ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to install USB 3 drivers?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2016 at 1:29am
To Parsec:

Thank you for trying to help, however if you read my first post, ver. 15.20 1065 "IS" the version that I tried. I downloaded this one because it also covers Windows 10, which I have installed on a separate hard drive in the same computer. I don't recall if I ever tried the USB 3.0 drives with the Windows 10 installation. I might try that, but I am disgusted with Windows 10 and have no intention of using it, therefore am hoping to fix this Windows 7 problem.

The drives are hard drives, not thumb drives. I have two of them, both in external cases, one brand new, one about 2 years old, both have their own connector cable.

I have tried both drives with both the front panel USB 3 connector, and the rear panel USB 3 connectors, which are connected directly to the motherboard. Same problem, so cabling / power connections is not the issue.

Both drives work correctly when used with USB 2 connectors.

Yes, I understand that the USB 3 Hubs are the problem, as evidenced by the screenshot and Hardware ID that I submitted. The question is what to do about them.

I don't know what you're referring to when you say "no inbox drivers for it"

Based on the fact that a re-install of the All-In-1 driver package (as mentioned) did not install Hub drivers, and the fact that Windows claims there are no Hub drivers installed, my guess is that the file(s) that comprise the USB 3 Hub drivers is/are installed, but are corrupted. That might explain why the driver Setup program does not install them (it sees they are already there), but Windows doesn't recognize them (as they are corrupt)

If someone can advise me on which files comprise the USB 3 Hub drivers, I will delete those and run the drivers Setup program again.

If you have those files installed on a computer, a look in the Properties window should list the actual file names. If you can pass those filenames on to me, I will be grateful.

thanks
john
JohnS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2016 at 10:03am
Well looks like I fixed it ... In Device Manage I right-clicked one of the  unknown devices under "Other Devices" and clicked Update Driver Software. I had been here before and had clicked "Search automatically ..." which failed.

This time I clicked "Browse my computer.. " and on the next page clicked "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"  ( I haven't gone down this path in years, since the last time I had to manually install a parallel port printer).

In the list that appears, I scrolled down to USB controllers and opened that. Right there was the AMD USB 3.0 Root Hub driver. Installed that and repeated the steps for the other unknown device.

Working perfectly now. You may mark this as case closed.

ps ... thanks to Wardog for reminding me about Hardware IDs in Device Manager ... that helped me figure out what I was looking for.

thanks
john

Edited by JohnS - 02 Dec 2016 at 10:18am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2016 at 10:40am
Originally posted by JohnS JohnS wrote:

To Parsec:

Thank you for trying to help, however if you read my first post, ver. 15.20 1065 "IS" the version that I tried. I downloaded this one because it also covers Windows 10, which I have installed on a separate hard drive in the same computer. I don't recall if I ever tried the USB 3.0 drives with the Windows 10 installation. I might try that, but I am disgusted with Windows 10 and have no intention of using it, therefore am hoping to fix this Windows 7 problem.

The drives are hard drives, not thumb drives. I have two of them, both in external cases, one brand new, one about 2 years old, both have their own connector cable.

I have tried both drives with both the front panel USB 3 connector, and the rear panel USB 3 connectors, which are connected directly to the motherboard. Same problem, so cabling / power connections is not the issue.

Both drives work correctly when used with USB 2 connectors.

Yes, I understand that the USB 3 Hubs are the problem, as evidenced by the screenshot and Hardware ID that I submitted. The question is what to do about them.

I don't know what you're referring to when you say "no inbox drivers for it"

Based on the fact that a re-install of the All-In-1 driver package (as mentioned) did not install Hub drivers, and the fact that Windows claims there are no Hub drivers installed, my guess is that the file(s) that comprise the USB 3 Hub drivers is/are installed, but are corrupted. That might explain why the driver Setup program does not install them (it sees they are already there), but Windows doesn't recognize them (as they are corrupt)

If someone can advise me on which files comprise the USB 3 Hub drivers, I will delete those and run the drivers Setup program again.

If you have those files installed on a computer, a look in the Properties window should list the actual file names. If you can pass those filenames on to me, I will be grateful.

thanks
john

"Inbox" drivers is the term for drivers included in the Windows installation files.

Since they were apparently included in Windows, which you loaded manually, the question is why weren't they loaded automatically?

The answer may be because the Windows 7 installer does not have any USB 3.0 drivers included. Yes, you need the hub driver, but if it was there, why was it not installed?

Or was it "there" after one of the myriad Windows 7 updates? Regardless, since we have not been seeing other complaints like yours about your board, it remains a mystery why you had to install that driver manually.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic