ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > OverClocking(OC) Zone > OC Technical Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 7700k & Z270 Extreme4 - Can't get 5Ghz Stable :/
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

7700k & Z270 Extreme4 - Can't get 5Ghz Stable :/

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
BitcoTom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BitcoTom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 7700k & Z270 Extreme4 - Can't get 5Ghz Stable :/
    Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 2:51am
Is it work with minerone mining software ?
MASTRandDSASTR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MASTRandDSASTR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2017 at 11:09am
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Originally posted by MASTRandDSASTR MASTRandDSASTR wrote:

Originally posted by Planvincent7 Planvincent7 wrote:

For i7 7700k oc voltage
5ghz 1.365 to 1.370volt
5.1ghz 1.375volt
5.2ghz 1.4??
5.3ghz max ???volt
Lol

I finally got mine to 5.3GHz (cache 500MHz behind must for stable) - 1.52V - 7 AVX offset and my ram is on XMP 3200MHz.
The secret to this is OC the block 2% (102.1) while still leaving the cores at 5.2GHz. It will give you the extra boost you need to reach max. Unfortunately the Z270 Extreme 4 has a cap for voltage so no mater how good your cooling is you will not be able to go passed 1.52V. The boost actually takes it passed the cap when it needs it so that should give you an idea how much more voltage you'll need to go beyond 5.3GHz. I myself am happy with 5.3GHz since its more than 25% increase from stock. This set up is rock solid stable. Tested with Aida64 stability stress test.

For Kaby Lake and Skylake processors, the maximum VID programmed by Intel into the processor's VID table is 1.52V. VID is the voltage (VCore) that the processor requests from the CPU VRM stage for those Intel processor generations. Which means it is the maximum VCore that can be normally applied to the processor.

That "cap" or limit is not created by your board, it is a limitation built into the processor. If 1.52V is the maximum VCore your board's UEFI allows you to enter, it is simply respecting the limit of the VID table.

A few special boards designed for extreme over clocking may have an option to go beyond the maximum VID of a processor. But those boards also must have a CPU VRM design that is capable of supplying the power (Amps/Watts) required at voltages above 1.52V for sustained periods of time without over heating or damage to the CPU VRM components. That is unrelated to the cooling of the CPU.

So you apparently said you are seeing VCore voltages above 1.52V by increasing the BCLK above 100MHz? If so, what VCore do you get? What program is showing those VCore readings?

If you are running your CPU at 1.52V or above, I highly suggest that you monitor the CPU VRM temperature, and provide extra cooling in the CPU VRM heat sink area. While the Z270 Extreme4 is a great board, it is not designed to be an extreme over clocking platform.

Thank you so much for clarifying that. I use CPUID HWmonitor mostly, but I'e seen that voltage in other apps (1.536V) on the Vcore. Honestly I have not monitored the VRM since I have not had any problems, but I will now. Thanks for the suggestion. Do you know of a good app I may use to monitor this? I didn't think the VRM was much of a big deal since has nice chokes and all. Also come highly recommended by some of the most popular YouTube tech channels like Tech Yes City. What would you consider a safe margin for this board. I've never heard of anyone blowing their VRM on this board, but it's definitely a possibility since I'm pushing the CPU to, and beyond the boundary for the VID table.
M&D
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2017 at 10:23am
Originally posted by MASTRandDSASTR MASTRandDSASTR wrote:

For i7 7700k oc voltage
5ghz 1.365 to 1.370volt
5.1ghz 1.375volt
5.2ghz 1.4??
5.3ghz max ???volt
Lol

I finally got mine to 5.3GHz (cache 500MHz behind must for stable) - 1.52V - 7 AVX offset and my ram is on XMP 3200MHz.
The secret to this is OC the block 2% (102.1) while still leaving the cores at 5.2GHz. It will give you the extra boost you need to reach max. Unfortunately the Z270 Extreme 4 has a cap for voltage so no mater how good your cooling is you will not be able to go passed 1.52V. The boost actually takes it passed the cap when it needs it so that should give you an idea how much more voltage you'll need to go beyond 5.3GHz. I myself am happy with 5.3GHz since its more than 25% increase from stock. This set up is rock solid stable. Tested with Aida64 stability stress test.

For Kaby Lake and Skylake processors, the maximum VID programmed by Intel into the processor's VID table is 1.52V. VID is the voltage (VCore) that the processor requests from the CPU VRM stage for those Intel processor generations. Which means it is the maximum VCore that can be normally applied to the processor.

That "cap" or limit is not created by your board, it is a limitation built into the processor. If 1.52V is the maximum VCore your board's UEFI allows you to enter, it is simply respecting the limit of the VID table.

A few special boards designed for extreme over clocking may have an option to go beyond the maximum VID of a processor. But those boards also must have a CPU VRM design that is capable of supplying the power (Amps/Watts) required at voltages above 1.52V for sustained periods of time without over heating or damage to the CPU VRM components. That is unrelated to the cooling of the CPU.

So you apparently said you are seeing VCore voltages above 1.52V by increasing the BCLK above 100MHz? If so, what VCore do you get? What program is showing those VCore readings?

If you are running your CPU at 1.52V or above, I highly suggest that you monitor the CPU VRM temperature, and provide extra cooling in the CPU VRM heat sink area. While the Z270 Extreme4 is a great board, it is not designed to be an extreme over clocking platform.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MASTRandDSASTR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2017 at 4:21am

For i7 7700k oc voltage
5ghz 1.365 to 1.370volt
5.1ghz 1.375volt
5.2ghz 1.4??
5.3ghz max ???volt
Lol

M&D
Planvincent7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Planvincent7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2017 at 12:39am
For i7 7700k oc voltage
5ghz 1.365 to 1.370volt
5.1ghz 1.375volt
5.2ghz 1.4??
5.3ghz max ???volt
Lol
Planvincent7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Planvincent7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2017 at 12:30am
I had the same issue with you not getting a stable setting at first. That's when I was using asrock preset setting for i7 7700k. Made my own settings with a couple of restarts, trial and error. Got mine stable on 5ghz and now stable on 5.1ghz with my recostumed setting. Still trying to get 5.2ghz but doesn't look like it's a whole different kind of tweaking to get mine stable on 5.2ghz. I'm Using same mobo and cpu.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MASTRandDSASTR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 11:58pm
Like I said. Level 1. You might be able to get away with 2
M&D
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 11:07pm
Originally posted by MaloW MaloW wrote:

I am too noticing instability with LCC on my Z270 Extreme4.
With LLC level 4 (lowest) my 7700K is stable at 5.0Ghz through hours of RealBench at offset voltage +235mv, which results in a voltage between 1.312-1.328V during RealBench. However when doing light browsing and stuff I'm getting spikes up to 1.440V, so I would like to use LLC to get those down a bit.
However with LLC level 3, and the offset voltage set to +175mv, the spikes are down to 1.392V, and I get 1.328-1.344V during RealBench, which is quite a bit higher voltage than with LLC4, but it results in blue screens after just seconds or minutes of RealBench.

Does anyone have any tips on how to fix this? Or is it an issue with the actual board that can't be fixed?

So you don't see any voltage spikes during RealBench? What are you using to monitor VCore, CPU-Z?

Reaching 5GHz with a VCore of under 1.4V will be very difficult, and require a very good CPU, the luck of the draw of course.

Are you using the lower LLC values for some reason, with an OC to 5GHz? I know you like to see the lower VCore, who doesn't, but the required VCore above ~4.8GHz is not linear, it needs much more and a tighter LLC is needed.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MASTRandDSASTR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 10:42pm
As far as I know you're gonna nee the higher levels to get a higher clock speed. I have mine at lvl1 and it works great. Unless you're trying to save power which is not my case; you should just go for most performance with out exceeding 80C. That's just my opinion though.

M&D

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MASTRandDSASTR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 10:29pm
I neglected to mention that after the cooling solutions I was looking at 72C max temp in full load even during a 25min stress test with the 5.2Ghz setting. 74C now with 5.3Ghz. The delid with liquid metal will give you a 10C minimum decrease in temp. I've read you can get -25C, but I don't know how true that is since I've actually done it. If your ambient temp is cooler then you can obviously see better temps.
M&D
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic