ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z97M Anniversity OC limit?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TAMW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2016 at 11:19pm
Threw in the i7 4790k yesterday, and holy damn that thing was hot! over 80c on the hottest core on STOCK.

Investigated the contact, and of course that IHS fugger was bent like a banana.
So I lapped the cpu, and it got a bit better, dropped 10-15c or so.
Got it running 4.4ghz 1.15v and primes at about 75-78c on the hottest core. Not too bad, but not alot of headroom either. Not that it matters, cpu is drawing 130w during prime, so vrms throttles in about a minute.

I tried dropping vcore to 1.1v, primes fine, but get random restarts so Im just running it at 4.4 1.15v now. won't get anywhere near 100% load for long periods anyway.

Battlefield now runs smooth atleast, 60-70% cpu load on average. Smile

Will hold me comfy until a nice matx zen board comes along LOL
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2016 at 11:29pm
C'mon man. Now who's underclocking, huh? Tongue

I just built this one up this week. And this is using Auto OC in the BIOS, Kiddie Style Big smile

TAMW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TAMW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2016 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

using Auto OC in the BIOS

This thread has gotten out of hand. Stock frequencies, AUTO OC... We should be ashamed of ourselves!

Hehe.

I was quite impressed by the performance of the igpu on skylake, a friend of mine ran World of Warcraft just to see when he had to rma his gtx 970, and to both of our surprise it ran almost smooth whith his normal settings! Pretty cool.

BTW, what is "system agent clock" in your picture? And the uncore, is that the NB frequency itself or something in the cpu?
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2016 at 3:25pm
Uncore is in reference to the CPU cache. It has been called a few different things depending on the manufacturer.
TAMW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TAMW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2016 at 3:48pm
Ah yes thats right..
TAMW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TAMW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2016 at 12:11am
Btw guys, what do you recommend for a new SSD for my OS?

I bought a bunch of OCZ Agility 3 disks back in 2010/11, none of them have failed me but I figure its time to switch them out BEFORE they die :P I've switched between them for my main os every reinstall or so to spread out the hours, this is my current:

I dont really care if its the fastest ssd, I just want quality that last for 5+ years!
I have a 500gb Samsung EVO for my games, so won't need more than 120-240gb for OS and programs etc..

I've heard people satisfied with the Samsung PRO 840 series in the past..
Any other suggestions?
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2016 at 12:23am
The TLC Toshiba/OCZ Trion 150's I have here are reasonably priced and don't carry Samsungs premium 3D price attached. They've a 3yr warranty though.

See what those fetch there in Norway though. Some items in the EU are, for reasons I don't fully understand, reasonably priced while other items seem double in what they should be.
TAMW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TAMW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2016 at 6:16pm
They are pretty cheap here too. I'm gonna keep my eyes open for good deals (black friday/cyber monday was pretty much nothing in the SSD department)

I may wait until I have a Zen mobo in my sights that have the m2 pcie port. Those SSDs are abit more expensive tho.

Did you guys get any good deals this past weekend?

Pretty much the only thing I got were the new arma 3 map 50% off, and battlefield 1 earlier in the week 33% off.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2016 at 6:32pm
Originally posted by TAMW TAMW wrote:

Did you guys get any good deals this past weekend?

My Wife made sure the only deal I got was a Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 2.5" for $129.99USD.

Which is fine I guess seeing I spent ~$1,000.00US last week on that i7-6700K getup in a Tt Core X9 case. My new test bench it is. Horizontal MB and room enough for both elbows in there.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2016 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Tt Core X9 case. My new test bench it is. Horizontal MB and room enough for both elbows in there.

Pure win!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
  Share Topic