ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Having issue with new video card on a old Mobo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Subzero664 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Having issue with new video card on a old Mobo
    Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 6:31am
Trying to find out if it is my mobo or if it is a default setting with my new video card. I have a AMD a85x extreme6 with a AMD 64 3800ghz processer with 64gb maxed ram. I replaced a old NVidia 550ti 1GB with a Radeon r9 380 crossfire game video card with 4gb memory. That is a 3.0 support and it works but radeons relive crimson is showing the card as a 2.0 x8. when I play WoW it seems a little sluggish but I would think it would run smoother. Cpu temp at 20c and after running WoW it is at 45c Then mother board temp was sitting at 123F all the fans are working even the one on the CPU.  Would think the card would be seen as a x16 not sure if that would play a factor or not.

What I did next to see if it would correct the issue is I ran a DDU to remove both video drivers related to my new card and some remaining from NVidia. I went into the bio's and just put everything back to default settings. Got the new crimson driver 17.2 installed and when I load up WoW it still seems sluggish I even deleted the 3 folders in its folders before running it. That the game itself would only recommend 5 but it still seemed sluggish.  Crimson still still only seen a 2.0 x8 but memory and core clock was blank.  My next check to see if it does it with metal gear on high settings and GTA.

Side note not sure if it is anything but when I checked amd overdrive it had 2 video cards listed the onboard radeon 7660 HD and then my r9 380. Should that be? Only thing I haven't did yet was mess with the bio's with the video settings. Not sure if that would correct my issue or not if I adjusted it. Makes me wonder if the system thinks I'm using 2 video cards instead of just 1 since it is using a x8 instead of a x16.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 7:15am
RE side note: It sounds as if you've enabled AMD Dual Graphics.

IMO, you should disable Dual Graphics and just run with the R9 380

Edited by wardog - 17 Feb 2017 at 7:15am
Subzero664 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Subzero664 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 7:31am
I didn't think I had turned on dual graphics. How do I turn it off? Do I go into northbridge in the bios to disable it?
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 7:57am
Originally posted by Subzero664 Subzero664 wrote:

I didn't think I had turned on dual graphics. How do I turn it off? Do I go into northbridge in the bios to disable it?

Instead of my typing out volumes upon volumes here, see pg27 of your Manual. Simply "undo' what is described there under "2.6  AMD Dual Graphics Operation Guide".

Post back please afterwards that you got it straightened out.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 8:00am
Too, I should remind you that until AMD's AM4 Ryzen platform is released soon, all current AMD PCIe support is PCIe 2.0. No PCIe 3.0 until AM4.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Subzero664 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 8:09am
That's good since my old motherboard can't do 3.0 its a old 2.0 pci-e with its recent bios update for july/2013

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Subzero664 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 8:14am
ill post back to see what it does after I follow the Manuel. Thanks its been driving me nuts and it will suck if it was something that simple heh. Since its odd for both WoW and GTA to run sluggish with my ASUS r9 380 4gb video card. It was a better upgrade from my NVidia geforce 550ti 1gb. Going to post in a few hours after I get off from work.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Subzero664 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 8:45am
Thought of something else and wonder if I just have the wrong ram cards or if it something in bio's I need to change. I placed 4 8gb sticks that is 1333 to get 32gb but the board only can see and use 2 of them. Gave up on it, but when I checked recently with AMD overclock it does see all 4 sticks while the bios only can see 2. When I looked further in the bio's it did acknowledge all 4 but it is only using 2 of them. So just wonder if I get a set of higher waiting ram sticks if that would correct.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 10:11am
Originally posted by Subzero664 Subzero664 wrote:

Thought of something else and wonder if I just have the wrong ram cards or if it something in bio's I need to change. I placed 4 8gb sticks that is 1333 to get 32gb but the board only can see and use 2 of them. Gave up on it, but when I checked recently with AMD overclock it does see all 4 sticks while the bios only can see 2. When I looked further in the bio's it did acknowledge all 4 but it is only using 2 of them. So just wonder if I get a set of higher waiting ram sticks if that would correct.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you mean by "higher waiting" memory?

There are only a few 8GB DIMMs listed in your board's Memory Support List:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/FM2A85X%20Extreme6/?cat=Memory

Are all four DIMMs from a matched kit of memory, bought at the same time? What is the full model number of your memory?

When you put the new video card in the board, did you clear the BIOS? You really should do that any time you have a major hardware change like changing a video card. Setting the BIOS options to their default values is not the same as doing a BIOS/CMOS clear.

Your board's PCIE2 slot is a full x16 electrically, while the PCIE4 slot is x8 electrically, and the PCIE5 slot is x4 electrically. You must use the PCIE2 slot if you want the full PCIe 2.0 x16 electrical connection. Also, if you have any other add on card in the PCIE4 slot, the PCIE2 slot will be x8 electrically, as they share PCIe 2.0 lanes:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/FM2A85X%20Extreme6/?cat=Specifications

What BIOS version do you have in your board now?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Subzero664 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 11:04am
Sorry was suppose to be rating not waiting. Used my iPhone and it does auto correct. Right now its bio's is 2.3 from its original 1.7 version.  My ram is 1333 G-skill ddr3 in all 4 slots.  I did a default reset inside of bios. Do I need to do the other reset? As of now it has pci express listed in the northbridge setting.  Ill be home soon. Just going by what I know since I was fighting with this system last few days and did the bios reset last night. But didn't do anything with the cmos battery.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic