ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z97M Anniversity OC limit?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TAMW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2016 at 11:21pm
Rly? I think I need a smaller case, I feel violated off this already huge beast! :P

I have been running itx systems the last few years, but had to give that awsome formfactor up for better temps  and I missed my dvd drive and card reader. This is the z97m setup, tho with gtx970 before I got the current case: (keep the nitro tablets close by, Xaltar) :P

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2016 at 11:48pm
(Comment on the PC in the first pictures...)

IT LIVES!!!  IT LIVES!!!  

Not really ghetto at all, except for what appears to be a piece of duct tape on the front of the case.

My cable management OCD has me reaching at the monitor... must fix... must fix...

But it's the case itself that makes or breaks cable management, only so much can be done if the case will cooperate.

I'm 99.9% certain you had VRM throttling, given your description.

Plus how could that not happen in your situation, the classic liquid cooling side affect, little or zero air flow over the VRM chips and heat sink... if you have heat sinks, which you do now. I hope idle temperatures of the heat sinks were cool.

Ya know, now that I see you're not some kid wanting to OC with the stock Intel CPU cooler (exaggerating here), I'm changing my mind, sorry to be a cynic! Thumbs Up  It's not crazy to use that board to OC, it's just a challenge!!

I hope you can OC like crazy, and the VRMs survive, things should be better now that they are being actively cooled. I want you to prove you can OC your CPU with a minimal VRM stage. I read a thread at OCN about the VRM chips being used in various boards, and how some users select boards based upon which VRM chips are being used, the basic circuit design, and even the VRM controllers being used. Meanwhile all the boards in question have 10 or 12 phase/chip designs, or even more.

Modern Intel processors don't use that much power, even when over clocked. Extreme OC with dry ice, etc, is another thing, with ultra high VCore, but at least the VRM chips are half frozen too!

Good luck man, did you get all the info you needed?

Edited by parsec - 13 Nov 2016 at 11:49pm
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2016 at 11:51pm
Small builds are challenging to keep tidy and with decent airflow. I take it your CPU cooler was blowing air up into the PSU extractor fan?

Amusingly these pics are less scary than the other ones Tongue

I am somewhat obsessed with cable management and airflow in my builds and space isn't an issue for me so I tend to favor larger cases. I am working on an mATX scratch build atm though but not gotten much past cutting out a few templates in cardboard. Still trying to hash out placement of all the components to keep it as small as possible while maintaining decent airflow. Once I have a design finalized I will send the templates to get cut in acrylic, if I get that far Tongue

Thanks for sharing Thumbs Up 
TAMW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TAMW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 2:42am
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Good luck man, did you get all the info you needed?

Got what I needed, yes thanks :)

Unfortunatly, you did predict correct before regarding not getting far oc'ing, as soon as I started raising vcore up towards 1.3v, it throttles down again. Haven't measured the vrm temps yet, but im guessing they are high. Only have small alu sinks glued on, and not a very hefty fan.

I think I might have to settle on 4.2ghz 1.25v and 4ghz cache for now, cpu also get mighty hot (80c+).

Maybe later I will try to get some better cooling solution on the vrms, and the cpu is actually delidded but running with the ihs on now as it whouldnt start without it. Guessing not enough pressure on that mount, but i'll get that running later on.

Will have to see tho, Im keeping my hopes up for all open AMD Zen :) After 2.gen i7 hit and baseclock oc'ing was out the door it kinda took the fun out of it for me with the whole "Z & K oc only"

Xaltar
, custom built case eh? That sounds kind of interesting. Had the thought before, but never had the will power to actually start on it :P I saw someone (ncase maybe?) that have recently made a new matx case VERY small with watercooling in mind, but I think it was very expensive, and import to Norway is 25% extra added, so no go for me there.

The ocd I was born without, for me its just "get it working" hehe.

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 4:13am
It can get very pricey if you use kits but not if you get it done by a glass shop. The problem is that it takes a lot more work doing it this way. Measurements, mock ups, more measurements then adjust etc etc until you have it all worked out then strip it down, tidy the templates and take them in to get cut out of acrylic. It gets even cheaper if you use parts from old cases like the mobo tray and back plate.

I don't know if I will find the time to get my design done but I am determined to complete a scratch build one day Approve
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 5:30am
Originally posted by TAMW TAMW wrote:

Adding a fan solved the problem of course, they're now loading on 48c..

Huh. Ya Think? Tongue Funny how that works.

Sometimes it's better to have a brain fart than it is to look around and blame the dog LOL

Nice kit you have there.

Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

You need a bigger case Wacko

My vote is NO case. Instead one of those commercially built test bench. Or one of those Thermaltake get ups like DooRules here has.

Why, if I tried something like that I'd spend all my time keeping the wiring from going dingdingdingding up against a fan Wink

TAMW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TAMW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 7:54am
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

Small builds are challenging to keep tidy and with decent airflow. I take it your CPU cooler was blowing air up into the PSU extractor fan?

Forgot to reply.. Yes, I switched out the original psu fan to a noctua and ran it on 12v, air out the backside was quite hot during gaming Tongue

wardog are you running your amd UNDERCLOCKED??? What the fug man. LOL

Getting a Zen when it comes out? Gotta be pretty soon now I hope.

I haven't ran AMD since early 2010, but was always fun!

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 8:34am
Hey now. I just built this one ~2wks ago.

Underclocked? Fug you!LOL I'll have you know it's rock solid at 5.1Ghz, and that with AMDs poor FX IMC implementation yet still with 32GB(4x8GB) no less.

5.1Ghz w/32GB in my book ain't too shabby. I have a hoard of G.Skill here and my last two 4GB matched sticks of Samsung "Green Weenie' memory here I need to use instead of trying with this 32GB. But early results here is looking like I won the Silicon lottery with this 9590 I have.

My other boxes were stole enroute while moving to Arizona:

ASRock Z77 Extreme6/i7-3770K/Seasonic/H80i/32Gb G.Skill 2133
Asrock 990FX Professional/FX-8150/Seasonic/H80i/32Gb G.Skill 2133
ASRock FM2A88X Extreme6+/ A10-6800K/Seasonic/H80i/32Gb G.Skill 1866

I've been using AMD solely for over 25yrs now. That is until parsec talked me into that 3770K kit like 2 or 3 years ago.

I needed this 8-core workhorse to get my VMs up-n-running. A comparable Intel 8-core was not in the budget, obviously, being it would have been an Intel server chip.

AMD Fxs more than pull their weight running VMs. I'm extremely pleased with it. That 9590 and a pair of HP NC364T 4-port NICs and I've been off to the races since.

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 8:52am
Originally posted by TAMW TAMW wrote:

Getting a Zen when it comes out? Gotta be pretty soon now I hope.

You have one guess there if I am or not. Choose wisely Grasshopper!

Zen = Intel Slayer Wink
TAMW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TAMW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 11:34pm
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

My other boxes were stole enroute while moving to Arizona:

ASRock Z77 Extreme6/i7-3770K/Seasonic/H80i/32Gb G.Skill 2133
Asrock 990FX Professional/FX-8150/Seasonic/H80i/32Gb G.Skill 2133
ASRock FM2A88X Extreme6+/ A10-6800K/Seasonic/H80i/32Gb G.Skill 1866

Holy moly, that sucks. Moving is a bitch, but moving cross country is such a pain in the corn hole.

5,1ghz, thats gotta produce some heat! Have you delidded it? Or did AMD start soldering them on too? I delidded my i7 950 on 1366 that was soldered on with some razor blades and a lighter, but only lowered temp by 1 or 2 degrees C, so not worth the hassle.

Now you got me fired up on AMD again, fug my intel sh*t its out the door when Zen hits LOL
(just make me a badass matx board) Big smile

Still have my old 939 24/7 board DFI Lanparty NF4-D and Opteron 175 CCBBE 0613Rpmw running 3.2ghz stable with 4gb OCZ EB sticks 3-3-3-8 @ 268mhz in a retro rig here on water :P (down right now as I had to borrow some parts for the z97m setup, but will get it up and running soon again :)

Here is som old rarities I have for 939 and ATI (and my trusty NF4-D, don't frown at her ASRock guys, she m'lady) Tongue :

Opteron 190 for socket 939. 2.8ghz stock, never released as far as I understand.

Sapphire x1950pro dual gpu, only saw a couple reviews on it back in the day and it came after 8800gtx so was already outclassed, dont know it it ever got released, but very rare nontheless.

And my DFI

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
  Share Topic