ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z97M Anniversity OC limit?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2016 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by TAMW TAMW wrote:

btw, you guys got a thread on here where you have posted your rig's (and talk some smack)? LOL

Why, where half the posts in this Topic belong TongueSmileStar

http://forum.asrock.com/forum_topics.asp?FID=13&title=project-buildshare

TAMW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TAMW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 9:32pm
OOOOOOOOOHHH I'm fuCensoreding getting one!

Getting close to Zen launch now, and as far as I've seen they're gonna be awsome!
Just hope the cpu's are priced in the non insane range LOL
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 11:54pm
https://www.extremetech.com/computing/242252-amd-declares-ryzen-will-four-year-architecture-details-overclocking-plans-emphasizes-hard-launch

Also reassuring not to see AMD not jumping on the Intel "New Chipset/Socket a Week' bandwagon allthewhile fleecing the Intel Sheeple. I truly believe, in this economy, that people are finally beginning to step off that bandwagon, if only for a block, then, then, jump back on.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 11:57pm
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

I truly believe, in this economy, that people are finally beginning to step off that bandwagon, if only for a block, then, then, jump back on.

If not, then the reviews of Kaby Lake will convince them to.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 12:08am

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/242252-amd-declares-ryzen-will-four-year-architecture-details-overclocking-plans-emphasizes-hard-launch

Originally posted by In the link above was In the link above was wrote:

According to AMD, the relative handful of people who use multi-GPUs always use higher-end motherboards. Practically, this makes sense, since most people can?™t afford or don?™t want a second card, and if you do want one, you can probably afford a slightly more expensive motherboard. Given the typical price gap between AMD and Intel we don?™t see this being a major issue, either.

Nothing like $1200.00 SLI'd 1080s on a $69.99 H150 motherboard I say !
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 1:32am

Also reassuring not to see AMD not jumping on the Intel "New Chipset/Socket a Week' bandwagon allthewhile fleecing the Intel Sheeple. I truly believe, in this economy, that people are finally beginning to step off that bandwagon, if only for a block, then, then, jump back on.

Neither design style is perfect, both have compromises.

I refuse to engage in name-calling, fan-boy-ism.

I'm surprised AMD is staying with the static socket design again. Ask yourself, how well did that serve them in the past? In terms of adding new features to the platform?

The Zen processor design with more of the chipset functions in the processor itself, should improve or fix that apparent limitation. AMD should have learned by now how to do that, and they have a huge potential advantage they could leverage, if they can do it.

The mother board itself is still a factor, due to the unknown nature of new interfaces like M.2 and DDR4, for example.

If AMD, for example, could add something like PCIe 4.0 to the processor, without the need to change anything in the mother board, that is the advantage I'm referring to.

For example, AMD could not add PCIe 3.0 to the FX/900 series systems. We know that was caused by the chipset being the source of the PCIe lanes to the PCIe slots. That is an example of the overall design being a limitation.

Intel updated their 100 series chipsets (most of them) to a DMI3 interface. That allowed the M.2 ports to use the chipset for their connectivity, and no longer used the processors PCIe 3.0 lanes for the M.2 ports. That required a new mother board. If AMD could do a similar thing by simply changing the chipset features within the processor, that is another example of the potential of the Zen design.

The ASRock mother board engineers are likely laughing at that statement. The realities of the hard wired connections between the resources and interfaces makes things like this extremely difficult, if not completely impossible. It also is an example of the need for a new mother board design.

My point is that every new socket, chipset, and resulting new mother board design from Intel is not simply milking consumers for no reason each time. Note that I did not say it was justified each and every time.

I hope that AMD is not designing themselves into a corner again with the unchanging platform. They should have learned from, IMO, that mistake of the past. Changing the platform with each or every other generation is easy. Evolving a platform without changing the mother board is very difficult. If AMD can do that at least to some degree, then they WILL have beaten Intel. I wish AMD luck.

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 2:56am
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

I refuse to engage in name-calling, fan-boy-ism.

Still hung up on this huh? That political PM must have gotten your shorts WAY up there.

I don't mean anything by it, or directed at anyone in particular.

I'll be the first to say Intel has/had a better processor and chipsets. But really, just how much of that do real world buyers use? There are a few, yet IMO iit's akin to the old retired fart buying himself a Ferrari or 'Vette.

I'm sorry you feel the need to comment when I get all up, AMD like. It's isn't directed at anyone yet I feel you take it on the chin, all personal like..
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 3:30am
Both have merits IMO, AMD just flogged a dead horse way too long with AM3/+.  AMD has always appealed to the budget user and being able to keep basically the same system and upgrade just the CPU and GPU from time to time was a great thing at the start. Unfortunately they just couldn't bring worth while upgrades to market after a point. 

Intel does some great things with their chipsets and socket iterations but they are not budget friendly and certainly could stand to maybe switch to 3 generations per socket. Given they have given up on the tick/tock mythos it would make sense to introduce one more generation per socket. At least that is my opinion. 

I have always gone for one of the 2 basic formulas

1. Bang for buck
2. Longevity

If I had the cash for a more powerful setup I would typically go with intel, much as sockets change more often I would have still been more or less set today even with an i7 2600k. If budget was limited however then AMD offered more for less, at least till intel eclipsed them completely. 
TAMW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TAMW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 10:36am

Also reassuring not to see AMD not jumping on the Intel "New Chipset/Socket a Week' bandwagon

This. This is what i want. Now I do agree with parsec that it is unfortunate if they box them selves in feature wise, especially for itx users.. (tho I see no itx boards pictured yet?) Personally I dont care about having the latest gadgets onboard, I'm fine with just using expansion cards for anything I need. Cause it IS nice to be able to upgrade just the cpu down the line.

But what got me excited.. And I mean fully erect. Was they will still have the pins on the CPU, not in the fuc*ing motherboard socket. I HATE lga sockets. One bent pin that doesn't want to be fixed (likely to goof up more pins when trying to straighten one as they are "pre bent") and there goes $200.

I always get countered here with "well isn't it better to buy a new $150-200 mobo than a $350-450 cpu?" Yes, but I have never failed to straighten bent cpu pins, EVER, even pretty messed up ones.. But I have lost many a LGA board to that sh*t. Even with only one bent pin where I got it straight, then the next time I switched cpu the pin broke and board dead. I guess it got fatigued and eventually snapped as the serve as "springs" too.

Anyway it will be interesting. Are the release still later this month or are they dragging it on? I see someplaces it says "sometime in Q1"..

I wonder if the vrm coolers have the same mounting spaces as older coolers so I can find some cheap old vrm waterblocks for them :)

At least that matx board has 9 cpu phases compared to my z97m's 3... *knocking on my empty head* XD
TAMW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TAMW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2017 at 8:16am
So have any of you gotten Zen'd up yet?

Getting mine in a few weeks probably, waiting for the AB350M pro4 to get in stock.
Going with the r7 1700 :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
  Share Topic