work fine in your board at 2400. Slots 1 and 3 are the slots you should be using.

If after selecting the XMP profile you still have a problem, go back into the UEFI/BIOS. In the Exit screen click on the Load UEFI Defaults option. That will reset every option to its default value, which will clear anything you might have set that affected your memory. If you use any non-default UEFI settings, like PCI Express for the video source, reset those options. Then select the XMP profile setting again, and Save and Exit.

Let us know what happens.

rjd666 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjd666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2016 at 12:32am
Okay I went into the bios and changed the XMP and saved and restarted my system. My system is still getting the same errors and I had to start my system about 20 times to get it to turn on the monitor. 

I am going to try some of the other things in the last post to see if I can get it to work. 

Same person btw I had to make a new account because I messed up my original login details lol
rjd666 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjd666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2016 at 12:53am
Okay I tried everything and it did not fix the problems. Last time had me scared I did not think the system was going to start the monitor again. 

I guess I am stuck at 2133 as it is having no problem,bought a Z170 for the higher memory clock speeds but guess that is messed up or something. 

Thanks for all the help 
J Z View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote J Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2016 at 1:13am
Non-K or K CPU ?

Memory faulty ?
Kind Regards,
JZ

rjd666 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjd666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2016 at 1:21am
The I3 6100 is non K 

I have tested memory overnight with Memtest86 with no errors 

But who knows may be a memory error anyway but I have no funds to get anymore and have no other ddr4 to test with.

Edited by rjd666 - 31 Oct 2016 at 1:23am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic