ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z97M Anniversity OC limit?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2016 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by TAMW TAMW wrote:

Btw guys, what do you recommend for a new SSD for my OS?

I bought a bunch of OCZ Agility 3 disks back in 2010/11, none of them have failed me but I figure its time to switch them out BEFORE they die :P I've switched between them for my main os every reinstall or so to spread out the hours, this is my current:

I dont really care if its the fastest ssd, I just want quality that last for 5+ years!
I have a 500gb Samsung EVO for my games, so won't need more than 120-240gb for OS and programs etc..

I've heard people satisfied with the Samsung PRO 840 series in the past..
Any other suggestions?

WOW! If you can survive for that long with Agility 3s, you have the luck beyond belief!

Or you must be an example of the NOT an idiot factor at work, since I always wondered how many users could have problems like these drives supposedly had.

The Samsung 840 Pro is long out of production, but a used one would be great. I have two that are as good as on day one.

The 850 Pro has a 10 year warranty, but may be replaced soon. Still well worth it. I like the SanDisk Extreme Pro, another 10 year warranty model. Anything Intel is always good, if you don't mind a Sandforce controller, at least on standard 2.5" SSDs.

My best advice would be to avoid the cheap, lesser name brands, like Kingston.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2016 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Tt Core X9 case. My new test bench it is. Horizontal MB and room enough for both elbows in there.

Pure win!

The thing is monster sized.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2016 at 8:31pm
I'm loving my Define S, plenty of room and not too much desk real estate Big smile
TAMW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TAMW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2016 at 10:46pm
I'll probably go with Samsung pro, either 850 or 950 m2 :)

I have always used quality psu's (corsair hx/ax up until my current CM v1000) and kept the disks under 40c, that probably has something to do with them lasting :P

I whould never EVER buy something like a Kingston or Corsair SSD LOL
TAMW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TAMW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2016 at 10:59pm
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

[QUOTE=TAMW]and room enough for both elbows in there.

Haha, you weren't kidding! Just looked up the x9, jesus christ LOL

I was thinkin about a cube case back in the day, the Yeaon Yang yy-0420 nut never got around to buying before they were gone..
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2016 at 4:02am
Originally posted by TAMW TAMW wrote:

I'll probably go with Samsung pro, either 850 or 950 m2 :)

I have always used quality psu's (corsair hx/ax up until my current CM v1000) and kept the disks under 40c, that probably has something to do with them lasting :P

I whould never EVER buy something like a Kingston or Corsair SSD LOL

Good for you! I stick with manufactures that make their own NAND chips. Which means, Intel/Crucial, Samsung, SanDisk/Toshiba.

I have a few random OCZ SSDs, but post-SandForce models. A Vertex 4 and new RD400, with Toshiba NAND.

If ANY 2.5" SATA SSD I was using hit 40C, I would freak out! Not allowed!

Yes, M.2 SSDs run warmer, no case to use as a heatsink.
TAMW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TAMW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2016 at 9:07am
Went with a 256gb Samsung 850 Pro, around $140. Not the cheapest, but that 10yr warranty sold me along with their good rep.

I read SSD's may get more expensive soon as nand chips are short in stock or something, so figured I'd just buy now. The old spin disks took years to get back down in prices after that earthquake or flooding in the factory back in 2012 ish, and im guessing they're gonna be milking this "shortage" for pretty long :P
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2016 at 9:50am
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Yes, M.2 SSDs run warmer, no case to use as a heatsink.

Au contraire. Coming soon to an MSI board. And now I'd imagine the remainder of Manuf's also. Soon.

http://techreport.com/news/31031/msi-seeks-to-shield-m-2-ssds-from-thermal-throttling

TAMW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TAMW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2016 at 10:06am
While my NF4-D is out and about on some 3dmark2001 adventure with his friends Opteron 175 and X1900XTX, an old (but newer) friend took over the retro rig duties for a while ;)

TAMW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TAMW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2016 at 10:08am
btw, you guys got a thread on here where you have posted your rig's (and talk some smack)? LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
  Share Topic