ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

instant flash choice not available?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wmunn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2017 at 3:05am
I know the drives were good, the cpu seemed fine, had to be a board issue. Any version of windows installer would hang right at the beginning.
In the past when I have run into that particular issue a BIOS update fixed it, which is why I was trying in the first place.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2017 at 3:33am
Memory compatibility is a known issue with Ryzen and by the symptoms you described that is exactly your issue. Ryzen forces 1T command rates and at this point that can't be changed. Most current DDR4 runs at 2T command rates and will lock up or be very unstable anywhere past about 2400mhz (on a 3000+mhz kit). A 3600 kit may not work well without loosening timings and lowering frequency to about 2666 or 2800. Faster kits will net faster results because they are binned better and capable of tighter timings but you will not see 3600 on a ryzen board atm, not until kits are tuned specifically for Ryzen.

Your RAM is causing the post loops as it tries to train the memory and fails until defaults are loaded. Set the RAM to say 2400 and try again. If you can return the RAM then I would go ahead and do so. Gskill just released it's first compliment of Ryzen ready RAM in 2 flavors, budget and performance. Take a look: 

The RAM should be cheaper than the $400 you paid for that kit and will work much better.
wmunn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wmunn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2017 at 3:41am
both the ram and the board are going back, I had ram running as slow as I could set it and it still did it.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2017 at 5:16am
At the end of the day, if you are not happy with the product that is your choice to make, I am not trying to convince you otherwise. All I am trying to do is inform you of what I have discovered based on research and numerous reviews. Ryzen does not play nice with most current DDR4 kits, check out the reviews on youtube and you will see the common thread of RAM compatibility issues. Your RAM is designed for 2T command rates and is being forced to run at 1T, in my opinion and I could be wrong, that is where the issue is coming from. Some RAM can be run at lower frequencies with 1T command rate set but some can't, it depends on the binning.  

I am repeating this because if I am right you will run into the same issues no matter what board brand or model you replace it with. The issue stems from the new architecture not from board partners. I strongly recommend that you pick up some Ryzen certified RAM with whatever board you choose.

Good luck and please let us know how it works out for you Thumbs Up
wmunn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wmunn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2017 at 6:29am
I fully intend to get the ram aimed specifically at ryzen, g.skill fortis probably
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2017 at 1:45pm
Have you tried forcing a CR of 1 on whatever kit you have?

BTW, what mem kit do you have?

Natched. See post below this one.

Edited by wardog - 05 Mar 2017 at 5:44pm
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2017 at 5:43pm
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Have you tried forcing a CR of 1 on whatever kit you have?

Natch that. No BIOS options to change it.
wmunn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wmunn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2017 at 6:54pm
This issue has been such a tough one to definitely know board vs memory being an issue. It  never started up correctly to begin with, long posts, powering up and down 2 to 3 times before actually posting into uefi bios, although it did load windows 10 install fine the first time. any successive attempt to install windows 10 or windows 7 with known good media was a failure. always hangs up where the windows logo is at the beginning, then the 5 little circles go around one half circle and it locks up.

every time I have run into that windows 10 install issue, it has been a bios issue, or motherboard failure. 
usually if it is a ram issue, you get blue screens and reboots later on in the windows install process.
wmunn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wmunn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2017 at 7:11pm
I have been building my own computers since 1991 and when you get an issue like this on a personal build, it sucks just as much now as it ever did.

Usually my builds go flawlessly. I hate this.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2017 at 7:12pm
Long post and boot looping is typically RAM training and failing in the scenario you mentioned. 

This is a new architecture and there are going to be a lot of headaches getting things to work right. If you look at tech reviews you will note that many of them spent days just trying to get the systems to run stable, these are reviewers with numerous spare parts laying about to test. The common problem across most reviews I have watched/read has been RAM compatibility and the 1T issue I have been going on about. I am not saying that is the only issue but it is the largest stability related issue. Its impossible to test a system if you can't even get the RAM to consistently work Angry

I have read and watched every review from every source I can find as I don't have a Ryzen system yet to test for myself. I will keep doing my best to pass on information as I find it. Don't give up, from what I have been seeing the effort is worth it. Ryzen 7 are beasts.

Keep us posted as to your progress. If it helps I have seen quite a few reviewers show positive results with the X370 Taichi. Most of the reviews I have seen used the boards that came with the press kit from AMD, ASRock was not among the brands sent out. All these boards posed issues however. One reviewer, Hardware Unboxed on youtube, actually went for the ASRock X370 Taichi as it worked the best of the 4 boards he had on hand. This is probably because it is the current flagship and has beefier VRMs for both RAM and CPU power delivery.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic