ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

(Solved)J4205-ITX HDMI output

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
xv1nx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xv1nx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: (Solved)J4205-ITX HDMI output
    Posted: 09 Jan 2020 at 6:37am
Hi guys,

do you have HDMI-CEC problem? I don't have the black screen problem with the default installied firmware, but it doesn't have HDMI-CEC.
Before I upgrade the firmware to the latest one, I want to verify that CEC will work with latest firmware.
My OS is Ubuntu 18.04 Server, if it is relevant.
Hsbdbdhr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hsbdbdhr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2020 at 3:53pm
hello everybody!
I have a motherboard j3455b-itx.
I have the same problem with HDMI display (igfx stopped, black display).

...and set the CSM option in BIOS to "disabled" was solve my problem!
thanx all you for this solution!
chrisk2305 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisk2305 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2018 at 12:50am
I just wanted to inform you guys that the latest Bios Updates (1.7 and 1.8) completely resolved the HDMI Issues for me!
Event4101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Event4101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 5:52am
I installed BIOS version 1.8 without any problems. From an informative post by member "nickq", found in the thread titled "BIOS issues on J4205-ITX", I didn't need to install the 1.7 bridge BIOS since I was already using BIOS 1.6.

In my post to the thread titled "Any new J4205-ITX BIOS?" I mentioned my experience with the two BIOS updates 1.5 and 1.6. After installing those two updates I noticed that my particular HDMI problem, documented on this thread, had been resolved. I also noticed the vulnerability with the Intel Management Engine had been patched. I assume BIOS updates are cumulative so I would think installing 1.7 and 1.8 would provide fixes included with those previous versions.

I don't know what issues BIOS version 1.8 has solved. I haven't noticed any difference after the update. As you mentioned, unfortunately there are no release notes included with the updates. After reading the nickq post there does appear to be some hint from ASRock Support that the 1.8 update could have some type of impact on memory compatibility, but I found the information a bit confusing.

After installing 1.8 I noticed that, upon restart, it did take an uncharacteristically long time for the POST screen to appear. Perhaps this was caused by the BIOS attempting to detect the memory. Entering BIOS setup showed the memory was properly detected, and subsequent restarts occurred quickly, so everything is back to normal.

BIOS issues on J4205-ITX
http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=10129&title=bios-issues-on-j4205itx

Any new J4205-ITX BIOS?
http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=10044&title=any-new-j4205itx-bios
Zzenz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zzenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 5:25pm
Seems like a new BIOS 1.70 - 1.80 have been released etc.

But why oh why is there no describtion on what they contain? What are the fixes and/or new fetures does this BIOS contain?

Does this fix the HDMI issue?
Event4101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Event4101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 12:54am
Provided with the J4205-ITX bios CSM configuration observation made by member Gussie, I was finally able to find a method that would always produce the blank LCD display with a flashing mouse pointer problem that I was experiencing with Windows 10 Pro and the J4205-ITX HDMI port.  The problem appears to be related to when the LCD display is powered-on during the bios start-up (hardware detection?) process.

I can't say that other owners of the J4205-ITX board can reproduce the problem in this manner, but I posted three procedures below that I used to detect when the CSM configuration is somehow being changed from "Disabled" to "Enabled".  When this change occurs, that is when I encounter the blank LCD display.

Procedure Notes:
1) I use the notation "CSM" as an abbreviation for the "CSM(Compatibility Support Module)" bios configuration found at the bottom of the J4205-ITX bios setup "Boot" page.

2) I use the notation "Windows 10 Start screen" as the screen displayed by Windows 10 at start-up, that shows the current date and time.  Pressing the "Enter" key, or left-clicking the mouse, will present the user log-in screen.

3) Windows 10 "System Information" (MSINFO32.EXE) reports System Summary -> BIOS Mode value as UEFI.

4) The following procedures were performed using bios version 1.40, the current version posted by ASRock for the J4205-ITX.  It is possible that the bios versions 1.5 and 1.6, that were posted and quickly removed by ASRock, may not be susceptible to this problem.

5) With my J4205-ITX and HDMI LCD display the following three procedures can be repeated with the same outcomes.

***** Procedure A : Blank screen with flashing mouse pointer *****
1) Power-on LCD display (connected to J4205 HDMI port)
2) Power-on computer
3) Enter bios setup (F2 key)
4) Set CSM to "Disabled"
5) Save bios changes and exit
6) Power-off LCD display
7) Wait for Windows to load (approximately one minute)
8) Power-on LCD display
9) Windows 10 Start screen is shown
10) Perform Windows Restart
11) Wait for Windows to load (approximately one minute)
12) No Windows 10 Start screen is shown. The LCD display is blank with a flashing mouse pointer.

Note:
Accessing the computer using the Windows Remote Desktop client, from a remote computer, does show the Windows 10 user log-in screen.  Upon log-off from the Remote Desktop session, the LCD display, connected to the J4205 HDMI port, will then show the Windows Start screen.  Performing a Windows Restart, and entering bios setup, reveals that CSM has changed to "Enabled".

***** Procedure B : Bios CSM configuration changes from Disabled to Enabled *****
2) Power-on computer
4) Set CSM to "Disabled"
6) Power-off LCD display
7) Wait for Windows to load (approximately one minute)
8) Power-on LCD display
9) Windows 10 Start screen is shown
10) Perform Windows Restart
11) Enter bios setup (F2 key)
12) CSM has changed to "Enabled"

***** Procedure C : Bios CSM configuration remains set to Disabled *****
2) Power-on computer
4) Set CSM to "Disabled"
6) Wait for Windows to load (approximately one minute)
7) Windows 10 Start screen is shown
8) Perform Windows Restart
9) Enter bios setup (F2 key)
10) CSM remains set to "Disabled"

Event4101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Event4101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 1:04pm
Oh my Gussie, I believe you are onto something with that CSM setting somehow getting enabled after being specifically set to disabled.

I remember many many months ago, when I was configuring some bios settings, I too could have sworn that I had disabled CSM, but I would later discover that it was enabled.  I typically don't have a need to venture into the bios that often and, with so many settings, I certainly don't review them all when I do.

I'm glad you mentioned your observation concerning the quirkiness of the CSM setting.  At least now I know that it wasn't some form of absentmindedness on my part.

I just returned to my bios settings and found the CSM setting was enabled (again).  This "CSM (Compatibility Support Module)" setting is sort-of hidden because it is located at the very bottom of the bios "Boot" page and it may be necessary to drag the scroll bar (if present) down to find it.  But even then the current state of this setting is not shown on the Boot page.  The setting must be selected which then shows a second page with the current CSM state.

I switched CSM back to "Disabled" and saved the bios configuration and allowed the computer to restart.  I then shutdown the computer and powered-off the LCD display and then powered-on the computer.  After a minute or so I then powered-on the LCD display and found the Windows 10 Start screen was displayed!  That just never happens!  I'm usually left staring at a blank screen with a flashing mouse pointer.

I then shutdown the computer and powered-off the LCD display.  I moved the HDMI cable to the J4205-ITX HDMI port (instead of the DVI port with the HDMI adapter I have been using).  I powered-on the computer and waited a minute or so before powering-on the LCD display.  Once again I found the Windows Start screen was displayed.  I had given-up on ever using the HDMI port since it was causing me so much grief with the blank screen and flashing mouse pointer.

As I was performing some other trials I did encounter the blank screen with the flashing mouse pointer while the HDMI cable was connected to the J4205 HDMI port.  I went back into the bios and found that the CSM setting had somehow been set to "Enabled" even though I had never returned to the bios during my trials.  Once I set CSM back to "Disabled" the LCD display once again acted normal.

I noticed that when CSM is set to "Enabled" there are other options that appear, one of which is titled "Launch Video OpRom Policy".  By default this setting is set to "Legacy only".  I wonder if this is causing all the problems with the HDMI interface when CSM is enabled.

So far I can't figure out exactly when the CSM setting is being switched from Disabled to Enabled.  If there is a way to reliably repeat this incident then maybe ASRock can publish a bios fix, hopefully sometime in my remaining lifetime.  It is getting late here (1am) so hopefully I can follow-up with some additional testing to see if I can pin-point when CSM is being corrupted.

What a discovery Gussie!  If this HDMI problem can be resolved with a simple bios fix then you definitely deserve the $5,000 bug bounty I'm sure ASRock would be happy to award. :)

Edited by Event4101 - 06 Jul 2018 at 1:10pm
Gussie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gussie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 5:07am
Switched my J4205 on today and noticed it was updating ...

Security update for Adobe Flash Player: June 7, 2018 KB4287903
Cumulative Update - June 12 KB4284819
Win 10 Update KB4056254

Rebooted and BAM my black screen was BACK !!!!

Checked my BIOS AND CSM WAS ENABLED AGAIN !!!!

Disabled it and everything is working again.

Seems that something is sometimes enabling CSM AND THAT IS CAUSING MY BLACK SCREEN WHEN USING HDMI (ALTHOUGH THE DVI INTERFACE STILL WORKS).

If you have a black screen with a flashing cursor when using HDMI - check your CSM setting in the BIOS it should be disabled.

chrisk2305 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisk2305 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2018 at 12:03am
Thank you guys for posting your experiences. Unfortunately this doesn't work for me so I still hope that ASRock releases a proper Bios / LSPCon Firmware  or driver that solves this issue. This is massively frustrating for me. 
Gussie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gussie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2018 at 8:16pm
Pretty good summary of the issue. I'm still OK - touch wood!

Will wait another a few days before I reply to ASRock Tech Support - I just wish I knew exactly what I did to make it work.

In any case I've used Macrium Reflect to save an image of my disk and taken pics of my BIOS screens.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
  Share Topic