ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Unable to get fatal1ty x99 to post

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
ahevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unable to get fatal1ty x99 to post
    Posted: 02 Jan 2017 at 7:55am
So, latest update...

The new ram arrived and the board would only post with 1 stick in D1.

Once posted, went into uefi but the bios would not update via internet flash as it kept timing out, so had to use a usb stick... sigh 1

Once the bios was updated, all sticks worked... yay!

However... Windows install kept crashing... sigh 2

Upon looking closer, one of the sticks in C1 kept disappearing!!!

So, swapped the stick with another and it went walk about again... sigh 3

Looks like a dodgy stick so had to pull it. Windows installed fine in the end.

Seriously fell out with Amazon! The ram shipped from Germany to the UK and turned up a day late even though it was ordered on Prime. They showed no sympathy or effort to make me happy given the late delivery and dodgy ram. Now have to wait until the end of next week for another set!!!

Nightmare!!!
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2016 at 10:38am
Originally posted by ahevans ahevans wrote:

thanks for the tips

i have a samsung ssd and m.2 ultra drive ready for when i can finally get this board to boot!

hehehe I hear ya.

Keep us posted. Merry Christmas.
ahevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2016 at 7:17am
thanks for the tips

i have a samsung ssd and m.2 ultra drive ready for when i can finally get this board to boot!
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2016 at 12:18pm

silly question for 3d rendering...

got my eye on https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00N1OZ01G/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1482626947&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=%5BRipjaws+4%5D+F4-2133C15Q-32GRB

If you think a 32GB constraint on loading files will be sufficient. If not go for a 64GB kit. Your issue at a latter date should you decide 64GB is what you need at that time is it won't be a matter of buying another 32GB kit, but instead buying a 64GB kit and selling off the original 32GB kit. ie: adding memory at a later date will be a no no. So choose wisely now and take a pass on headaches down the road.

And a fast SSD/Ultra M.2/RAID subsystem will be a huge benefit at loading times.
ahevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2016 at 8:51am
silly question for 3d rendering...

got my eye on https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00N1OZ01G/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1482626947&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=%5BRipjaws+4%5D+F4-2133C15Q-32GRB
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2016 at 5:43am

Does it really make any difference if its 2 or 4 sticks?

No, not at 4 sticks anyways. 6 and 8 can be touch and go concerning making them work. With 8 sticks it's reccomended to set 2 sticks that will run, then shut down and populate the remaining six.

The less sticks equals the less loading on the IMC. Well, to a lessor extent tight timings too.
ahevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2016 at 2:23am
Does it really make any difference if its 2 or 4 sticks?
ahevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2016 at 2:14am
Cheers, was just about to say I throw in the rag with the ram. This has been the most frustrating build I have done in nearly 20 years!

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2016 at 1:03am

Ok... so 1 stick in D1 of some cheap 4gb ddr4 see's the board cycle between 19, 60 and then 67

X99's are notoriously finicky concerning memory.

Time to look on/at the mem manf's websites Memory Finder tools for some guaranteed compatible memory for it first before declaring something else at fault here.

I'll lead ya off with what G.Skill certifies themselves as compatible:
http://www.gskill.com/en/configurator?manu=52&chip=2276&model=2326

ahevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2016 at 11:39pm
Ok... so 1 stick in D1 of some cheap 4gb ddr4 see's the board cycle between 19, 60 and then 67
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic