ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Z270 Supercarrier 09/d0, can't go to backup BIOS
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z270 Supercarrier 09/d0, can't go to backup BIOS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
kartik_subbarao View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kartik_subbarao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 10:46am
Good news! I removed all but one of my RAM cards and was able to boot up with BIOS A, which was on 1.11 (looks like the secure backup B->A didn't have any effect). I attached a FAT32 USB stick with the 1.10 BIOS file and used the UEFI Instant Flash tool to successfully downgrade BIOS A. I then added back my other RAM cards and successfully booted the system just like it was before. Problem solved, thanks for all of your suggestions!!

Edited by kartik_subbarao - 24 Feb 2017 at 10:55am
ultimateinternet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultimateinternet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 8:35am
just fyi: chat with asrock is now there 1900EST.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ultimateinternet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 5:40am
here's my steps to recover my taichi z270:

1. short bios_b
2. boot computer
3. watch it B-->A
4. wait for it to shut off and before it turns back on, power cut
5. remove jumper
6. remove gpu
7. remove all mem except 1 stick closest to cpu
8. boot
9. jump into bios
10. reflash with older flash (1.30 in my case)
11. reboot
12. shutdown
13. insert all gpu and mem back in
14. cooking without d0/09 and 1.30 again.
15. sigh of relief

so when you visit this link https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16813157754 look under the share button.  thats where I found the chat with asrock button.  right now it isn't there.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 3:33am
It sounds like you have gotten very unlucky. Try leaving it on with the jumper in place and see what happens. Don't interfere with the process, it may be an incremental backup. If after an hour or so it still won't proceed to completion then I would RMA the board. 

Sometimes it's best to RMA when a problem occurs so soon after purchase, at least you will know your replacement is not affected or damaged by the issue on the original board. 

We always recommend instant flash, it is much safer. Download the instant flash BIOS version from the product download page and follow the instructions to update. Windows based updates have a nasty habit of messing things up.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kartik_subbarao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 3:09am
Some progress -- I found the set of D_BIOS_TEST1 pins. It wasn't in that group of 5 jumpers, but located by itself to the right and above CHA_FAN3. The fan connector was obscuring it from my view before.

Now I'm able to boot into BIOS B, but I have another problem. It boots and quickly shuts down 1-2 times, then boots and does the Secure Backup UEFI B->A until the progress indicator reads 99%, then it shuts down, then boots and shuts down quickly again, then boots back into the secure UEFI backup and repeats this in a loop.

I've tried interrupting this loop by powering off the computer after the first or second reboot after the 99% done, and then removing the jumper. It switches back to BIOS A, but I get the same 09/d0 lockup with BIOS A again :-( It seems like the secure backup UEFI B->A didn't work.

Thinking about what other options might be possible.

Edited by kartik_subbarao - 24 Feb 2017 at 3:18am
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 2:45am
It would be great if you could post clear pic of the jumper block in question and the text printed under it. I see it on the product page images but it isn't legible.

The one you want is probably the one labled D_BIOS_TEST1. By the look of the pin cluster pin one is on the lower left corner. It looks like this cluster may be used internally during manufacture to configure and update the BIOS, I see the same pins on my Z270 Gaming K6 labled BIOS_PN (I think, it is hard to read without pulling my board out of the case). I would try shorting as follows with the PC power unplugged:

..  ..

Red, then try yellow then blue then pink then green

After that try power on the system.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kartik_subbarao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 2:22am
The tech support person from ASRock in California had me try several combinations of vertical and horizontal jumpering in that undocumented 5-jumper section, but unfortunately none of them switched the system to the B BIOS. He's going to put in a request with ASRock headquarters and see if he can get better information on this.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kartik_subbarao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 11:25pm
Originally posted by ultimateinternet ultimateinternet wrote:

hint: go to newegg.com.  find the board.  "chat with asrock"

I typed "chat with asrock" in the search field on newegg.com but didn't get any relevant matches. How you did you find that link/board on their website?

It's interesting because I did manage to get that 909-590-8308 phone number yesterday in a more roundabout manner. But it'd be good to know for future reference if there is a direct "chat with asrock" capability on newegg.com.

Edited by kartik_subbarao - 23 Feb 2017 at 11:27pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultimateinternet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 11:47am
Originally posted by kartik_subbarao kartik_subbarao wrote:

I have a call out to ASRock on this, hopefully I'll hear back from them soon.

hint: go to newegg.com.  find the board.  "chat with asrock"

ask them they are incredibly asrock knowledgeable.

GOod luck!

(thats where I found the BIOS_TEST1 jumper solution)

[from asrock via newegg earlier]
If you have question in the future, please contact us at 909-590-8308 or link below

[Tech support request link](http://event.asrock.com/tsd.asp)
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 11:33am
Sorry guys, I've looked into this as much as I can, and I can't tell you anymore than you have already discovered.

The full User Manual does not show the header you are discussing at all in the Mother board Layout section, where it should be, or in the Onboard Headers and Connectors section.

I don't have this board myself, to try to figure it out.

I apologize for this, I'll try to learn something and get back to you.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic