ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

970m Pro 3 New Build, Won't Post? Any Ideas?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2017 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by TimButterworth TimButterworth wrote:

Hi,

Just built a very similar PC myself, and was a little held up by forgetting to plug in the CPU 8-pin power connector .

However, a couple of things I suggest.

1) The CPU fan has four wires and connects to the header above and to the left of the CPU socket. The system will not post without this connection.

2) Bad RAM can cause this. Remove all the RAM and try again. You should here some beeps to signify the absence of RAM. If you hear beeps, power off and try one module and, if no POST, then try the other. It's unlikely both modules are goosed and it's unlikely the RAM is completely incompatible (DDR3 is very forgiving in my experience).

3) Case fans do not need to be connected to the mobo for the system to POST. Mine are powered from a sata power connector and controlled by a three speed switch on the case, so my system thinks I don't have any case fans!

4) After some misadventures with over-tight sata power cables and then RAM overclocking, I found that to properly reset the mobo (and allow it to POST) you need to:
I) Remove the kettle lead.
II) Unplug the drive sata cables.
III) Press the ON button to discharge any remaining charge in the system.
IV) Plug everything back in and try switching on.
V) If it still doesn't POST, hold down the power button to force the mobo off, then try starting up again. The max number of times I needed to do that was about 4!

Hope that helps!

"Remove the kettle lead"? No idea what that is. The AC power cord?

The rest of what you did, and more, could have been accomplished by removing AC power from the PC, moving the Clear CMOS jumper on your board from the normal to the Clear position, waiting 30 seconds, and then moving the jumper back to the normal position.

Originally posted by 3BoysMom 3BoysMom wrote:

Anyway, here's what I have in the cursed thing:  970M Pro3 with AMD FX-6300  (says supported)   and Ballistix Sport XT 4GBx2 DDR3 1600 CL9 @ 1.5V  (said compatible). Using GeForce GT 610 2G (working in other PC), and Antec VP-450 PS. Just have a regular seagate 1TB HD, but that doesn't matter since I can't boot to format it, right? Have it unplugged for now, didn't work either way.

Sorry, but I was reacting to the "cursed thing" comment, it didn't sound like a compliment. Wink

OMGosh sarcasm, I'm the king of sarcasm, yet cannot recognize it myself. So much for that... Confused

My only point was being angry at whatever is causing you grief, tends to cause our focus to not be on solving the problem, but on simply being angry.

I'm sensitive to that, since I read comments like, "... throwing the board out the window..." all the time. Or someone has returned the same model board two or three times, and still has the same problem, but is still not sure the real problem is something else.

I'm confused now, is the memory not compatible? DDR3 memory should be virtually generic by now, at least the more basic models such as what you have (had?)

wardog, Why oh Why did Samsung stop selling their DDR3 "Green", "Miracle Memory"? Never saw it not work with a board, not once! Sorry to tease you with that, it's a long gone model of memory that could do just about anything, and was cheap.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2017 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

I'm confused now, is the memory not compatible? DDR3 memory should be virtually generic by now, at least the more basic models such as what you have (had?)

She didn't quite say in her last post of phoning Crucial, but she did offer up PNs enabling me to go look at Crucials site.

That Ballistic Sport line of Crucial, all of it, is IMHO problematic. YMMV, but mine was mostly a no show.

wardog, Why oh Why did Samsung stop selling their DDR3 "Green", "Miracle Memory"? Never saw it not work with a board, not once! Sorry to tease you with that, it's a long gone model of memory that could do just about anything, and was cheap.

I'm not selling the two kits I still have. I used to use it a lot in troubleshooting clients machines. I left my client base up in MI when we moved down here to retire in AZ.

Plug and Play !

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2017 at 8:06am

"Remove the kettle lead"? No idea what that is. The AC power cord?

Exactamundo. Power cord to wall.
3BoysMom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3BoysMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2017 at 6:56am
So if I decide to go with different memory, what should I get? My budget ATM is a little more forgiving than it was before the holidays.

4x2? 8x2? 4x4? IS that memory or am I building a deck? Doesn't have to be Crucial, willing to buy other (Corsair, Kingston?) I just don't know what to get. Quite a bit on the Crucial site shows out of stock, but they did have these:

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/970-pro3/CT7368536
http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/970-pro3/CT3512191
http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/970-pro3/CT7372543
http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/970-pro3/CT3589509

Oh and this PC is for my 16 yr old, he plays Skyrim, WoW, among others, and Minecraft which I don't get the block ppl but w/e.  I mainly wanted something that that would get him through high school and work for his games without needing upgrading right away. I did skimp on the graphics card no doubt but with a purpose, needing something cheap enough to fit in my budget and simple enough to recycle back into another PC here after I get him a better one. My budget for that still has to be $150-200 though. Then mom (as in me) will use the cheaper one for my PC, so my games will look better!  Wink  Not that integrated intel graphics on a 4 yr old PC need any help...Oh and he asked me last night if  I was ever going to do anything with it or it was just going to sit on the dining room table forever.

Edited by 3BoysMom - 13 Jan 2017 at 7:20am
Put down the chocolate and step away--nobody has to get hurt.

Bug me before coffee at your risk.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2017 at 7:21am
Honestly? I would go with 2x4gb, no need for more than 8gb of RAM with that setup, that GT 610 won't allow settings high enough to take advantage of 4gb of RAM let alone 8 or 16 Wink 8gb (2x4) is a good number as it will allow for you to add more later (slots not all occupied) and should be more than enough RAM even if you upgrade the GPU.

Honestly, I would return the GT 610, go for a single 4gb stick of RAM and pick up something like an R7 250 with the return money + RAM cost difference. You can always throw in another 4gb stick later, just be sure to note the model number so you can get the same model. This setup would offer more than triple the gaming performance of the GT 610 + even 16gb of RAM. Obviously if you can get 8gb (2x4gb) AND an R7 250 then you are golden.

It has been said many times on many different review and tech sites, below a certain performance level, budget GPUs are not worth it. The GT 610 is a perfect example of this, offering just a fifth of the performance of the R7 250 for more than half the price. The GT 610 is handily beaten by the iGPU in even a Haswell Pentium Shocked

If you can't return it then, well, you know for next time Wink At least it supports DX12, though that means little at that performance level.

Edited by Xaltar - 13 Jan 2017 at 7:23am
3BoysMom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3BoysMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2017 at 8:29am
For graphics I was looking to get something from this "R7 250 2G"

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F3QEZ1U/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=204PVGX9XXITH&coliid=IJESTWZKAMR70

to this "GTX 1050"
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M6Y671T/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=204PVGX9XXITH&coliid=I1BRBH1Q77NWI1&psc=1

At least those were a couple I had on my list--I did try reading reviews, but after going through many of them I wasn't sure I saw a lot of difference in $100 range. This swap won't be 2 years down the road but more like 2 months.  The pathetic one I have now will replace the Intel Express Chipset, with the idea being that while the card could be used in another PC, the memory cannot. I'm really not happy with my PC and was already looking to "help" it out. I can go from 6G to 8, up the power supply, add a graphics card. That's all I can do with this thing I'm using.  $44 didn't seem like too much to help out my old one. For my son's PC I wanted to start with the memory I need and beyond so my son won't need to upgrade it. The 8 with 2x4 is what I have now, but don't know if it works or not--seems there is some debate, which is THE ENTIRE REASON I'm checking to see what would be a good brand. My PC is at least 4 yrs old and has 6G so I felt like I should at least have 8 in his, so I'm OK with the 8, as long as it is good enough for the new card I get after tax refund.  Well that's all the time I have for mom-building-pc-class right now as I have to go pick up the college student with no driving license, then bake some cookies.

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2017 at 11:49am
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007611%2050008476%20601190327%20600006072%20600532699%20600052012&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&SrchInDesc=sniper&Page=1&PageSize=36&order=PRICE

Check the two kits P/N's above on Amazon for availability.

I'll add that if either G.Skill Sniper kit doesn't work I'll buy them back from you !

TTYL

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2017 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by 3BoysMom 3BoysMom wrote:

$44 didn't seem like too much to help out my old one. For my son's PC I wanted to start with the memory I need and beyond so my son won't need to upgrade it. The 8 with 2x4 is what I have now, but don't know if it works or not--seems there is some debate, which is THE ENTIRE REASON I'm checking to see what would be a good brand. My PC is at least 4 yrs old and has 6G so I felt like I should at least have 8 in his, so I'm OK with the 8, as long as it is good enough for the new card I get after tax refund.  Well that's all the time I have for mom-building-pc-class right now as I have to go pick up the college student with no driving license, then bake some cookies.

When it comes to the RAM, most people are more than satisfied with 8gb today but, you are building with DDR3 and DDR4 is now becoming the standard which means that DDR3 will become more difficult to find in a year or 2. Even then, I still use 8gb in most of my systems and I do a lot more than game. 

As for the GPUs, I was only pointing out that anything below a certain performance becomes a poor value option. The R7 250 in my opinion is what you should be getting as a temporary solution and it would do wonders for your PC when you upgrade your son's PC to something like that GTX 1050 or even better, an RX 470. This is only if you are still within the return window for the GT 610, if not then the GT 610 should still be a decent upgrade from your integrated graphics. 
3BoysMom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3BoysMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2017 at 1:44am
I will take all things into consideration...I have about a week left on most of these items in general, so I have a few days left to decide. Of course anything I don't return by then I'm stuck with, one way or another, working or not. So I have til about Tuesday to figure this out or send it all back--or be stuck with a non-working system.  Time considered, perhaps starting over would be simpler, but again if the new setup doesn't work, nothing would be solved.

No jokes today been a very tough week. I really do appreciate all the help I'm getting, it helps a lot to have people with real working knowledge. I can "build" anything but the electronics/software issues are completely lost on me. I'm more power tools and exacto knives type. That was not a joke. 

LulaNord View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LulaNord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 1:35am
Hi...i am a new user here. As per my knowledge you won't get any beeps from the board until the POST beep speaker option is enabled in the BIOS, it is disabled by default. Yeah, I don't like that either.Is the video card in the PCIe slot closest to the CPU socket?
The wiring from the PC case to the board can be confusing for the first time builder. Be sure to use the mother board's manual as a reference for the pin locations.The PC case has separate power and HDD LEDs and wiring?

Edited by LulaNord - 30 Jun 2017 at 11:02pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic