ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z97M Anniversity OC limit?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TAMW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z97M Anniversity OC limit?
    Posted: 07 Nov 2016 at 7:59pm
I have a z97m anniversity and a i5 4670k on watercooling. The cpu oc's ok, but returns to stock after a while under prime95 etc do to some current limitation in the bios im guessing. I have turned off everything there is to turn off in the bios regarding limitations and power saving, but still this happens.

What am I missing?

Im running the latest bios p2.10.

I have thermal glued heatsink on the VRMs, and they are nice and cool.

Can you (asrock) or some handyman provide me a bios where the limits are totally disabled? I have voided the warranty anyway with gluing the sinks on, I just want som badass speeds on my 4670k ;)
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2016 at 10:26pm
Limits? There are no limits set on the board or in/by the BIOS !

If P95 kicks it out to a reboot or freezes with a BSOD, then the system/OC isn't stable.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2016 at 10:28pm
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Limits? There are no limits set on the board or in/by the BIOS !

If P95 kicks it out to a reboot or freezes with a BSOD, then the system/OC isn't stable.

Go ahead and list out the parts used in your computer. Include the make and model of the PSU. And the PSUs age too.
TAMW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TAMW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2016 at 3:20am
So my problem isn't bsod or random restarts, its that the cpu frequency returns to stock after awhile under prime95 loads, then when I stop prime95, it returns to oc frequency again. To me it seems like some current limit or something kicks in.. The higher I have vcore and frequency, the faster this happens.  I have the long duration limit set to 1000, which is max.

Rest of my setup is:

-i5 4670k (loads around at 70c when oc'd, watercooled)
-Coolermaster v1000w, under a year old.
-16gb crucial sport vlp 1600mhz
-msi gtx 1060 6gb

Edited by TAMW - 13 Nov 2016 at 4:47am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2016 at 6:56am
Water cooled huh ...........

DO NO TOUCH, but place the back of your hand over near the three largish square VRMs located above the CPU socket. While you use water cooling the necessary air flow is removed that would normally blow over them to keep them "cool'.

They should feel warm at a close distance. Not hot enough that there's no way you'd lay your hand on them.

But what you describe to this point with your last post is it appears it's throttling due to the VRMs heating up and kicking in their limit protection.

Yea, post back how hot they are. With water cooling, I'm betting you need a fan over the VRMs now.

Edited by wardog - 13 Nov 2016 at 6:57am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2016 at 10:46am
Originally posted by TAMW TAMW wrote:

I have a z97m anniversity and a i5 4670k on watercooling. The cpu oc's ok, but returns to stock after a while under prime95 etc do to some current limitation in the bios im guessing. I have turned off everything there is to turn off in the bios regarding limitations and power saving, but still this happens.

What am I missing?

Im running the latest bios p2.10.

I have thermal glued heatsink on the VRMs, and they are nice and cool.

Can you (asrock) or some handyman provide me a bios where the limits are totally disabled? I have voided the warranty anyway with gluing the sinks on, I just want som badass speeds on my 4670k ;)

OMGosh, seriously!?! On a 2 + 1 phase/component VRM design? I don't care how cool the heat sinks on the chips feel, you can still kill them with current draw. That the heat sinks are "nice and cool" tells me they are not working as well as you think they are.

I just ran a "wimpy" Intel IXTU stress test on my i5-6600K at 4.4GHz. The 12 phase VRM temperature was ~111° F, with three 140mm intake fans, two 140mm exhaust fans, and 120mm + 140mm fans on the CPU cooler. 111° F is warm to the touch, which I would not classify as "nice and cool", but that's just me.

Since you are asking how to potentially destroy your board, which you would eventually discover on your own I imagine (unless the UEFI protects it from destruction), I'll do that sooner than later. I have your documented request to kill your board preserved in this post.

But first my modified Disclaimer, borrowed from ASRock:

Please realize that there are certain is a definite risk involved with overclocking on your board, including adjusting the options in the BIOS, applying Untied Overclocking Technology, or using third-party overclocking tools. Overclocking may affect your system's stability, or even most likely cause damage to the components and devices of your system. It is done at your own
risk and expense. I am not responsible for damage caused by overclocking.

Have you configured these options in OC Tweaker to their maximum settings? Higher numbers are moar powah.

Long Duration Power Limit

Long Duration Maintained

Short Duration Power Limit

Primary Plane Current Limit

Of course you have disabled:

CPU Integrated VR Faults

CPU Integrated VR Efficiency Mode

Power Saving Mode

Another thing you can do is install Intel IXTU, where you might be able to modify all the Power Limits and Duration's beyond what is allowed in your UEFI. Sorry, the forums link tool chokes on URLs with a '?' in them, so highlight the link text below, left click on it and select an Open option:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24075/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-Intel-XTU-?product=66427

I'm not suggesting this as an over clocking tool (although it is actually very good, but not considered cool by some OC enthusiasts) but as a way to achieve what you want to do. It might also show you what is causing your OC to throttle to stock speeds.

The display on the Stress Test screen, on the lower right in blue, has many options not shown by default. Click on the blue wrench icon on the far right to reveal a list of everything that can be displayed and monitored. The parameters you should monitor include:

Thermal Throttling

Power Limit Throttling

Current Limit Throttling

Motheboard VR Thermal Throttling

If you see any of those displayed as Yes during stress testing, you've reached a limit.

How long is "after a while", when the CPU switches to stock clock speeds? Assuming your CPU temperature is below 100° C, then the following would explain the change in CPU speed.

If it is a short time, under one minute, that is a UEFI/system imposed power/current limit throttle.

If it takes longer than one minute, it is probably a VR (Voltage Regulator) over temperature power throttling.

Intel recently added a list of things that their newer processors will flag as Performance Limit Reasons. My Skylake processor has 31 different Performance Limit Reasons. I forget how many my Haswell processors have. Some are not applicable to an OC, but if you want to monitor those parameters, run the HWiNFO64 Sensor display.

The first and only time I ever had any CPU thermal throttle was my i5-4670K, on an ASRock Z87 Extreme6 board (12 Phase VRM.) Hit 100C running AIDA64 stress test with a Corsair AIO cooler in a minute or two. Haswell runs hot hot hot!! Nuke

There is Zero chance ASRock will provide a custom UEFI/BIOS to bypass any power limits that might be programmed into the UEFI. A 'Z' board should be wide open regarding power settings, but the ability of the board's VRMs to supply that power is a different situation, and certainly not a given for every board.

TAMW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TAMW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2016 at 5:40pm
Haha, so you are probably 100% correct here, I measured around 90c on the vrm sinks when the cpu throttle happens. When I felt them as "nice and cool" I was running air cooling, so they had good flow. I cant believe I didnt think of this :P

I'll try mounting a fan over the sinks. I'll report back.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2016 at 7:02pm
Hahahaha, Like I said DO NOT touch them. Back in the Athlon XP days I left some seared skin on some hot sinks.

Dang guy. 90c is 194degF !!!

And yes. A fan style CPU cooler distributes air over the surrounding parts. Using a water cooler doesx zero zip zilch to cool these parts. If you look in the manual for your cooler it most likely states when installing the water cooler to place a fan over these parts.

Unfortunately, I'm with parsec on this boards 2+1 VRMs having not much chance to net you the OC you're hoping for. There just isn't the room for a decent spread of VRMs to accomplish much OC'ing on a micro-ATX motherboard.

Edited by wardog - 13 Nov 2016 at 7:08pm
TAMW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TAMW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2016 at 10:14pm
Adding a fan solved the problem of course, they're now loading on 48c.. Let the OC commence =)

I have been overclocking my sh*t for 10-11 years myself, I even held the WR for highest frequency on the AMD x2 4400+ on socket 939 for a while with 3513mhz on dry ice. I had 3630mhz also validated, but my usb stick goofed and corrupted everything on it so didnt get it to ripping.org sadly :P

Haven't been doing much oc'ing other than on water with socket 1366 since then tho for my gaming rig.

I dont know why brain farted so bad and I missed the vrm cooling XD

Thank you both for helping :)

I dont hope for any insane results considering the cpu temps are in the 60s on just 4ghz 1.15v, but atleast I wont get vrm throttled now!

Heres some pics of the 103% ghetto rig this is concerning:

The copper plate under the gpu is for shielding my soundcard from (((nvidia coilwhine))), hehe.

Edited by TAMW - 13 Nov 2016 at 10:15pm
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2016 at 10:23pm
The OCD in me just blew a gasket LOL

You need a bigger case Wacko
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic