ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Workstation build X99 Extreme 11 boot problems

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The_Dutchman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Workstation build X99 Extreme 11 boot problems
    Posted: 14 Dec 2016 at 11:22pm
Dear Sir/Madam,

I have a stability problem with a brand new workstation build, for simplicity I list here my hardware with all drives & PCI devices removed, so I only have left on the board:

- Intel Xeon E5-2687WV4 12 core 30MB cache
- Corsair Dominator DDR4 RAM 4*x16GB in the black slots (also tried already with just one stick) CMD64GX4M4B2800C14 not even overclocked, just running at 2133MHz for now.
- NZXT Kraken X61 watercooler
- PNY Quadro M4000
- Corsair HX1200i

The problem is that I can't get to the BIOS everytime I try. I even tried without a graphics card installed and I still get fault codes in the 92 region. All related to PCI-E operation. Sometimes I will get into the bios successfully for 19 times until the fault code appears, sometimes just 8 times, and sometimes I get the fault code immediately.

I already updated to the latest 3.2 bios version. There are 2 PCI-E molex connectors which the manual says should be connected when 3 or more graphics cards are used, so I didn't bother to connect these as this would clutter the setup more with cables. And I only use 1 grahpics card.

I also experienced that when I got in the bios, after a minute or sow the bios starts to get very slow drawing on the screen, I can see the redrawing of a horizontal line going down. It is definitely not RAM, CPU or graphics card, as I have this build twice and already swapped all these components and the problem still persists. Problem appears in both setups.

Any idea what this issue might be? A bios firmware issue?

Edited by The_Dutchman - 14 Dec 2016 at 11:26pm
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2016 at 1:20am
Does it exhibit this ... issue ... when running the mem at 2133?

You're good on BIOS 3.20 . Your E5-2687W v4 req's 3.00 or above. Golden there.

Max draw of your M4000 is 120w and uses a single 6pin PCIe connection

X99's are very finicky concerning memory. Looking in CPU-z or other that displays the JEDEC Timings programmed is there a 2400 listed that you would enter manually their timings and voltage?

64GB of 2800 CAS 14 huh? That'll be a slog getting them there.

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2016 at 1:25am
RutRoh.

I don't see that Corsair lists this particular 64GB kit as compatible with this MB. That's not me saying they won't necessarily work only that Corsair doesn't list this kit under the QVL listing for it.

Time you contacted Corsair Tech Support and inquire. And tell them you and I hate that we have to Register before contacting them for support of their products.

Not shilling here but just saying Big smile
http://www.gskill.com/en/configurator?manu=52&chip=2276&model=2328
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2016 at 1:26am
BTW, I'm jealous. Nice rig.
The_Dutchman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The_Dutchman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2016 at 3:14am
Hi Wardog,

Thank you, also for the G.SILL tip! I don't think the DDR4 is the problem for inconsistents boots as the fault codes always point towards PCI-E and not RAM. On 1 system I got it fully installed and running Windows 10, in fact I'm typing this post on it right now. After the POST everything is stable. Just for show of, I installed this on a 1TB RD400 M.2 SSD with a 4 2TB disks as 4TB RAID10 backup. As the inconsistent boots also appear without these drives, they are not the cause. As you can see it is a pretty expensive system and I don't like hitting the reset button 5 times before it gets through the POST... :)

Below are some pictures of CPU-Z. I'm an enthousiast, but where can I see if my RAM frequency is exactly the 2800MHz I bought it to be?

Thanks!
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2016 at 3:19am
Originally posted by The_Dutchman The_Dutchman wrote:

DRAM Frequency x2 = RAM speed (DDR=Double Data Rate) 

So in this case 1066.5 x 2 = 2133 
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2016 at 1:44pm

Just for show of, I installed this on a 1TB RD400 M.2 SSD with a 4 2TB disks as 4TB RAID10 backup.

Stop! You really know know to hurt a guy, don't you.

Wish I too were still single LOL

Ok. The pics and you state it runs fine at 2133. 64GB @ 2133, not 64GB @ 2800.

Let me get parsec, another Moderator, in here that has an X99 board to offer up his expertise on X99's.

In the mean time, plug both the boards PCIE_PWRx 4-pin molex's from the PSU and test if this is repeatable. I can't find doc's on your M4000 of where and how much power it draws from the PCIe bus.

No harm will come from doing so. The two only provide supplemental power should it be needed.

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2016 at 11:40pm

On 1 system I got it fully installed and running Windows 10, in fact I'm typing this post on it right now.

So ..... You've built two identical systems and only one exhibits this?
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2016 at 11:46pm

I even tried without a graphics card installed and I still get fault codes in the 92 region.

Waking and rereading sometimes leads to a fresh  perspective ............

Turning a corner now knowing two have two systems  ............

This problem machine, do you have another GPU you can temp like put on this machine to test if the M4000 is causing issues?

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2016 at 12:06am

Dear Sir/Madam,

I have a stability problem with a brand new workstation build, for simplicity I list here my hardware with all drives & PCI devices removed, so I only have left on the board:

- Intel Xeon E5-2687WV4 12 core 30MB cache
- Corsair Dominator DDR4 RAM 4*x16GB in the black slots (also tried already with just one stick) CMD64GX4M4B2800C14 not even overclocked, just running at 2133MHz for now.
- NZXT Kraken X61 watercooler
- PNY Quadro M4000
- Corsair HX1200i

The problem is that I can't get to the BIOS everytime I try. I even tried without a graphics card installed and I still get fault codes in the 92 region. All related to PCI-E operation. Sometimes I will get into the bios successfully for 19 times until the fault code appears, sometimes just 8 times, and sometimes I get the fault code immediately.

I already updated to the latest 3.2 bios version. There are 2 PCI-E molex connectors which the manual says should be connected when 3 or more graphics cards are used, so I didn't bother to connect these as this would clutter the setup more with cables. And I only use 1 grahpics card.

I also experienced that when I got in the bios, after a minute or sow the bios starts to get very slow drawing on the screen, I can see the redrawing of a horizontal line going down. It is definitely not RAM, CPU or graphics card, as I have this build twice and already swapped all these components and the problem still persists. Problem appears in both setups.

Any idea what this issue might be? A bios firmware issue?

An intermittent problem like you are having is the most difficult to diagnose.  Pinch

When you do have the POST failure problem, is there anything at all that seems to be consistent when it happen? Such as, it happens when you restart the PC from Windows? Or does it happen on a cold start, from a shutdown state of the PC?

Do you use the Restart to UEFI program that ASRock provides?

The UEFI/BIOS display slowing down is very unusual, have you experienced that with every UEFI/BIOS version? Do you recall about how many different UEFI/BIOS versions you've used with your boards?

I know you don't think your memory is involved in this issue, but memory problems can cause PCIe issues. I'm suspicious about the PCIe POST code shown when no video card is in the board. 64GB of memory may need a bit more DRAM voltage. You could also try setting MRC Fast Boot to Disabled, and Memory Test to Enabled. That will slow down POST, which is already slow on any X99 system, but worth trying.

The following UEFI/BIOS options are found in the Chipset Configuration screen in the UEFI/BIOS. You may or may not have set these from their defaults, and I cannot say configuring them will fix your issues, but they are worth trying:

Above 4G Decoding: Set to Enabled.

PCIE1.2.3.4 and 5 Link Speed: Whichever PCIe slot you use for your video card, set it to Gen3.

PCI-E ASPM Support: Disabled by default, if you have it enabled, try Disabled.

Moving on, do you use the Fast Boot option, in the Boot screen? This option is really Fast POST, and causes an abrupt POST process, that can cause side effects. Try disabling it if you have it set otherwise.

Have you used other video cards with these boards, and still experience the same issues?

I see there is a very new driver update for your video card from Nvidia, not that it should make a difference in the pre-OS environment:

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/113024/en-us

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic