ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Having issue with new video card on a old Mobo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Subzero664 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Subzero664 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 6:35am
I came across something to but not sure if it would work or not. Just incase the bios became corrupt would you recommend trying to put a flash version on a usb to see if it does anything or finding the disk that came with it to see if it does anything? fans come on and I hear my disk drive trying to run or disk drive. But the keyboard numlock doesn't light up and the mouse doesn't seem to have power going to it either.  Its behavior is doing what it would do if I was in bios trying to do a flash update, but if I didn't do it or try to back out it would shut off the system. When I was able to get into bios.  Saying if I used a usb put it in a 2.0 but a 3.0 should work just as well right? But this way has a 50/50 chance to fix the issue or not.

Confused

Edited by Subzero664 - 18 Feb 2017 at 6:37am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 6:13am
26, 10, and 15 are system memory related...... odd that on a simple BIOS reset.

Plug ahead ignoring those three .........
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 6:11am
Originally posted by Subzero664 Subzero664 wrote:

Update did the steps and now the bio's wont load. Then it shuts off after 2-4 min with 26-10-15 displaying on the motherboard. So I get to reseat things and then try without the video card to see if it boots. I tried to clear the cmos to fix is but no go. So after work I get to do the process of elimination to get it to boot.

Cry

Keep us posted ...........

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Subzero664 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 5:32am
Update did the steps and now the bio's wont load. Then it shuts off after 2-4 min with 26-10-15 displaying on the motherboard. So I get to reseat things and then try without the video card to see if it boots. I tried to clear the cmos to fix is but no go. So after work I get to do the process of elimination to get it to boot.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 2:37pm
The iGPU (Radeon 7660) needs to be disabled in the UEFI, if enabled it can cause confusion and stuttering in games. Once disabled you should run DDU again and install your drivers fresh. AMD's APUs throttle the CPU when the iGPU is loaded for power and TDP reasons, this can result in bottlenecking when a faster discrete GPU is installed. If this is happening when you are using your R9 380 then it explains your issues in gaming.

As for the RAM, try what Parsec suggested and post back.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Subzero664 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 11:04am
Sorry was suppose to be rating not waiting. Used my iPhone and it does auto correct. Right now its bio's is 2.3 from its original 1.7 version.  My ram is 1333 G-skill ddr3 in all 4 slots.  I did a default reset inside of bios. Do I need to do the other reset? As of now it has pci express listed in the northbridge setting.  Ill be home soon. Just going by what I know since I was fighting with this system last few days and did the bios reset last night. But didn't do anything with the cmos battery.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 10:11am
Originally posted by Subzero664 Subzero664 wrote:

Thought of something else and wonder if I just have the wrong ram cards or if it something in bio's I need to change. I placed 4 8gb sticks that is 1333 to get 32gb but the board only can see and use 2 of them. Gave up on it, but when I checked recently with AMD overclock it does see all 4 sticks while the bios only can see 2. When I looked further in the bio's it did acknowledge all 4 but it is only using 2 of them. So just wonder if I get a set of higher waiting ram sticks if that would correct.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you mean by "higher waiting" memory?

There are only a few 8GB DIMMs listed in your board's Memory Support List:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/FM2A85X%20Extreme6/?cat=Memory

Are all four DIMMs from a matched kit of memory, bought at the same time? What is the full model number of your memory?

When you put the new video card in the board, did you clear the BIOS? You really should do that any time you have a major hardware change like changing a video card. Setting the BIOS options to their default values is not the same as doing a BIOS/CMOS clear.

Your board's PCIE2 slot is a full x16 electrically, while the PCIE4 slot is x8 electrically, and the PCIE5 slot is x4 electrically. You must use the PCIE2 slot if you want the full PCIe 2.0 x16 electrical connection. Also, if you have any other add on card in the PCIE4 slot, the PCIE2 slot will be x8 electrically, as they share PCIe 2.0 lanes:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/FM2A85X%20Extreme6/?cat=Specifications

What BIOS version do you have in your board now?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Subzero664 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 8:45am
Thought of something else and wonder if I just have the wrong ram cards or if it something in bio's I need to change. I placed 4 8gb sticks that is 1333 to get 32gb but the board only can see and use 2 of them. Gave up on it, but when I checked recently with AMD overclock it does see all 4 sticks while the bios only can see 2. When I looked further in the bio's it did acknowledge all 4 but it is only using 2 of them. So just wonder if I get a set of higher waiting ram sticks if that would correct.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Subzero664 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 8:14am
ill post back to see what it does after I follow the Manuel. Thanks its been driving me nuts and it will suck if it was something that simple heh. Since its odd for both WoW and GTA to run sluggish with my ASUS r9 380 4gb video card. It was a better upgrade from my NVidia geforce 550ti 1gb. Going to post in a few hours after I get off from work.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Subzero664 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 8:09am
That's good since my old motherboard can't do 3.0 its a old 2.0 pci-e with its recent bios update for july/2013
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic