FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z270 Taichi overclocking

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 10:40am
Yes, thanks for posting your experience. Thumbs Up

When I saw the thread title, I was worried it was an X99 Taichi owner with a Broadwell HEDT CPU, complaining about the OC potential. If you really want to OC on an X99 system, get a Haswell HEDT CPU. As long as you can that is, Haswell HEDT processors will be EOL soon.

Your OC is great, deliding is a big help of course, once you're at 4.8GHz or beyond. The VCore you can use is great, I never tried pushing mine that low. With no delid and air cooling, 4.9GHz on an i7-7700K is difficult to keep cool during stress testing.

We had a guy here that had an i7-6700K at 5.1GHz, with a 1.52V VCore, no delid I think, custom water cooled, with the Z170 Extreme7+ board.

While I've read about all the contempt in some forums for Kaby Lake processors due to their lack of IPC performance improvement, the stock and Turbo clock speeds are high, and can almost reach 5GHz with a decent board without too much work. If you can reach ~5GHz at ~1.4V VCore, and 4.8GHz at 1.38V on air, delidded, that is great.

About the memory speed, once you get beyond 3600, 16GB will be very difficult to maintain. The memory controller may not be able handle it, and the shielding and placement of the DRAM traces on the board are either not practical, too expensive, or both. You might get close to 4000 with only one 8GB DIMM, or two 4GB DIMMs. Nice tight timings at 3600, in real terms I doubt you'd get any performance benefit going faster.

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 8:54am
Indeed. Thanks for sharing!
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 5:59am
Thanks for sharing!

Han S. Olo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Han S. Olo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 5:40am
Hey Everybody! 

I found the internet very little user experiences with this motherboard so I decided to create an account and share some of mine.

I hope others share their also. Smile

Setup:
Taichi
i7-7700K Delidded (Batch L649H775)
2x8GB Tridentz 3600 cl16
Air cooling ATM

System runs stable 5ghz, cache 4.8ghz @ 1.32V. 
DRAM 3733 15-15-15-32 @ 1.38V.
Bios: Beta 1.31
Max. temps @ IBT ~75c

5.1ghz requires a lot more juice, something around 1.4V.
Memory at 3866 cl16 system boot's up with ~1.5V but won't be stable, I tried to increase VCCSA and VCCIO up to 1.3V but no help. 3733 cl14 work's fine. (I know, Taichi only supports memory up to 3733MHz) 

I hope OC Formula comes soon. Wink

Anyways. In this price point i think this is a great motherboard!
Nice looking, BIOS with enough settings and easy to use, SLI, ac wlan, a good audio codec and at least enough other features!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic