ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Memory Upgrade/Replacement on G41M-VS3 Model

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaleSwiftpaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Memory Upgrade/Replacement on G41M-VS3 Model
    Posted: 15 Jul 2015 at 8:37am
I own an ASRock G41M-VS3 motherboard and was operating normally with two 4GB DDR3 1333 sticks (8GB total) until one of them failed (random BSoDs, crashes, etc). Then I bought a replacement and when I installed it on my PC, it would not boot. Only a blank screen, no beep sounds, nothing. Then I noticed that this new RAM had 8 chips on only one side while the previous RAM had 16 chips, 8 on each side. Does this have anything to do with the fact that my PC won't boot with this new RAM?
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2015 at 10:17am
No, not necessarily. The memory QVL list for your board includes both Single Sided (SS) and Dual Sided (DS) DIMMs that are compatible with your board/memory controller on the G41 chipset:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/memory/G41M-VS3.pdf

Your new memory is classified as Single Sided, having memory chips on only one side of the memory circuit board. Dual Sided means memory chips on both sides of the board.

I'm not sure what you did when you bought the replacement memory. Do you have only one new DIMM/stick? Or did you get two new DIMMs? What is the exact model number of the new memory, and what is the capacity?

Did you clear the CMOS/BIOS after installing the new memory? You really must do that for it to be recognized and have its timings, voltage, and other parameters set correctly. That won't guarantee that the memory will then work, but still must be done.
JaleSwiftpaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaleSwiftpaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2015 at 6:25pm
Reading the memory QVL list only shows 4GB RAMs to be double sided and from two brands: Kingston and Samsung. Mine is Kingston.

Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

I'm not sure what you did when you bought the replacement memory. Do you have only one new DIMM/stick? Or did you get two new DIMMs? What is the exact model number of the new memory, and what is the capacity?

I previously had two 4GB double sided Kingstom RAMs totallying 8GB, which is the maximum this board supports. One of them went faulty and I replaced it with a new, also Kingston 4GB stick, but I didn't notice it was single sided and according to the list mentioned before, there's no 4GB single sided RAM listed, only double sided. The exact model number is KVR13N9S8/4 and it's 4GB.

Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Did you clear the CMOS/BIOS after installing the new memory? You really must do that for it to be recognized and have its timings, voltage, and other parameters set correctly. That won't guarantee that the memory will then work, but still must be done.

I've already done that. I have even tested the new RAM individually on each slot, but no luck. In one of the tries it booted with both RAMs mounted, but wouldn't recognize the memory installed, showing 4GB instead of 8GB.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2015 at 7:03pm
I am sorry to say but it sounds like the new RAM module is not compatible with your board. It may be worth updating your bios and seeing if that adds support for your new module. Looking at your bios download page there are quite a few updates listed. Download and flash to the latest one.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaleSwiftpaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2015 at 8:36pm
I have updated the BIOS this morning. Still won't boot.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2015 at 9:03pm
Given the system works with the remaining original ram module it is likely that the new one is either faulty (it happens from time to time) or simply incompatible.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaleSwiftpaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2015 at 9:33pm
I guess I'll have to try with a double sided RAM.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaleSwiftpaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2015 at 9:47pm
A post in Tom's Hardware reads of a user having exactly the same problem I'm having, even exactly  the same memory model.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2402441/asrock-g41m-vs3-accepts-kingston-kvr1333d3n9-kvr13n9s8.html

Any thoughts about this?

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2015 at 9:59pm
For one reason or another the board does not support that model. Sadly not all DDR3 is compatible with all systems. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaleSwiftpaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2015 at 10:02pm
I'm now aware that the G41 chipset has limited DDR3 support. I'll see if I can find another model to test it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic