ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Fatal1ty 970 Performance nb/SB/vrm cooler dimensio
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fatal1ty 970 Performance nb/SB/vrm cooler dimensio

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgrandy@hotmail.co.u Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fatal1ty 970 Performance nb/SB/vrm cooler dimensio
    Posted: 08 Mar 2017 at 2:32pm
OK so long story short the board has stock ALU coolers on the chips etc. I'm on the hunt for some copper coolers but not sure how to take the dimensions if its just from center pin to center pin. The ALU coolers are useless and the heat paste I use eats ALU for breakfast so nothing but copper would do. I really would hate to have to remove them 2ce so if anyone has at hand I would be grateful (All 3 board heatsink dimensions or a nudge in right direction)

Specs are NZXT phantom full case
Amd fx 9370 8core
H100i
Asrock fatal1ty 970 Performance 3.1
Nvivida 750ti 4gb DDR 5
12 gbs DDR 3 1800mhz
850w psu

Edited by mgrandy@hotmail.co.u - 08 Mar 2017 at 2:42pm
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2017 at 2:55pm
Two shops I know of that can help you dimension and copper HS wise.

Gary(Owner) @ http://sidewindercomputers.com Gary is an awesome guy. Very personable attention paid to each and every customer. Not sure he remembers me yet tell him wardog from here sent you. My serious OCing days are bedhind me so it's been some time since we spoke.

The gang @ http://www.frozencpu.com/

And doesn't RAMCity in AU have what you need, closer by?

mgrandy@hotmail.co.u View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgrandy@hotmail.co.u Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2017 at 3:03pm
OK thanks I'll check ERM out honestly I used to just stick an extra fan or two there normally but seen as how good the Coollaboratory Liquid Pro is on CPU and how hot the fx 9370 gets. I thought be great for the likes of them too. Fingers crossed my case fans cut the mustard on keeping board temps down etc

From first looks there's a mofset cooler there on sidewinder that looks good. http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/thhrty2moco.html but can't find out if its copper plated nickel, but a bigger step forward from the sites I've been looking on least that thing adjusts lol, I was half tempted to get the hacksaw and drill out and start chopping up my own.

The paste I had issues with was rated 0.8w/mk it was CPU stable with this at 70 degrees c(ik bad all i had)but the board tmpin1 kept climbing too well above 43 deg, fingers crossed it stays cool with 32.6w/mk paste when I get it built back up later this week and the 2 extra 80mm fans and the 120mm I've not long since wired up along with the 2 on rad and the 80mm exhaust.

it does say you need like 34 cfm or so pointed at your vrm

Edited by mgrandy@hotmail.co.u - 08 Mar 2017 at 3:54pm
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2017 at 3:46pm
Knowing you won't set a World Record with a 9370 on this board, I'm guessing you're jumping hoops that don't need jumped through.

The stock ones will be fine. Note: Seeings you'll use the H100 it is required that a fan be placed and secured to provide airflow over the VRM section. A std HS/F can usually cool them enough but the water pump isn't a fan so you'll need this fan there.

IMO, if this MB was just bought, and considering that 9370, I really really consider the 990FX Extreme9. Them I'm assuming you'll OC the dickens out of it considering the H100.

The VRM section on the Fatal1ty 970 Performance 3.1 IMO and many other User experiences here with it, the VRMs just aren't up to the task of powering the AMD 9xxx silicon. Random reboots, BSODs and all other things that can, do.

Yea. I'm a Moderator on the corporate ASRock Tech Forums. Yet I'd much rather see a happy User than an angry one. I'm positive ASRock does too. So, I speak from my vast experiences and I speak my mind while doing so to keep Users from making mistakes.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgrandy@hotmail.co.u Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2017 at 4:06pm
Sorry re edited above post to include my fan setup etc and the temp issues etc but I see what you mean about the fan pointed at vrm. I have a 120mm direct on the mb and 2 smaller 40mm fans on route to put on the chips(in the post) along with the 2x 80mm at the HDD section (not far from mb).

Also extremely happy considering the cost compared to the extreme9 my previous build was fm2a55-dgs along with the a10 6800k oc to 6.3ghz. May be went a bit over kill on fans but hey ho lol and Yep I thought it better to ask.

Yes I did have random shut down but assumed it was heat issues as temp was rising bad thought ide solve that first well not so much random but anyway. I've heard the horror story's about the vrm burning assumed it was bad cooling on user part. I play safe run it for hour on idle and it shut down let it cool, then booted up to watch temps.

I remember my old 3.4ghz duel core socket 775 had the exact same shut downs think it was p5n32-sli I had issues with but the sli- duluxe had extra big heat sink and extra fans mounted on nb/SB and not 1 random shut down like the sli version. Stupidity amazes me sometimes and the ALU heat sinks with no fans don't help these things really should be water cooled. my socket 775 Asus board had that and it was donkeys years old. if you compare the extreme 9 heat sink yet again far superior to that of the fatal1ty 970 by miles. I doubt 90% of of random shutdowns are random but will soon see.

Any way will update when post man arrives.

Edited by mgrandy@hotmail.co.u - 08 Mar 2017 at 5:01pm
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2017 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by mgrandy@hotmail.co.u mgrandy@hotmail.co.u wrote:

Any way will update when post man arrives.

Yea, careful with the VRMs on that board with a 9000 series FX. Any smoke is supposed to stay inside the device or wiring.

Please, updates.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgrandy@hotmail.co.u Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2017 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Knowing you won't set a World Record with a 9370 on this board, Then I'm assuming you'll OC the dickens out of it considering the H100.

Honestly I was happy with my a10 6800k at 6.3ghz x4 oc or (normal 4.4ghz x 4) till my cheap dust filled PSU took it out along with itself and left some hideous burn marks. 8x 4.4ghz is almost 10ghz more and I struggled to keep less than that cool so its understandable.

Was also thinking of under clocking rather than over clock worst come to worst and can't keep them down, soon see

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgrandy@hotmail.co.u Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2017 at 2:25am
ok so got some coollabs liquid pro through the post, hooked up my side 200mm it was (59cfm) and 2 bottom fans 

bios showed 43 deg cpu
 28 deg mb

boot i get 70 deg cpu 
36.1 deg mb (hit 37 max and back down to 36)

so i think im good to go thanks very much for your support soon as i test some load on it or anything else crops up ill be sure to be back lets see if i get what others claim with it chilled. forgot why i never had them fans on its like an air plane lol get the new supply hopefully wed should easy power my 750ti 4gbs ddr5

might have to invest in a full loop in future

i did note something i was un happy about on this board was the hd audio sound connector for my front panel its way way way back on the board meaning i have to have a wire all the way from front to back and in nzxt thats a long way. other than that great board thank you

Start time: 2017_03_11 03:09:24
End time: 2017_03_11 05:30:21
Sample time interval(second):1

--------------Boost--------------
Seconds
Core0 6
Core1 6
Core2 6
Core3 6
Core4 6
Core5 6
Core6 7
Core7 5

--------------TMP--------------
Min Max Average
Core0 45.38 70.00 69.70
Core1 45.38 70.00 69.70
Core2 45.38 70.00 69.70
Core3 45.38 70.00 69.70
Core4 45.38 70.00 69.70
Core5 45.38 70.00 69.70
Core6 45.38 70.00 69.70
Core7 45.38 70.00 69.70
TMPIN0 36.18 38.78 37.45

Edited by mgrandy@hotmail.co.u - 11 Mar 2017 at 1:34pm
fx 9370 asrock, fatal1ty 970 performance 3.1, NZXT phantom f-atx, AeroCool Integrator 850W, Corsair Hydro Series H100

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgrandy@hotmail.co.u Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 5:44am
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxgwnhxIByb-cks5WWFWS3VzdEk/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxgwnhxIByb-TXFuZEhrbnh2QkE/view?usp=sharing

dont laugh BOSD files for ya to look at :)
fx 9370 asrock, fatal1ty 970 performance 3.1, NZXT phantom f-atx, AeroCool Integrator 850W, Corsair Hydro Series H100
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 10:15am
Originally posted by mgrandy@hotmail.co.u mgrandy@hotmail.co.u wrote:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxgwnhxIByb-cks5WWFWS3VzdEk/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxgwnhxIByb-TXFuZEhrbnh2QkE/view?usp=sharing

dont laugh BOSD files for ya to look at :)

You getting BSODs just 4 days after proclaiming victory?

I didn't look at the logs but if you need me to I will. I'm confused.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic