ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z97M Anniversity OC limit?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 1:52am
Ahh yes. The 939 house heaters.

Somewhere her I still have my 10 Opty's I ran when folding. That room got 5 circuit breakers all it's own. 165's and  180's, all OC'ed on 3 ASUS A8NE's, 3 DFI UT Ultra-D's's, and the best Oc'ers among them ran on 4 DFI LanParty UT SLI-Dr's. All my NF4 boards raan with the same exact EverCool chipset cooler as you picture.

Long live Ockar Wu and his outrageous BIOSes he rolled while DFI still produced consumer boards. Oskar had a knack, and knowledge. Too, he did his magic at Abit before going to DFI.

Christ, I installed two, TWO, window AC units and had some ghetto plumbing using that flexible dryer duct hose plumbing the backs of all of 'em hoping to keep the room bearable when I was doing monthly maintenance to 'em.

Ha! I do!They didn't steal them. PTL Wink

Remember the high faluttin' magical G.Skill F1-4000USU2-2GBHZ kits? And the HZ Cheat Sheet that someone, forget now, from DFIStreet put together? I still have, and always will!, two 2GB kits of these HZ's. G.Sklill fanatic that I am. It was these kits from way back yonder that sold me on G.Skill and to this day I won't use anything but G.Skill. Even when I was building for customers up in MI, they all got G.Skill memory. No ifs ands or buts.

Those 10 boxes kept me in the Top 100 in The World for points produced daily.

Magical times indeed. With fondness I look back at 'em.

The 9590 @ 5.1 on all eight? Actually not too awful bad in the heat dept. The H115i keeps her cool regardless. Well, Ok. She does get warm but not toasty when I might run Prime wide open but I don't do that often here. And certainly not more than maybe 10 minutes.. I get shivers that folks still, still, will run P95 for 24hrs. All to prove what exactly? I dunno. But talk about drastically, dramatically??, shortening the life span of a processor. And I honestly believe most don't even think of the lasting damage done while doing so. Amazing. Simply amazing.

The, two yrs down the road they appear here complaining that their ASRock board is having issues with memory that's ran since then when in fact it's likely their IMC is nearing the peter out stage from days and days of running P95 when first built. i do not get it sometimes. I just don't.

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 2:03am
This thread is gold Smile
TAMW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TAMW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 3:28am
HAHA, yes I remember there being a 24/7 prime club on some forum XD Gave me a good chuckle LOL

I used to do a 12hour "burn in" on high volts on 939 when I got a NIB cpu, which seemed to help stability on higher oc :)

Nowadays I don't bother, dunno if it even helps anything anymore.

Same times as you on prime stress testing, 10min tops. Like when are the cpu going to run 100% load for more than 5 seconds in normal usage? :P In the 939 days it were a different story tho, as the cpus didn't pack that big of a punch, decoding stuff could take hours!

G.skill I have limited experience with, as I was a bh5/ch5 guy and I cant remember them offering anything like that. Had tons of OCZ VX sticks, my best ones ran 280mhz 2-2-2-7-1T @ 3.41v on my old DFI NF4 SLI-DR Venus (think it was board 872/1000), higher volts only made them more unstable. Venus died after I sold it to a friend, but the VX set is still alive =D

I did have one set of g.skill tho, a 1gb set pc4800 tccd.. They were quite good, 325mhz 2.5-4-4-8-1T  3dmark01 stable, cant remember volt, must have been 2.9v or something.

I never did any folding or such, but your ghetto ac plumbing story gave me a good laugh and made me think of something with my before mentioned friend that killed my Venus board..
He's into folding, hwbot points etc, and his autismo in the field is fuggin world class!

I was visiting him a few years ago and we decided it whould be fun to do some AMD oc'ing. He had prepped a quad socket AMD server board with copper sinks all over the vrms and custom mounted waterblocks, and we ducktaped radiators in the window, sucking the cold outside air in (it must have been -10c outside) The system had a total of 64 cores/threads, cant remember the socket name but you could access volt control/fsb etc via software in OS. I think it was wprime 1024 WR we were going for that day.

I think we ended up with 4.7ghz on all cores with around 1.47vcore, we ALMOST got the WR but on one of the runs we actually maxed out a corsair AX1200, drawing 1550w or something like that out of the wall socket, making the psu shut of..  in only cpu load! LOL The air coming through the radiators in was hot!

Good times :)
TAMW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TAMW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2016 at 2:26am
Got all quiet in here, have I stayed past my welcome? :P

Btw wardog, I read that the zen 8core will cost around 300 usd, but a "oc friendly" variant will be 500 usd.. Does this mean they have locked the cheaper ones from all overclocking you think? Or just that the $500 one is open multiplier maybe?

Sure hope you still can fsb oc the cheaper ones like before :)

Here is a couple of pics of the 4p oc rig I talked about in the previous post:

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2016 at 3:36am
Originally posted by TAMW TAMW wrote:

Btw wardog, I read that the zen 8core will cost around 300 usd, but a "oc friendly" variant will be 500 usd.. Does this mean they have locked the cheaper ones from all overclocking you think? Or just that the $500 one is open multiplier maybe?

Rumor so far. Not one speculation, only rumors.

I'd have imagined, this close to release, we'd have heard of this shift sooner. Much sooner.

Probably some Intel Fanboy doing double duty at her keyboard spouting off hoping it gets traction and ink.

And no. Everyone is Welcome here for as long as they'd like. Or that is until Xaltar or parsec Ban them Tongue
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2016 at 4:33am
Ban? Me? Never Tongue

Everyone is welcome here, well everyone except spammers, trolls and flamers, those I take great pleasure in banning Evil Smile

Keep the awesome posts and pics coming Thumbs Up
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2016 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by TAMW TAMW wrote:

Got all quiet in here, have I stayed past my welcome? :P

I've read there will be three levels of Zen processors, from top to bottom, SR7, SR5, and SR3. The following is unofficial rumors, mainly the clock speeds and price.

The over clocking SR7 model(s?) is said to be ~$300, which is an eight core, 16 thread CPU. That price is Intel's four core, eight thread territory... on sale. Clock speeds of the SR7 seems to be very similar to Intel's current Haswell-E and Broadwell-E, at ~3.5GHz, a bit more with Turbo. OC headroom is about the same as the Intel's just mentioned, 4.2GHz being typical average on air. The IPC of Zen is supposed to be competitive with the current Intel HEDT processors. The similar Intel 8 core, 16 thread CPU is twice that price.

If AMD can pull off these rumors, or stay close, they will have a winner IMO. If the guys that call 1% - 5% lower performance difference compared to Intel "wiping the floor with it", "blowing it away", or "if it's not better than Intel, it's no good", influence too many people, then AMD may have a problem.

If the AMD fans can actually bring themselves to buy a new mother board (that always kills me, yeah a five+ year old chipset is just fine... not) then Zen has a chance IMO. Or if they can't swallow the price of a processor above $100 (to put in their $50 board... come on people, get serious!) then Zen will have trouble in the PC world. But AMD may save themselves in the Enterprise world, with near Intel performance for a much lower price (who really loves those $4K Xeons.)

I'm an Intel person, but I truly hope for the best from Zen. Intel is plenty fat now, they can lose a few bucks and be fine.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2016 at 4:00pm
I couldn't agree more Parsec. 

Some things AMD has done right imo:

1. Marketing the Zen lineup years ahead of release, this means many AMD fans will have been holding off for Zen so will likely result in a boom of sales close to release.
2. This is probably not intentional but still plays in AMD's favor, the fact that AMD has not had a new socket in so very long means people upgrading will feel they have really gotten their money's worth out of their current systems.
3. Switching to more conventional cores with Zen, this means a more even playing field that isn't reliant on different usage examples for proper comparison between AMD and Intel. While Bulldozer and it's derivatives were very successful in their own right they compared poorly to intel from day one because software never really caught up to the technology and even when it started to it was typically only optimized for up to 4 cores (game engines are the main culprit here). Even today many game titles do not properly optimize for more than 4 cores which means half of an 8 core FX CPU is being under or improperly utilized. In the few games that are optimized to take advantage of the 4 module 8 thread FX we see very competitive performance with intel. Zen will remove the "in the few titles" from the equation and allow AMD to compete directly in all titles. This is assuming they live up to the rumors and hype, at least largely.
4. Merging APUs and regular CPUs onto a single socket, this will likely encourage motherboard sales in a big way.

I could go on but from where I sit, AMD looks poised to really shake up the market when ZEN hits, it would be tragic if despite all this they fall short.
TAMW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TAMW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2016 at 6:16pm
Interesting times for sure =)

Definitely consider myself an AMD guy at heart.

When I first bought my first pc in 2005, AMD was riding high with socket 939. I remember we used to have heated AMD vs Intel discussions in school and on lan parties, good fun :D

I was was so dissapointed when I found out the am2 cpu's were just k8 with ddr2 and even the first phenoms on this shiny new arcitecture didnt perform, that I kept my 939 setup with the DFI NF4-d, opteron 175 @ 3.2ghz and 4gb ram until the summer of 2009! Cuz I sure as hell wasn't getting any Intels inside the house walls XD

Finally when I upgraded to AM2+ and a x2 250, I cant say I was impressed. I then got a phenom2 940, which was pretty good but oc'd garbage. And then at last a phenom2 965 that ran 4.1ghz on water.

All was good and FPS was flowing, but I decided to take a trip to my old home town and didnt bother bringing my monster rig with me. And of course after about a week in, I almost went crazy without my pc.
So I went on the used sales sites and found a local dude that had a x48 board with a c2d 7500 dualcore. "Heck it, I'll just sell it when I get back home again, no-one will know"

But damn, that e7500 oc'd like a maniac on a little air cooler (up towards 4ghz). And performed like my quad core phenom2, about the same atleast.

So I get home again (left the c2d rig at my moms house in my old home town), and that phenom2 rig were suddently not that hot lookin' anymore.

A day didn't even go by, and by coincidence my friend that I mentioned in my previous posts (he goes by knopflerbruce on the forums btw) offered me a x58 board with a i7 920 and 6gb ram pretty cheap (was early 2010 by this point).

"Now what is this, x58 huh? Yea ok"

From this point on, I reluctanty have called myself "an Intel guy"
I absolutely LOVED socket 1366! The performance was mindblowingly insane, and you could overclock ANYTHING. Even 6 core xeons! On pretty much any motherboard!
I had so many 1366 cpus and boards.. I even had the Evga SR-2 dual socket board with 2x x5670's running 4.5ghz!

When sandy bridge came along, I got onboard pretty quick. And now what is this, I need a "K" cpu to oc it? ok, so I buy. with a H61 board... I need a "Z" chipset? What the hell? So I buy.
Cant even oc the 2600k with baseclock. multiplier and vcore. wow, so fun. Not. And not even the performance of a i7 970!

After this, I have bought pretty much every new platform, but went back to x58 or p55 after a while again out of boredom, back and forth. And just watched from the sideline AMD getting into more trouble.

SO.. Now I really hope like you said that Zen lives up to the hype and really performs! Not because I need better performance. But to make it FUN again!

Fully open cpu's and chipsets for overclocking is so much fun! And to make people talk about it again! That friction is so good to have :)

Can't wait for January, keeping the fingers crossed! =D
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2016 at 6:51pm
My experience with overclocking goes back to the intel 486 SX 25 which was the first CPU I owned that wasn't either in my family's PC or so old it couldn't run windows. I remember getting it to run at 40mhz (vs my parent's 486 DX4 100) with jumpers and oh man was I excited. I thought I had discovered the holy grail and that I was the first one to do it, trick the board into thinking my CPU was a faster model LOL It didn't take long before I discovered that this was called overclocking and that people did it all the time, even back then Embarrassed

I had overclocked 8086s before that but from 4 to 8mhz or 8 to 16mhz but that hardly seemed impressive and made little difference when you couldn't even run windows 3.1 on them. I also didn't know what the stock clocks on them were so for all I knew that was normal.... My SX 25 was my first real overclock on a current(ish) system.

The next system I really got excited about was centered around one of these bad boys:

The notorious (for the time) Celeron 300a. I got mine up to 700mhz with some very creative cooling but ran it at 633mhz with a monstrous heatsink and a pair of 120mm delta fans pilfered from an old server for day to day use. I don't think I have seen another CPU overclock to more than 200% of it's stock frequency since then. I kept that system for years before giving it to my wife (then girlfriend). 

Around the same time I discovered AMD's K6 range of CPUs, most notably the K6 III which could run (all K6s did) on older pentium socket 7 or "Super Socket 7" boards as were later released with an AGP slot and SDRAM support. I had a bunch of these as they allowed me to revive much older systems and have them perform as well as and sometimes better than the more current Pentium II/III.

Sadly, all my best overclocking CPUs have always been intel despite my love of AMD. I don't consider myself a fanboi of either though, I am a fan of the tech itself and typically own both Evil Smile  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
  Share Topic