ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Z270 Supercarrier 09/d0, can't go to backup BIOS
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z270 Supercarrier 09/d0, can't go to backup BIOS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kartik_subbarao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z270 Supercarrier 09/d0, can't go to backup BIOS
    Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 12:25am
I have a Z270 Supercarrier and used the Internet Flash utility in UEFI setup to upgrade the BIOS from 1.10 to 1.11. The upgrade process completed successfully and no errors were reported. However, when the computer rebooted with the new BIOS, it just hung with a blackscreen. I have rebooted the system over 20 times, with the same result. The boot process runs for about 15 seconds, the Dr. Debug LED settles on 09 or d0, and remains in that hung state.

According to the manual, "after several failed boot attempts, the backup BIOS will take over" -- but this doesn't seem to be happening. It still boots from the active BIOS (BIOS_A_LED is on). I also tried unplugging the computer and depressing the clear CMOS button for over 10 seconds, but that didn't seem to have any affect.

Is there any way that I can force a switch to BIOS B, or alternatively, downgrade BIOS A back to 1.10? The motherboard was working fine with 1.10 before I upgraded it to 1.11.

ultimateinternet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultimateinternet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 8:57am
Yes.  This.

+1

Replace supercarrier with taichi and bios with 1.30 --> 1.33

09/d0 can't get to backup bios.

reboot, clear cmos, etc.

just what kartik_subbarao said: switch bios B, downgrade A or restore to A from B, HELP!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ultimateinternet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 9:27am
SOLUTION:

BIOS_TEST1 jumper on the board next to the DR DEBUG.

short it out.  boot up computer.  biosB-->biosA

BINGO.

Good luck my friend.
kartik_subbarao View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kartik_subbarao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 10:50am
Originally posted by ultimateinternet ultimateinternet wrote:

SOLUTION:

BIOS_TEST1 jumper on the board next to the DR DEBUG.

short it out.  boot up computer.  biosB-->biosA

BINGO.

Good luck my friend.

Glad to hear that that worked for you! I'm trying to sort out exactly which pins to short out, and whether to do so vertically or horizontally, since this stuff isn't documented in the manual. Next to Dr. Debug on my motherboard, I see a set of 5 jumpers which seem to be labeled as follows:

BIOS_A_LED1  J1  LED019  D_BIOS_TEST1
BIOS_B_LED1

The jumper panel is clearly visible in this image (with the top pin absent from the central "J1" jumper, assuming vertical orientation?):

I'm guessing that D_BIOS_TEST1 (the rightmost jumper assuming vertical orientation), is what corresponds to BIOS_TEST1 on your motherboard. I have a call out to ASRock on this, hopefully I'll hear back from them soon.

Edited by kartik_subbarao - 24 Feb 2017 at 1:53am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 11:33am
Sorry guys, I've looked into this as much as I can, and I can't tell you anymore than you have already discovered.

The full User Manual does not show the header you are discussing at all in the Mother board Layout section, where it should be, or in the Onboard Headers and Connectors section.

I don't have this board myself, to try to figure it out.

I apologize for this, I'll try to learn something and get back to you.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultimateinternet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 11:47am
Originally posted by kartik_subbarao kartik_subbarao wrote:

I have a call out to ASRock on this, hopefully I'll hear back from them soon.

hint: go to newegg.com.  find the board.  "chat with asrock"

ask them they are incredibly asrock knowledgeable.

GOod luck!

(thats where I found the BIOS_TEST1 jumper solution)

[from asrock via newegg earlier]
If you have question in the future, please contact us at 909-590-8308 or link below

[Tech support request link](http://event.asrock.com/tsd.asp)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kartik_subbarao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 11:25pm
Originally posted by ultimateinternet ultimateinternet wrote:

hint: go to newegg.com.  find the board.  "chat with asrock"

I typed "chat with asrock" in the search field on newegg.com but didn't get any relevant matches. How you did you find that link/board on their website?

It's interesting because I did manage to get that 909-590-8308 phone number yesterday in a more roundabout manner. But it'd be good to know for future reference if there is a direct "chat with asrock" capability on newegg.com.

Edited by kartik_subbarao - 23 Feb 2017 at 11:27pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kartik_subbarao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 2:22am
The tech support person from ASRock in California had me try several combinations of vertical and horizontal jumpering in that undocumented 5-jumper section, but unfortunately none of them switched the system to the B BIOS. He's going to put in a request with ASRock headquarters and see if he can get better information on this.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 2:45am
It would be great if you could post clear pic of the jumper block in question and the text printed under it. I see it on the product page images but it isn't legible.

The one you want is probably the one labled D_BIOS_TEST1. By the look of the pin cluster pin one is on the lower left corner. It looks like this cluster may be used internally during manufacture to configure and update the BIOS, I see the same pins on my Z270 Gaming K6 labled BIOS_PN (I think, it is hard to read without pulling my board out of the case). I would try shorting as follows with the PC power unplugged:

..  ..

Red, then try yellow then blue then pink then green

After that try power on the system.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kartik_subbarao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 3:09am
Some progress -- I found the set of D_BIOS_TEST1 pins. It wasn't in that group of 5 jumpers, but located by itself to the right and above CHA_FAN3. The fan connector was obscuring it from my view before.

Now I'm able to boot into BIOS B, but I have another problem. It boots and quickly shuts down 1-2 times, then boots and does the Secure Backup UEFI B->A until the progress indicator reads 99%, then it shuts down, then boots and shuts down quickly again, then boots back into the secure UEFI backup and repeats this in a loop.

I've tried interrupting this loop by powering off the computer after the first or second reboot after the 99% done, and then removing the jumper. It switches back to BIOS A, but I get the same 09/d0 lockup with BIOS A again :-( It seems like the secure backup UEFI B->A didn't work.

Thinking about what other options might be possible.

Edited by kartik_subbarao - 24 Feb 2017 at 3:18am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic