ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X58 Supercomputer issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dynamizer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X58 Supercomputer issue
    Posted: 19 Dec 2016 at 2:12am
Hello.
I have this nice motherboard and I use it everyday since years without no big problems.
I noticed a weird behavior tho.
When I put the system to sleep (S.T.R., or S3 suspend), when I wake it back up, the PCI-e bus won't go to 2.0 when needed but get stuck to 1.1, also it loses sometimes the connection of one of my hdd, always the same, a WD 2Tb.
I found out about it with GPU-Z, using the stress test integrated.
Also rebooting won't fix the issue and I must shut down or get it to hybernate (that's like shutting down) to get the PCI-e to go to 2.0 when needed.
I normally use Windows Vista sp2 32 bit, but I also tried Windows 10 64 bit: same issue occurs.
Configuration of the sys:
i7 920 @ default
kit of 3 x 2gb Team Group Tri-Elite 1333 ddr3 (total 6gb)
GPU Geforce GTX 560 1 GB pci-e 2.0 @ default
3 x hdd: 250 Gb, 2 Tb, 1 Tb.
PSU Cooler Master 650W RP-650-PCAP

Does it happen to other X58 motherboards, so to be a chipset bug, or only to the X58 supercomputer mobo, or just to me?
Or does anyone know how to fix it?
Thanks in advance.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2016 at 12:49am
Originally posted by Dynamizer Dynamizer wrote:

Hello.
I have this nice motherboard and I use it everyday since years without no big problems.
I noticed a weird behavior tho.
When I put the system to sleep (S.T.R., or S3 suspend), when I wake it back up, the PCI-e bus won't go to 2.0 when needed but get stuck to 1.1, also it loses sometimes the connection of one of my hdd, always the same, a WD 2Tb.
I found out about it with GPU-Z, using the stress test integrated.
Also rebooting won't fix the issue and I must shut down or get it to hybernate (that's like shutting down) to get the PCI-e to go to 2.0 when needed.
I normally use Windows Vista sp2 32 bit, but I also tried Windows 10 64 bit: same issue occurs.
Configuration of the sys:
i7 920 @ default
kit of 3 x 2gb Team Group Tri-Elite 1333 ddr3 (total 6gb)
GPU Geforce GTX 560 1 GB pci-e 2.0 @ default
3 x hdd: 250 Gb, 2 Tb, 1 Tb.
PSU Cooler Master 650W RP-650-PCAP

Does it happen to other X58 motherboards, so to be a chipset bug, or only to the X58 supercomputer mobo, or just to me?
Or does anyone know how to fix it?
Thanks in advance.

Wake from Sleep issues can be very difficult to fix, or impossible in some cases. I had a P67 chipset board that would not allow the video card to start when waking from S3 Sleep. I would get a message in the Windows 7 Event Log about the video "driver" not responding within the expected time. You should check the Windows Event log for possible clues about your issue.

What BIOS version are you using now?

In the BIOS, ACPI Configuration screen, there is an option called Repost Video on STR Resume, which is set to No by default. STR is Suspend To RAM, which is S3 Sleep. Try setting it to On for the PCIe speed issue.

X58 boards use the dual chipset design. The SATA controller is in the ICH10R chip in your board. What is the SATA mode (Configure SATA As) set to in the BIOS? Since you seem to lose connection to the WD 2TB drive intermittently, check the cable connections and replace the SATA data cable.

In the BIOS, Chipset Configuration screen, there are several voltage options related to the X58 and ICH10R chipsets. Such as the ICH Voltage option (for the ICH10R) and the IOH/ICH PCIE Voltage option (related to both chips.) Try increasing these by 0.1V or more to see if that helps.

Do you have the Intelligent Energy Saver option in Chipset Configuration enabled? If so, try disabling it.

Your PSU may be a bit small for an X58 system, and a 560 video card. Or it may be getting old.

Dynamizer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dynamizer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2016 at 4:00am
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Wake from Sleep issues can be very difficult to fix, or impossible in some cases. I had a P67 chipset board that would not allow the video card to start when waking from S3 Sleep. I would get a message in the Windows 7 Event Log about the video "driver" not responding within the expected time. You should check the Windows Event log for possible clues about your issue.

Where should I look into? Even tho I guess that I wouldn't find anything, I think the issue is hardware related and not software related.

Quote What BIOS version are you using now?

Latest, 3.40

Quote In the BIOS, ACPI Configuration screen, there is an option called Repost Video on STR Resume, which is set to No by default. STR is Suspend To RAM, which is S3 Sleep. Try setting it to On for the PCIe speed issue.

There's no such option in my bios config.

Quote X58 boards use the dual chipset design. The SATA controller is in the ICH10R chip in your board. What is the SATA mode (Configure SATA As) set to in the BIOS? Since you seem to lose connection to the WD 2TB drive intermittently, check the cable connections and replace the SATA data cable.

The controller is set as AHCI and there's no cable or plugs problem, I double checked and even tried every port on the board and changed some spare cables. All to no avail.

Quote In the BIOS, Chipset Configuration screen, there are several voltage options related to the X58 and ICH10R chipsets. Such as the ICH Voltage option (for the ICH10R) and the IOH/ICH PCIE Voltage option (related to both chips.) Try increasing these by 0.1V or more to see if that helps.

Ok I'll give it a shot.

Quote Do you have the Intelligent Energy Saver option in Chipset Configuration enabled? If so, try disabling it.

I'll check it out this too.

Quote Your PSU may be a bit small for an X58 system, and a 560 video card. Or it may be getting old.

That's quite unlikely: I've used to stress my system with some benchmark and it doesn't even seem to notice it (except some little fan speeding).

Thank you for now.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2016 at 6:47am

Hello.

[quote]Your PSU may be a bit small for an X58 system, and a 560 video card. Or it may be getting old.

That's quite unlikely: I've used to stress my system with some benchmark and it doesn't even seem to notice it (except some little fan speeding).

Your PSU is old.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2016 at 1:35am
I can only go by your board's manual, since I don't have your board. If the BIOS options were changed, and the manual was not updated to reflect those changes, I'm stuck.

But please check this in your BIOS settings, from your board's manual, in the ACPI Configuration section:

Suspend to RAM

Use this item to select whether to auto-detect or disable the Suspend-to-RAM
feature. Select [Auto] will enable this feature if the OS supports it. If you set
this item to [Disabled], the function ?œRepost Video on STR Resume??will be
hidden.

Suspend to RAM (STR) is S3 Sleep, exactly what you are having trouble with. Suspend to RAM must be set to Auto if you want to use Windows Sleep. Note the Repost Video on STR Resume option will not be shown if Suspend to RAM is disabled.

We have no idea what Suspend to RAM is set to now, so this may be the reason why you don't have the Repost Video on STR Resume option shown.

The Windows Event log is certainly not only about software related events. You'll find the majority of its entries are related to hardware.

What to look for in the Event Log? To make that easier, enter Sleep mode in Windows, and then try to wake from Sleep. If it fails, restart the PC and open the Event Log. Among the most recent entries, there should be one or more about the failure to wake from Sleep. You could then use the error code or number of that entry to find the others, which might provide some other clues about the problem.

Event Log entries are date and time stamped. That means you can find the entries that were written close to the time of a failed wake from Sleep event. Once you find one log entry related to the wake from Sleep failure, others won't be hard to find.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2016 at 7:41am
Moved from Media Reviews > Intel Motherboards _to_ Tech Support > Intel Motherboards
Dynamizer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dynamizer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2017 at 3:38pm
Hello. Sorry for being late at answering, in the meantime I was busy, but still had some spare time to do some troubleshooting.

Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Your PSU is old.

It could be true, but I was answering about it being "a bit small".

I can only go by your board's manual, since I don't have your board. If the BIOS options were changed, and the manual was not updated to reflect those changes, I'm stuck.

The settings got changed in the names inside the menu but I guess the features they control are the same. Now Repost Video on STR Resume is called Check Ready Bit, and it still be can set to Enabled or Disabled.
Anyway I got some screenshot that I try to attach later (from my smartphone).

But please check this in your BIOS settings, from your board's manual, in the ACPI Configuration section:

Suspend to RAM

Use this item to select whether to auto-detect or disable the Suspend-to-RAM
feature. Select [Auto] will enable this feature if the OS supports it. If you set
this item to [Disabled], the function ?�Repost Video on STR Resume??will be
hidden.

Suspend to RAM (STR) is S3 Sleep, exactly what you are having trouble with. Suspend to RAM must be set to Auto if you want to use Windows Sleep. Note the Repost Video on STR Resume option will not be shown if Suspend to RAM is disabled.

We have no idea what Suspend to RAM is set to now, so this may be the reason why you don't have the Repost Video on STR Resume option shown.

Yes, actually Suspend to RAM is set to Auto.
If I set it to Disabled, Check Ready Bit is not shown.

The Windows Event log is certainly not only about software related events. You'll find the majority of its entries are related to hardware.

What to look for in the Event Log? To make that easier, enter Sleep mode in Windows, and then try to wake from Sleep. If it fails, restart the PC and open the Event Log. Among the most recent entries, there should be one or more about the failure to wake from Sleep. You could then use the error code or number of that entry to find the others, which might provide some other clues about the problem.

Event Log entries are date and time stamped. That means you can find the entries that were written close to the time of a failed wake from Sleep event. Once you find one log entry related to the wake from Sleep failure, others won't be hard to find.

Actually I tried to check something in the Event Log, but I couldn't find anything. Besides, the computer never fails to wake up.

Anyway I guess the problem is not about the motherboard.
As I stated above, I did some troubleshooting.
I tried to switch my Geforce GTX 560 with a Radeon HD4650. They both are PCIe 2.0 GPUs but the first one have some kind of energy saving features, while the second not.
When in idle, the Geforce would low its internal frequencies and sets itself to PCIe 1.1, and boost up to full frequencies and PCIe 2.0 when power is needed, while the Radeon not, it remains full speed and PCIe 2.0.
I did try to put in sleep (STR) the computer and then wake it up with the Radeon and it remains at PCIe 2.0, so I guess that all this fuss is due to the Geforce not behaving well to STR resume.
Now I'm going to the producers (MSI) support site and/or forum and try to ask some help, like a new firmware to flash that solves the bug.
Thank you anyway for the time you spent for me!

Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Moved from Media Reviews > Intel Motherboards _to_ Tech Support > Intel Motherboards

Sorry! I was sure to have already posted under tech support.
Dynamizer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dynamizer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2017 at 7:22pm
Last check on troubleshooting: I tried to install my gtx 560 GPU on an Asrock B75 Pro3 and there it works flawlessly after the wake up, going to PCIe 2.0.
I'm now officially confused...
It seems that the Old X58 Supercomputer won't send the correct wake up signal to the GPU? Can't know it yet...
I need another PCIe 2.0 gpu with energy saving features like mine and do some other trials, but I don't have any more :(

Edited by Dynamizer - 11 Jan 2017 at 11:48am
Dynamizer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dynamizer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 5:20am
Hi.
I've managed to get a different PCIe 2.0 video card, it's a Geforce GT630, that have the same power saving features as my GTX 560.
I tried it on the X58 Supercomputer and it does the same behaviour: after s3 sleep wake up, it doesn't go to PCIe 2.0 anymore and get stuck at 1.1.
So it's a motherboard (or chipset) fault.
Any ideas?
Is there any other X58 chipset user that can check this behaviour please?
Thanks.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic