ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z97M Anniversity OC limit?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TAMW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2016 at 5:13am
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

The notorious (for the time) Celeron 300a. I got mine up to 700mhz with some very creative cooling but ran it at 633mhz with a monstrous heatsink and a pair of 120mm delta fans pilfered from an old server for day to day use.

Wow, thats impressive! That is the first pentium platform, yes? Kinda wish I was a little older in the 90's, lots of fun tech around then :) Was there vcore adjustments in bios/jumpers back then, or only mods?

Tho I have played around a little with some of that stuff now in later times thanks to a decade older friend of mine, he also loved the 90s stuff and has multiple systems of 486, p1, p3 etc.. He always has some stories to tell about how they tricked around with hw in that time, before the internet became common place in every household. Very cool :)

I too had a delta 80mm that I bought (mistake :P) with my first system in 2005. My then x2 4400+ CCBWE oc'd like sh*t, think I had 1.6v on it for 2.7ghz. I stuffed wet chunks of paper in my ears before I went to sleep at night while my downloads were going :P

Here is a picture of the Opteron 175/DFI/x1900xtx rig I ran until 2009:

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2016 at 5:48am
Love that case, I would mod the hell out of that thing Evil Smile

The Celeron 300a (Mendocino) was a Slot 1 CPU so it was a cut down version of the Pentium II. The whole slotted CPU design came about because of cache shortages so CPU manufacturers got around it by using a daughter board system with different cache ICs that could be found more easily. Once the shortages were over we saw the birth of the first Pentium 3 (Coppermine) Socket 370 CPUs. 

I used a high end server board (I forget the model now) for my 300a which had jumpers that allowed me to manually set the BCLK all the way up to 166mhz via jumpers on the board, that combined with some insane voltage mods and cooling got my 700mhz result that stood as a record briefly among my co workers at the time. You have to bare in mind this was some years later and we didn't care if we burned up the CPUs we were playing with Tongue My cooling solution involved coating the entire motherboard and CPU+heatsink in thick non conductive grease and encasing the entire CPU in ice except for it's slot edge connector. I then submerged the entire motherboard in an ice-water filled bucket turned it on and waited for the sparks to fly. They didn't and I briefly got to see the glorious 700mhz figure on the post screen before the water began to boil and I shut it off LOL  We must have fried a dozen or so old boards experimenting with various overclocks and cooling methods in those days. If I had known about LN2 back then...... Interestingly HWbot only has 2 Celeron 300a entries of 700mhz and over, that was one hell of a CPU, I wish I still had it. I need to correct my last post, I ran mine at 533mhz 24/7 not 633.... typo.... Most hit 450mhz easily even on stock cooling. You also have to bare in mind we didn't have access to advanced coolers back then, it was either stock, slightly better than stock or completely home brew Wink I think I was in my late teens/early 20s back then and a little too careless with my kit now that I look back on it Embarrassed

I was so frustrated when one of my co workers managed 733mhz on his AMD K6 III 550, we were trying to see if any of us could get close to the 1ghz of the as yet unavailable at the time Pentium III coppermine 1ghz CPU that had just been released. He ended up winning the competition and a month of Friday afternoons off. Our boss was a blast and always came up with fun/crazy team competitions and team building exercises. I still maintain it wasn't fair, 550mhz to 733mhz was nothing compared to 300 to 700mhz Ouch

Edited by Xaltar - 23 Nov 2016 at 6:06am
TAMW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TAMW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2016 at 9:54am
HAHAHAHA! Now that is awsome! Work related overclocking-offs XD That ice water setup I can just picture in my head, marvelous LOL

Suicide runs on cpus is hella fun! The first time we saw 4ghz on a 939 cpu was ecstatic!

I did too play with ice water (nowhere near as crazy as your setup) but I had the luxury of 2006 :P Just dumped lots of icecubes in a big zalman alu res, and left my garrage door open (Sat in the garrage during oc sessions) with -10-15c outside..  Didnt get any results that session as both my cpu and gpu were badly coldbugged.

I later started working at a meat factory where they had a dice making machine that made powder dry ice like snow. Got it for free too, and got fresh beef, sausages, meatballs etc for like 80% off in the employee surplus store on site. Think I gained 10kg that year :P

The case is a chieftech mesh, it got the job done after some cutting and drillingWink Got quite a few disgusted looks from the "normies" at the big 5000+ people lanparties LOL

The gathering 2009 in Hamar, Norway..

Some Sli-DR Venus benching

And some dice chilled coke while the pot warms up again :P

TAMW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TAMW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2016 at 2:40pm
On another note, it seems like a perfect timing for Amd Zen in january.. I just got Battlefield 1 today, and it totaly maxes out my poor i5 LOL

100% load on cpu, and on the biggest and busy'est maps with 64 players with fog effects it stutters like crazy. gpu and memory controller load in gpuz isnt near 100.

Whouldn't have guessed a oc'd 4. gen i5 getting into trouble so soon :P

An actual valid reason to upgrade? Nice. Clap
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2016 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by TAMW TAMW wrote:

An actual valid reason to upgrade? Nice. Clap

An actual valid reason to upgrade!! Nice. Clap

You must stop posting before that first morning coffee .....

Tongue
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2016 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by TAMW TAMW wrote:

Hehe. My friend knopflerbruce came to the rescue and sent me a i7 4790k to use in the meantime Smile

When I wake up tomorrow, AFTER I'VE HAD MY COFFEE, i'll give that sucker a run for its transistors! Evil Smile

No I forgot..(z97m anniversity) But my VRMs will definetly have some fun! LOL

Squeel like a big they will.

Sorry dude, but that video was a bit much...

Actually, the screen shot that shows a BIOS firmware interface was more disgusting.

And yes, the VRMs will be on their knees with an i7-4790K, be sure to use an old version of Prime95 that uses AVX2 instructions if you want to release the blue smoke... Dead

Edited by parsec - 24 Nov 2016 at 10:48pm
TAMW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TAMW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2016 at 11:30pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Sorry dude, but that video was a bit much...

Damn, just when it was getting fun!?

There's just me and you mods watching, z97m anniversity has no RGB disco lights.. No kid will click on this thread LOL

But I gotcha.
Lets just hope the 4790k won't be so hungry for the volts =)
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2016 at 11:45pm
My 6600k runs at 1.23v stock, not so great for overclocking sadly. Most non ES 6600k CPUs run at about 1.1v stock so I am 123mv high from the start Confused

This little guy only manages about 4.4ghz before voltages and temps get out of hand, even using an AIO Corsair H105. My Z170 Pro4s is about the equivalent to your Z97 Anniversary but from the skylake lineup. I have added beefier VRM cooling to it but it hasn't opened any doors regarding overclocking unfortunately. It does look better tho....
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2016 at 12:00am
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

If the AMD fans can actually bring themselves to buy a new mother board (that always kills me, yeah a five+ year old chipset is just fine... not) then Zen has a chance IMO. Or if they can't swallow the price of a processor above $100 (to put in their $50 board...

Yea, right. Like keeping up with the Jones when Intel comes out with another socket/chipset every two years is any fun.

Aren't you, Xaltar, and myself  having a current discussion of the WAF somewhere here?
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2016 at 12:04am
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Aren't you, Xaltar, and myself  having a current discussion of the WAF somewhere here?

LMAO

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wife_acceptance_factor

See MIF: Marriage Interference Factor

That sums it up.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
  Share Topic