ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

GPU Booting Problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleepyhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GPU Booting Problem
    Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 11:51am
Hi, one week ago I have bought an GPU - Gigabyte Radeon RX 460 Windforce OC - which I installed on my - ASRock H81M-VG4(BIOS P1.50) - motherboard.

MOBO - http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/H81M-VG4/
GPU - http://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-RX460WF2OC-2GD

The problem is while I boot the computer using the RX 460.
It won't show the POST Screen and won't boot to windows loading screen(Its simply giving me a black screen and stay that way) unless I swap the RX 460 with my old GT 630.
While using the RX 460, computer shuts down instantly when pressing the power button (usually I think it should take around 4-5 seconds).

After I changed the RX 460 with the GT 630, It succesfully shows the POST Screen and I can use the BIOS so I can go to CSM and disable it then shut down the computer, remove the GT 630 from the PCIe slot, put the RX 460 back into the PCIe slot and it kinda works.

It does boot with CSM Disabled.

When it boots with CSM Disabled I hear 3-4 beeps and after those beeps a message shows up on the screen saying :

When I took this picture the bios version was P1.30 I succesfully updated it to P1.50 yesterday.

I press F1 and It does boot using the RX 460.
It works perfectly, without a problem untill I gotta shutdown the PC thats when CSM its getting set back to Enabled automatically..

Please can you guys help me do something about this? I've been changing GPU's between GT 630 and RX 460 for 1 week.

Should I buy a new Motherboard?
Can I damage the GPU if I take it out and put it back in everyday?
What should I do, please help me.

If that somehow help I use Windows 10.

Edited by sleepyhead - 20 Feb 2017 at 12:13pm
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 12:20pm
Fire up an app, GPU-z, and reply back what vBIOS it reports your RX460 is currently flashed to.

I can locate and confirm via Google that the 4GB version of your card has a GOP/UEFI compatible. But I haven't found anything of your 2GB model.

skillzzz, I'm actually surprised you didn't receive this advice at TomsHardware

Too, this can be overcome with changing a BIOS setting or two. But I'd much rather see you get a GOP/UEFI vBIOS first.

sleepyhead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleepyhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 12:28pm
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 2:26pm
Silly question but did you try clearing CMOS with the new GPU installed?

It looks like when you set CSM to off on the old card and then shut down and swap in the new one the board flags an error that is related to the old GPU. The RX 460 does support GOP where the GT 630 may not (some do some don't). If you have not tried to clear CMOS yet I would do so and post back. 

Edited by Xaltar - 20 Feb 2017 at 2:26pm
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 7:12pm
Anytime you change a major piece of hardware, like a video card, you should clear the UEFI/BIOS with the Clear CMOS jumper on the board.

Disabling CSM is normally something that you cannot do unless you installed Windows with CSM set to disabled. Also, the way Microsoft formats the OS drive when CSM is disabled, it still includes an MBR partition so the OS installation will boot with CSM enabled.

Did you install Windows 10 for UEFI booting?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleepyhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 8:11pm
I did clear the CMOS after installing the new GPU.

I don't know if I installed Windows 10 for UEFI, where do I check that?
Would installing Windows 7 fix all this problems ?

Edited by sleepyhead - 20 Feb 2017 at 8:17pm
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 10:46pm
Originally posted by sleepyhead sleepyhead wrote:

I don't know if I installed Windows 10 for UEFI, where do I check that?

Right click on the Start button, select Disk Management, and if it's installed with UEFI you will see a 100MB partition that states it is ""Healthy (EFI System Partition)""

Would installing Windows 7 fix all this problems ?

No, not installed in EFI/UEFI mode it won't be.

Is this a new build, or one that's been running fine on you H81M-VG4 motherboard for a while now?

Edited by wardog - 20 Feb 2017 at 10:46pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleepyhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 11:02pm
These are the partitions I have. I don't see any EFI System Partition so I guess its not EFI.
It's a build that have been working fine with the H81M-VG4 untill I changed the GPU.

If installing the Windows in UEFI mode would fix the problem, how can I do it ?

Edited by sleepyhead - 20 Feb 2017 at 11:05pm
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 11:26pm

If installing the Windows in UEFI mode would fix the problem, how can I do it ?

With the system powered down, connect/insert your Win10 instalation media(DVD or USB stick), power back up, and here you kinda need to be fast, but upon booting there will be a menu of options on the lower right of your screen, you want to select IIRC "Boot Options, then you will get a pop-up with choices to boot from.

Here you want(need!) to select the DVD or USB stick that the line will begin "UEFI: <your Win10 install media>""
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 11:29pm
Note: Please, clear your BIOS before performing that which I describe above!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic