ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Fatal1ty 970 Performance nb/SB/vrm cooler dimensio
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fatal1ty 970 Performance nb/SB/vrm cooler dimensio

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 11:13am
This is not what you really want, but I'll give it to you anyway. Bottom view of the 970 Performance:

You said you wanted "heatsink dimensions", but the mounting screw points are critical.

IMO, you will have a very hard time finding a copper heat sink that will fit on the CPU VRMs. If the mounting screw points align perfectly, then the heat sink shape itself will not be what you'd like it to be. There is no chance that is a standard dimension of any kind, no doubt a custom made heat sink.

I disagree that "aluminum coolers are useless". Aluminum is the heat sink material standard of the world for many reasons.

Unfortunately, by the time you spend the money on copper heat sinks for your board, for the total amount spent, you could have bought a 990FX Extreme9.

What you really need is air movement over the existing heat sinks. I built an 80mm fan mount out of an 'L' bracket, some screws and magnets for my 970 Performance/3.1 board. Mounted within inches of the VRM heatsink, the fan pushed air directly across it, and while stress testing an FX-9590, an IR thermometer read the heat sink temperature as ~ 120F.

You can see it in the upper right hand corner of this picture, blue LEDs visible:

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

I disagree that "aluminum coolers are useless". Aluminum is the heat sink material standard of the world for many reasons.

Agreed. Aluminum dissipates(releases) it's temp much faster than copper, which acts more of a storage sink. Maintaining it's temp much longer than aluminum.

Boil a block of each, dump them through a strainer, and toss each onto a counter. The aluminum block will cool much faster.

Density.

That's why the quality $$$ copper ones have machined "pins" that can allow more surface area from which a stiff airflow can circulate through. But this airflow to be effective on these copper pins needs to be directed and not simply relying on case fan circulation alone.

Get an Extreme9. Save $$ and time. The EX9 is hands down that much better and meant to handle that processor w/o breaking a sweat. From the ground up the EX9 was designed to.

mgrandy@hotmail.co.u View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgrandy@hotmail.co.u Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 2:34pm
Ye if you want too look at them you can. I'll post some pics later to show setup etc if this helps and fit another 2 fans to it see how it goes

OK ALU ain't uslesss but you still need a copper base its no good at getting heat away from the chips. a copper heat sink with fan usually out performs the ALU only Heat sinks. That been said I stuck to your advice of keeping the ALU heat sinks on for the time being.
I had already purchased 2x akasa chipset coolers ak-210 too but not yet fitted. These are ALU but and are slightly smaller heat sinks but yet fitted with fans so not to sure if I'll put the heatsinks on at all yet.

It was running great till I hooked up my 850w gave it some 65a power instead of the (500w)27a power. Yes ok bad me for running on the 27a but was for few days needs must.

Honestly I ain't even turned the auto core off yet or even put any serious load on this board. And yes 4 days in lol its running on the 4 boosted core mode that was auto set on

Didn't have time to look at them myself. Tried a reinstall of windows. As was an older hdd of mine but was just mad blue screens IRQ = to or less than, was the first I encountered.

Yes my victory was short lived going to update bios but not looking good so far as you can see from temps they are more than stable! And honestly don't seem like HDD failure but bios/driver level. it was/is certainly cool enough

Also don't count to yourself I only have 1 fan. I do not. I have 6 fans not shown in the temps page as I have outside fan controller always on max.

Anyway wish me luck.

Edited by mgrandy@hotmail.co.u - 15 Mar 2017 at 6:39pm
fx 9370 asrock, fatal1ty 970 performance 3.1, NZXT phantom f-atx, AeroCool Integrator 850W, Corsair Hydro Series H100

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgrandy@hotmail.co.u Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 3:30pm
if you look here is shows only 8gbs available out of 12 so supect ram fail
http://i.imgur.com/n2SAFCD.jpg

setup pics
excuse the silcon paste 0.8 here as thought it needed coollaborty liquid metal pro so replaced a few days on

this one is inside my system notice the 200mm directly blowing on my mb 

And 2 more of these to put on these are only 40mmx40mm alu and are stickons eek

this was more on my way of thinking, then mounting a fan

honestly think i could make something like this fit too when/if i get full loop going obviously get its bigger daddy or see which is the better fit

heres the output from the .dmp files showing the 2 driver fails and what they were
the hal.dll lead me to believe the hdd is at fault as stated here
the other is saying my ram is failing or oc even possibly malware, so time  to run memtest. one of my 4gbs sticks is older the other is new. i was in amd overdrive at the time. i didnt apply any settings to my knowledge thou also they are miss matched 4g and 8g stick ive not since long replace the 4g x2 as one previously failed. hate to say this but might have to just dump the 4g stick as old and try 1 of many 500gig hdds i have see how i get on. on that note its maybe just going through all my weak components and laughing at them lol

edit:- ram fail 4g stick possible hdd

Edited by mgrandy@hotmail.co.u - 15 Mar 2017 at 6:05pm
fx 9370 asrock, fatal1ty 970 performance 3.1, NZXT phantom f-atx, AeroCool Integrator 850W, Corsair Hydro Series H100
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by mgrandy@hotmail.co.u mgrandy@hotmail.co.u wrote:

one of my 4gbs sticks is older the other is new.

also they are miss matched 4g and 8g stick ive not since long replace the 4g x2 as one previously failed.

Mixing sticks. Not good.

Get those replaced with a matched KIT and let us know how it gets along.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgrandy@hotmail.co.u Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 1:40am
https://community.amd.com/thread/197299
says max temp is 57 deg for the cpu and the 70 i was getting was right but thats 13 deg higher than it should be. so even with the h100 running max warp speed im still running hot right? lol better stay away from amd overdrive. what does your 9570 run at cpu temp wise?

Edit:- so I encounter the blues screen again after my investigation into them I feel more prepared this time and after numerous reinstalls I might add too.

So 1:- I removed a so called fault ram stick- no effect
   2:- attempted to reinstall windows crashed.
   3:- changed to ide mode also to no affect. Crashed before install.
   4:- me being Para about temps watched in bios all stable at 40 something CPU (29 mb)
   5:- decided after my cuppa I was going to under clock the system. As to me the crash at install from a clean CD seemed like it was way to unstable at bios level if it cannot even get past install.
   6:-so I disable the turbo core, drop the cpu core down to minimum 1600mhz (pics incoming) reboot to bios and watch temps. All looks good temps are far lower over my hour. Overall the machine don't sound like its sucking life out the power grid(always listen). Installed windows no problem zero BOSD. granted I now have an 8 core 1600mhz which ain't great But "the only way is up, baby". so temps confirmed and overdrive is sitting sensible 51 CPU idle 39 ish mb and all 8 cores running 1600mhz is also confirmed.
*also different plug headers to give my fans full speed which had no effect on temps.
**i also tested a number of operating systems.
***limited amount of driver files lan only.
****also on an gt9500 1gb for less power drain.
 now I have 6 degrees to play with but first need to test stability and BOSD.which I'm assuming has now gone

temps are below

4ghz x 8-core
Start time: 2017_03_19 21:15:02
End time: 2017_03_19 21:31:39
Sample time interval(second):1

--------------Boost--------------
Seconds
Core0 0
Core1 0
Core2 0
Core3 0
Core4 0
Core5 0
Core6 0
Core7 0

--------------TMP--------------
Min Max Average
Core0 32.12 51.50 47.04
Core1 32.12 51.50 47.04
Core2 32.12 51.50 47.04
Core3 32.12 51.50 47.04
Core4 32.12 51.50 47.04
Core5 32.12 51.50 47.04
Core6 32.12 51.50 47.04
Core7 32.12 51.50 47.04
TMPIN0 37.85 39.25 38.57

--------------FAN--------------
Min Max Average
FAN3 2123 2206 2153

heres where ive mounted my fan so we aint confused in any way.
The benfit was more from my 59cfm 192mm case fan. instant stable mb temp of under 40 deg

this was my first bios move althou i dont think relevant

this one i think hit the jackpot
some bios temps also running new settings after 1hour  http://i.imgur.com/0I2BmRb.jpg

will update soon... Tbc may take time to test each freq and temps motherboard seems to be competent too i might add soon see

Edit:
2x full 24 hours on and no BOSD ran windows update (227 total) , tested luke warm gta3. i would call that stable now lets have a play with clocks :D
4ghz fine temps stable whoot update on the temps paste has settled

Edited by mgrandy@hotmail.co.u - 20 Mar 2017 at 5:35am
WKjun View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WKjun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 8:21pm
Hi!

Maybe you can extract some useful information from my old thread:
http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=660

Although my negative opinion and experience with this board is no use for you, I once more have to say that the VRM is not suitable at all to drive a FX-9000 without modification.

As for these compact closed-loop water coolers, a very good air cooler like the NH-D14/15 cools way better, less noisy and the VRMs with it (in that case definetly not enough). It perfectly suits mine and it stays way below 60° at full load.

Back to the board. There are several threads here rearding your situation. Imagine all these hours and days spent of experimentation and testing to get this combo to work, whereas it should go smoothly like plug&play. I still wonder why ASrock still promotes it FX-9000 compatible. ANY 125W capable board would then be 220W capable too if special active VRM cooling or modification is needed...

However, it should NEVER be like that you have to modify Voltages and Clocks to get it stable!

But I don't want to frustrate you. Read through my thread, you might find it helpful and I'm willing to help you if I can.

PS: I've never got the Turbo stable, no matter what I've tried...
PC1: FX-9590@def|290 |16GB@2133|Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
PC2: FX-8320@4.5|290 |16GB@2133| "
PC3: FX-9590@def|280X|16GB@2133| "
PC4: FX-9370@def|280X|16GB@2133| "
PC5: FX-6300@4.6|7950|16GB@1866|990FX-UD3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgrandy@hotmail.co.u Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2017 at 5:42am
ok ty very much, more on this

ive been running auto mode in bios settings , cool and quiet enabled/disabled in fact every setting you can think of. ive tried swapping out hdd, ram, drivers, bios, graphics card to every slot possible. yet im still running into these blue screens.

ok so its not malware due to a fresh format and it still blue screening, clean disk also. its also not overclock related due to using still stock settings and having a piss about with them even after a fresh install. like i said i updated the bios to ver 1.1 due to blue screens which i am still getting on or just as windows boots.

i did notice my HD audio driver stopped working shortly before, which i re enabled then couldnt get away from the blue screens even after a fresh install 

reports for the blue screens are very wide and varied ranging from driver malfunctions to kernel power errors. these seem to happen at pure random moments. ive also noted that when installing redis C++ packs it was locking up like a mad overclock.

to note ive also removed any software that might overclock the system without my knowing so yet still receiving them. sometimes it can be a week 24/7 on and then i get them or it can be 1 day 24/7 or even 1 hour.

as i speak to you now this is my erm 8th time reinstalling windows but ty for your reply. its just total weird my temps are fine and the PC runs great 99% of the time. just these dyam random bosd errors that happen for no apparent reason (scrap that its a driver conflict of some sort)

this does not BOSD in bios, it BOSD in windows usually after reinstall, it also happens in safe mode and on windows 7 pro along with ultimate. as i sit now my PC is fine like i said pure random going to try a lunix OS see if i can pin point if its windows 7 causing issues.

games run so far fallout 4:- 60 fps temps stable, run for 6-10 hours at times
gta 5:- 70 fps temps stable run for a good 1h 
planet-side 2:- 40-60 fps run for a good 4-10 hours per time

another note i cannot get my xbox 360 wired controller to register both orignal 360 wired and a rock candy wired. it shows up in device manager but wont load the drivers. yet my madcatz 360 wired pc steering wheel plugs in and works right off the bat. ive also tried locating the usb port number and entering manually into the .ini file but this does not appear (usb/unknown). wierd as the controllers worked on my other PC but ive yet to test on a 360. these also i noted spin the motor when plugged in so there is definitely some power getting to them. i used to hav an issue where if my LX3000 Microsoft head set was plugged in at the same time it used to fail to boot my pc until one was removed. atm i cant even get them to instal even disabling driver sig enforcement/remove and reinstall etc. its just weird. on the back ports usb 2.0 and 3.0 i get no notification, use my front usb hub 2.0 and it registers me plugging it in but i cannot get drivers to install. use my front usb 3.0 and it dont register it period but like i said madcatz wheel works fine

i seem to hav more stable os using ide install and not ahci, ahci mode install caused random BOSD, ide mode stopped them during windows load up might be related some how. yes the were both tested on fresh installs ahci ran for 1 week 24/7 b4 BOSD, i then had to change the install to IDE to stop them BOSD on windows load after a fresh install

ps your above link is dead, honestly imo opinion this board seems to do the job and is great but i cant help feeling they rushed something somewhere. games i can accept they arnt perfect on release but a MB that does nothing but BOSD on stock settings on an older well known chip-set and OS. this should be almost perfect which it is not. shame really

Edited by mgrandy@hotmail.co.u - 05 Apr 2017 at 7:20am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic