ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Z170MPro - No Beep, No Screen, Just Fans,Reboot 3s
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z170MPro - No Beep, No Screen, Just Fans,Reboot 3s

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreatFullTekeek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z170MPro - No Beep, No Screen, Just Fans,Reboot 3s
    Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 10:42pm
COMPONENTS
MOBO: NEW Asrock Z170M Pro 4S
CPU: NEW Intel   I5 6400 + Boxed PWM Fan (but i also have a BeQuiet PWM)
RAM: NEW Viper4 XMP2.0 D4 16GB 3000-16 (2x8GB plugged into A2 B2, or single in A1)
SSD: OLD Crucial CT250BX100SSD1
GPU: OLD Asus    GTX750TI-OC-2GD5
PS:   OLD Be Quiet 600W
A connected PC-Speaker (2 different types)

Problem:
When powering up:
1.PS Fan starting
2.CPU (PWM) drive high for 3 seconds, then reboot..
3.CPU (PWM) drive high for 3 seconds, then reboot..
The connected PC speaker dont beep @all (tryd different speaker types!)

Case 1:
GPU Onboard (PCIe card removed): There is no Signal on HDMI or DVI - never
(reboot after 3 seconds)
*It dont matter if i Plug in one two or none RAM or SSD anywhere - all variants tryed - change nothing on the problem.

Case 2:
a. GPU PCIe: There is no Signal on HDMI, DVI or VGA - never
but the MOBO dont reboot, the CPU and PS Fans are running.
*It dont matter if i Plug in one two or none RAM or SSD anywhere - all variants tryed - change nothing on the problem.

I also have removed the CPU and checked the contacts of the socket, they seems to be ok.
Since this is a new platform for me, i dont have spare parts to check alternative parts (like ram..) ... my last cpu/platform change was with the Intel Q9450

-mike
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 11:40pm
That RAM is 1.35v isn't it? It sounds like the RAM is incompatible which causes training then cycling, power then cycle off then on. 

Have you tried clearing CMOS after installing 1 stick of RAM?

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 11:57pm
Originally posted by GreatFullTekeek GreatFullTekeek wrote:

COMPONENTS
MOBO: NEW Asrock Z170M Pro 4S
CPU: NEW Intel   I5 6400 + Boxed PWM Fan (but i also have a BeQuiet PWM)
RAM: NEW Viper4 XMP2.0 D4 16GB 3000-16 (2x8GB plugged into A2 B2, or single in A1)
SSD: OLD Crucial CT250BX100SSD1
GPU: OLD Asus    GTX750TI-OC-2GD5
PS:   OLD Be Quiet 600W
A connected PC-Speaker (2 different types)

Problem:
When powering up:
1.PS Fan starting
2.CPU (PWM) drive high for 3 seconds, then reboot..
3.CPU (PWM) drive high for 3 seconds, then reboot..

The connected PC speaker dont beep @all (tryd different speaker types!)

Case 1:
GPU Onboard (PCIe card removed): There is no Signal on HDMI or DVI - never
(reboot after 3 seconds)

Case 2:
a. GPU PCIe: There is no Signal on HDMI, DVI or VGA - never
but the MOBO dont reboot, the CPU and PS Fans are running.

I also have removed the CPU and checked the contacts of the socket, they seems to be ok.
Since this is a new platform for me, i dont have spare parts to check alternative parts (like ram..) ... my last cpu/platform change was with the Intel Q9450

-mike

Unfortunately, the POST beep speaker option in the UEFI/BIOS is set to Disabled by default. You won't get any POST beeps until that option is enabled.

When you say the CPU cooler fan runs for a few seconds, and then the PC "reboots", you mean the PC shuts off, and then tries to start again, correct?

What is the full model number of your memory?

Since you said you haven't built a PC in a while, I'll ask this. Is the the 4/8 pin CPU power cable from the PSU connected to the board? The connector at the top, left side of the board? That cable must be connected or the CPU won't get power.

When using 8GB or larger DIMMs, use the A1 and B1 memory slots first.

To keep things simple at this point, remove the video card and just use the integrated graphics.

After removing the video card, and possibly moving your memory to the A1 and B1 slots, be sure to clear the UEFI/BIOS with the Clear CMOS jumper on the board. Do that with AC power unplugged and the PSU off. Do NOT skip this step.

No idea if the PC case being used is new or old. Any chance the mother board standoffs for your previous board are in different locations than the new boards, and one is shorting the new board?

Not having any spare parts to try will make things more difficult.
GreatFullTekeek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreatFullTekeek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2017 at 12:25am
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

[URL=][/URL]That RAM is 1.35v isn't it? It sounds like the RAM is incompatible which causes training then cycling, power then cycle off then on.?

Have you tried clearing CMOS after installing 1 stick of RAM?

hi
1,35V thats right.
yes cleared CMOS by installed 1 Stick also.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreatFullTekeek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2017 at 12:37am
When you say the CPU cooler fan runs for a few seconds, and then the PC "reboots", you mean the PC shuts off, and then tries to start again, correct?
Correct

What is the full model number of your memory?
VIPER PV416G300C6K, PE000413, DDR4 2x8GB 3000MHz C16 1.35V
should run on 170er series Asus boards, so i thought Asrock should do it also... maybe a failure

Since you said you haven't built a PC in a while, I'll ask this. Is the the 4/8 pin CPU power cable from the PSU connected to the board? The connector at the top, left side of the board? That cable must be connected or the CPU won't get power.
Yes is connected

When using 8GB or larger DIMMs, use the A1 and B1 memory slots first.
OK, but dont change something on the problem

To keep things simple at this point, remove the video card and just use the integrated graphics.
OK

After removing the video card, and possibly moving your memory to the A1 and B1 slots, be sure to clear the UEFI/BIOS with the Clear CMOS jumper on the board. Do that with AC power unplugged and the PSU off. Do NOT skip this step.
DONE

No idea if the PC case being used is new or old. Any chance the mother board standoffs for your previous board are in different locations than the new boards, and one is shorting the new board?
No they are the same stands, and yes the case is used, also the PSU-which is in function since it runs with my Q9450 and board...

Not having any spare parts to try will make things more difficult.
Difficult is that the peep code is disabled by default , bying hardware only to see what is wrong, is a strange idea, so i have to go to a local dealer, that has such "spare parts"...will cost me money, without a beep
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2017 at 12:44am
That is the Patriot DDR4 3000 kit I looked at and it is not on the supported list for your board. It may require a BIOS update to be supported but even that is not guaranteed. In all honesty, I would send the RAM back and get something that is supported by your board. 1.35v for DDR4 3000 is not good, DDR4 3000 is possible at 1.2v with newer RAM kits now. 

This is why it is important to check compatibility with RAM these days, not all RAM is equal and many kits only work with certain board types (X99 or Z170/Z270). Always be sure to check compatibility before purchasing. I know this isn't something anyone wants to hear but it is the sad reality of building PCs today.

Edited by Xaltar - 13 Jan 2017 at 12:45am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2017 at 3:12am
Not trying to throw salt in your wound but Patriot doesn't list this kit, PV416G300C6K, as compatible for the Z170M Pro4S.

https://patriotmemory.com/memory-finder/

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreatFullTekeek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2017 at 8:03am
ok then i go for other pair of rams
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2017 at 10:54am
Originally posted by GreatFullTekeek GreatFullTekeek wrote:

ok then i go for other pair of rams

Please check your board's memory support list for memory models to choose from. We use these lists ourselves, or make sure the manufacture specifies their DDR4 memory will work in your board:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z170M%20Pro4S/?cat=Memory

For a Skylake system like yours, if you want 8GB DIMMs, don't go much if at all above 3000 in speed. It is more difficult to get more than one 8GB DIMM per channel working above 3000.

I've had perfect results using G.SKILL and Crucial DDR4 memory. Most of the G.SKILL TridentZ series is compatible with your Skylake system.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreatFullTekeek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2017 at 8:50pm
ok find a fitting ram is worse...

most of them (also the supported) are 1,35V!? (on the asrock list)

problems when searching a fitting Ram on the asrocklist, which are:
OLD Products (new untested ProductNumber Variations),
OLDs have no Specsheets anymore on website (on dealers site some interesting specifacitons are missing)
cant be found with google - e.g.only results are Asrock links
have bad Timing (16-17),
are way Overprized (beyound 200?? (what do they think?)
or sold on the wrong place with with wrong payment methods (not local, not austria, or must have paypal(ammount) or creditcard...)

so going to each of the memory suppliers and search their lists, problems:

G.Skill has a nice Ram Configurator, wich results into 2800 is max - and this 2800 is a 2x4GB Kit... i need @ 16GB because unreal Editor load it with 14GB - so G.Skill, dead.

Corsair > only OC-Formulare on the list --- so DEAD Corsair ?

Adata > Board is listed, no 3000, 2800 only: XPG Dazzle 17 17 17, but worse timing, and LED-Light which i dont want. - So Dead Adata

Kingston > has Ram Configurator, Board is listed, 2400 is max, > Dead Kingston

Crucial > has Ram Configurator, Board is listed, 2 Results:
http://eu.crucial.com/eur/en/z170-pro4s/CT8783160
but no Product Number to find it on Amazon or anywhere else, but could be that:
amazon > 220??> way to expensive (what do they think - not with me!) > Dead Crucial

3 ours search, now i know which NOT, ill keep you informed if i found anything.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic