ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 970 Extreme3 R2.0 - Random hard freezes at IDLE
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

970 Extreme3 R2.0 - Random hard freezes at IDLE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MSwol1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2016 at 10:56pm
Originally posted by golden333 golden333 wrote:

Mate, C6 state is nothing more then a power saving feature! It is required to run turbo core efficiently. I highly doubt c6 could be your problem so just disable it !Not a lot of experience with FX series and i don;t want to say anything stupid on the matter,but from what i read on other user's post's they are stable up 1.5 v, the fx 9590 goes up 1.55.Did you try to set llc to 100% and give it a stable voltage.Try disabling c6,setting llc 100 and voltage to 1.3,though it seems a little high considering the fact you didn't oc'ed.Also keep in mind,keeping the processor under high voltage reduces it's life expectancy!

My understanding and observation of C6 is that it results in wild fluctuations of clock speeds.

With C6 disabled, the interference in my speakers/headphones (I have a stand-alone sound card) increased drastically... unless the CPU ran in Prime95.. the interference completely disappeared, which baffled me.  This, combined with the fact that my CPU ran at max clock at all times, discouraged me.

Unfortunately, I've since enabled C6 back with the CPU still running at 1.25V.  The interference has gone down to its usual levels.

So, we'll see how this goes.

Edited by MSwol1 - 22 Dec 2016 at 10:56pm
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2016 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by MSwol1 MSwol1 wrote:

My understanding and observation of C6 is that it results in wild fluctuations of clock speeds.

With C6 disabled, the interference in my speakers/headphones (I have a stand-alone sound card) increased drastically... unless the CPU ran in Prime95.. the interference completely disappeared, which baffled me.  This, combined with the fact that my CPU ran at max clock at all times, discouraged me.

Unfortunately, I've since enabled C6 back with the CPU still running at 1.25V.  The interference has gone down to its usual levels.

Given your symptoms, crashes at idle, do you have Cool n Quiet enabled? It is by default. Your board's manual has this warning about this option:

Please note that enabling this function may reduce CPU voltage and memory frequency, and lead to system stability or compatibility issue with some memory modules or power supplies. Please set this item to [Disable] if above issue occurs.

Your Windows Power Plan, Processor power management, Minimum processor state option setting will also reduce your CPU speed, independent of your C State settings.

MSwol1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MSwol1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2016 at 12:12am
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Given your symptoms, crashes at idle, do you have Cool n Quiet enabled? It is by default. Your board's manual has this warning about this option:

Please note that enabling this function may reduce CPU voltage and memory frequency, and lead to system stability or compatibility issue with some memory modules or power supplies. Please set this item to [Disable] if above issue occurs.

Your Windows Power Plan, Processor power management, Minimum processor state option setting will also reduce your CPU speed, independent of your C State settings.

Yes, Cool N' Quiet is enabled.  I've considered disabling it as well.  Perhaps I will.  In addition, I've recently disabled C1E.

I realize Windows also throttles the processor by default.  It seems quite a bit more aggressive then C6 does.  All of these power saving options seem to overlap, it is confusing managing all of them.

So right now..

3600MHZ/1.25V.. used to run at 3700MHZ+/1.4V

CoolNQuiet Enabled - Disabling made CPU run at full speed at all times, unacceptable for me.  But if it's largely idle, does this really impact power usage and heat?  Food for thought I guess...  I have always had this enabled for the record.

C6 Enabled - Disabling it caused increased interference in headphones/speakers.  Historically, I had kept this enabled as well.. so no real change.

Windows Min Processor State - 100% - When I had C6 disabled and in the past, I believe this was set to 30%. I believe Windows processor management to be the culprit in causing the increased interference... 

C1E Disabled - Just testing this really.. no difference so far between Enabled and Disabled that I can tell.  Used to have this enabled.

So essentially, I've eliminated some power saving, took a great deal of responsibility off Windows (I know about the hidden idle CPU handling) decreased clock speed, speed fluctuations and heat.

Edited by MSwol1 - 24 Dec 2016 at 12:27am
MSwol1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MSwol1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2017 at 7:20am
So far, so good.... still too early to declare absolute victory... but no hard freezes since making the above changes.

I left CoolNQuiet on, seems to save 10-15% of total power at idle.

Edited by MSwol1 - 02 Jan 2017 at 7:22am
MSwol1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MSwol1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2017 at 7:34am
Another two weeks, still no freezes.. this one may be solved.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2017 at 12:29pm

Solved by... changing the Windows Power Plan, Minimum Processor State, to 100%? C1E disabled, but C6 enabled? Also, Cool-N-Quiet enabled again?

So it's mainly the Windows Power Plan? Do you see the processor speed change at all now? How about the VCore, does it change at all in Windows? The fix hints at the VCore being to low for the processor.

Just want to confirm your final configuration.

Good point about the differences between CPU power saving features and Windows power saving features. The usual Minimum Processor state of the Balanced plan (for an Intel CPU) is 10%. It may be different for an AMD processor.
MSwol1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MSwol1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2017 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Solved by... changing the Windows Power Plan, Minimum Processor State, to 100%? C1E disabled, but C6 enabled? Also, Cool-N-Quiet enabled again?

So it's mainly the Windows Power Plan? Do you see the processor speed change at all now? How about the VCore, does it change at all in Windows? The fix hints at the VCore being to low for the processor.

Just want to confirm your final configuration.

Good point about the differences between CPU power saving features and Windows power saving features. The usual Minimum Processor state of the Balanced plan (for an Intel CPU) is 10%. It may be different for an AMD processor.

Not sure which option in particular solved it.. and I'm not about to start fiddling w/ each individual one to find out.

Processor speed still changes, but the changes do not seem as variable as before.

I see VCore jumps as well, but not sure if they are different than before.
MSwol1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MSwol1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2017 at 12:18pm
Just got a freeze.. first time in about 6 weeks...

Same old same.. Booted computer, started a Youtube video.. was switching tabs.. and FREEZE.

Upped CPU voltage by .0125 to 1.2625... perhaps I didn't allow enough headway there. 

Same Youtube video.. BAM another freeze.

Dropping CPU down to 3.5 from 3.6, voltage down to 1.225v....  Was solid after this.

Maybe this is finally it for this crap mobo... was rock solid for many weeks then here we are again.

Edited by MSwol1 - 01 Feb 2017 at 1:18am
MSwol1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MSwol1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 11:38am
So we seem stable again.. time will tell.

During the latest two freezes, it was very cold in the room.. and the PC was just powered up..  This sure feels like a failing component.

Will just keep undervolting and underclocking till something goes kaput.  Think it is back to Intel.
MSwol1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MSwol1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2017 at 11:22am
3 more weeks.. still stable
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic