ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Z270 Supercarrier 09/d0, can't go to backup BIOS
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z270 Supercarrier 09/d0, can't go to backup BIOS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 3:33am
It sounds like you have gotten very unlucky. Try leaving it on with the jumper in place and see what happens. Don't interfere with the process, it may be an incremental backup. If after an hour or so it still won't proceed to completion then I would RMA the board. 

Sometimes it's best to RMA when a problem occurs so soon after purchase, at least you will know your replacement is not affected or damaged by the issue on the original board. 

We always recommend instant flash, it is much safer. Download the instant flash BIOS version from the product download page and follow the instructions to update. Windows based updates have a nasty habit of messing things up.
ultimateinternet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ultimateinternet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 5:40am
here's my steps to recover my taichi z270:

1. short bios_b
2. boot computer
3. watch it B-->A
4. wait for it to shut off and before it turns back on, power cut
5. remove jumper
6. remove gpu
7. remove all mem except 1 stick closest to cpu
8. boot
9. jump into bios
10. reflash with older flash (1.30 in my case)
11. reboot
12. shutdown
13. insert all gpu and mem back in
14. cooking without d0/09 and 1.30 again.
15. sigh of relief

so when you visit this link https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16813157754 look under the share button.  thats where I found the chat with asrock button.  right now it isn't there.
ultimateinternet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultimateinternet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 8:35am
just fyi: chat with asrock is now there 1900EST.
kartik_subbarao View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kartik_subbarao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 10:46am
Good news! I removed all but one of my RAM cards and was able to boot up with BIOS A, which was on 1.11 (looks like the secure backup B->A didn't have any effect). I attached a FAT32 USB stick with the 1.10 BIOS file and used the UEFI Instant Flash tool to successfully downgrade BIOS A. I then added back my other RAM cards and successfully booted the system just like it was before. Problem solved, thanks for all of your suggestions!!

Edited by kartik_subbarao - 24 Feb 2017 at 10:55am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 11:09am
Xaltar and others, this is the best picture I could find so far. If you left click on the image and select View image, and click on it again to zoom in, it helps somewhat:

Still hard to read the text below and to the left of the jumper pins, but we have this from an earlier post thanks to kartik_subbarao:

BIOS_A_LED1  J1  LED019  D_BIOS_TEST1
BIOS_B_LED1

I've never seen anything like this on any ASRock board, so can't comment on it yet. Confused

Edited by parsec - 24 Feb 2017 at 11:11am
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by kartik_subbarao kartik_subbarao wrote:

Good news! I removed all but one of my RAM cards and was able to boot up with BIOS A, which was on 1.11 (looks like the secure backup B->A didn't have any effect). I attached a FAT32 USB stick with the 1.10 BIOS file and used the UEFI Instant Flash tool to successfully downgrade BIOS A. I then added back my other RAM cards and successfully booted the system just like it was before. Problem solved, thanks for all of your suggestions!!

That is great news Thumbs Up

It sounds like the new BIOS version broke compatibility with your RAM, it would also explain why the backup failed, if the system detected memory errors it would not be able to properly complete and end up in a loop.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 2:16pm
Just to confirm, are these the jumper pads you needed to short to initiate the backup?

Highlighted in red.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kartik_subbarao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 9:31pm
Yes -- precisely correct. The two pins highlighted in red are the ones that I jumpered to switch to BIOS B.

Looking at it more closely, J1 is printed in a slightly larger font than the LED labels. Perhaps J1 is referring to that entire bank of 5 jumpers. BIOS_A_LED1 and BIOS_B_LED1 may be nothing more than labels for the LEDs that are right above that area. LED019 may just be referring to another LED nearby. Which leaves D_BIOS_TEST1 referring to the two pins above CHA_FAN3.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kartik_subbarao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 10:07pm
Originally posted by ultimateinternet ultimateinternet wrote:

just fyi: chat with asrock is now there 1900EST.

BTW -- I misinterpreted the phrase "find the board" from your prior post. I thought you were referring to a message board (e.g. discussion forum) of some sort. When I saw your next post, I realized what you meant was find the product page for the motherboard, then look for the "chat with asrock" button. I was then able to find it. This is a good feature, good to know about for future reference!
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 10:34pm
Awesome, thanks for clarifying. 

Enjoy your new system Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic