ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

AMD FX 6300 overheats....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quagmire94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AMD FX 6300 overheats....
    Posted: 11 Mar 2017 at 8:00am
Ouch so , my amd fx 6300 put a beating on my corsair h100i v2 .
         i was playing overwatch and streaming  at the same time. my temp is normally  around 130 F.
well when the corsair failed During game play my cpu went over 200 F  . now the BIOS loading screen of my Asrock 970M Pro3 has a strange effect when u boot Bios. my computer's motherboard is only around 4 months old too..... some strange reason the motherboard didn't enable thermal throttling  when i first put my pc together so it just got HOT and then turned off  

i guess now im asking , what do i do. will this Visual affect turn into something where my computer will break ? i just need help.
quagmire94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quagmire94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2017 at 8:03am
my whole pc is under 1 year old the corsairs currently in transit for  replacement  .

but my pc was a newegg bundle deal i purchased the asrock 970M Pro3 with my amd fx 6300. 
and a vengence medium tower with a power supply
and a 1060 GTX 6 gb 3 SSD"s and 1 HDD harddrive 
all for like 600$. love clearance deals , but now i risk having to replace my motherboard.

the boot menu of my pc kinda looks like this
 upon all the normal boot ofasrock on the screen it 
has a fishing net of static and  lines flying back and 
fourth

ASROCK
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~
              ~     ~ ~ ~~ ~~ ~ 
               =-=--=-==--===

Edited by quagmire94 - 11 Mar 2017 at 8:06am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2017 at 8:56am
Originally posted by quagmire94 quagmire94 wrote:

i was playing overwatch and streaming  at the same time. my temp is normally  around 130 F.
well when the corsair failed During game play my cpu went over 200 F  . now the BIOS loading screen of my Asrock 970M Pro3 has a strange effect when u boot Bios. my computer's motherboard is only around 4 months old too..... some strange reason the motherboard didn't enable thermal throttling  when i first put my pc together so it just got HOT and then turned off  

i guess now im asking , what do i do. will this Visual affect turn into something where my computer will break ? i just need help.

In what way did your H100i fail?

First you said it over heated when you were gaming, and the PC shut off, because the H100i failed. The temperature went from usually 130F to 200F.

The PC is about four months old.

Then you said the first time you put the PC together, it got hot and then turned off.

That does not make sense, the sequence of events. It sounds like the CPU cooler was not mounted correctly. That is easy to do if you've never mounted an AIO cooler before.

Thermal throttling is enabled by default, unless you disabled it. The option is in the Advanced, CPU Configuration screen, called CPU Thermal Throttle.

Thermal throttling works by reducing the CPU's speed to try to keep the temperature down. If that is not enough to reduce the CPU temperature, the PC is shutdown. That is exactly what you described, so it was working. What else did you expect thermal throttling to do?

If thermal throttling was not working, the CPU would be destroyed if it over heated. BTW, CPU thermal throttling is a feature built into a CPU, it is not provided by a mother board. The BIOS only gives you the option to disable thermal throttling, which is always enabled by default. Your PC seems to still be working, with some apparent problem with the video source.

If your H100i failed, what are you using as a CPU cooler on that PC now, when you run it and see the problem with the startup screen?

There is more to cooling a PC than just the CPU. When using an AIO liquid cooler like an H100i, there is an issue related to cooling the voltage regulators (VRMs) for the CPU.

Standard air cooled CPU coolers circulate air over the heat sink for the CPU VRMs, which is to the left of the CPU socket and to the right of the board's IO panel. Your board's VRM stage is a simple 4 + 1 design, adequate for a 95W TDP processor like yours running at stock speed, but it would normally be used with a CPU cooler that moves air across the VRM heat sink. AIO coolers like an H100i don't do that, obviously.

Where is the H100i radiator mounted in the PC case? Are its fans running in intake or exhaust mode?

Do you have any other fans in the PC case?

Next, your video card creates a lot of heat when you are gaming, and that heat must be removed from the PC case. That depends upon your case fans.

You get the "fishnet" affect on the monitor only when the PC starts? Otherwise the display is fine in Windows?

Since your 1060 is the video source in the PC, why do you think it is the mother board that is causing the problem you see on the display?

What have you done with the PC since this issue started? Did you check the mounting of the H100i? Did you remove it to check the thermal paste imprint for correct mounting? Did you check the mounting of the video card and the cables to the monitor?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quagmire94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2017 at 9:21am
such questions.
VVVVVVV
parsec View Drop Down 
^^^^^^^
 1: no - the corsair failed During gaming. causing it to overheat.

2: Correct it's 4 months old

3:not sure where u read this, this is not true.

4:i did 4 computers before this one. the pump literally locked up on the water cooler during gaming.

5: i took it that thermal throttling would do what ever it took to keep it from overheating.

6:the issue started directly after  the cooler failed. i replaced it with another , so i could keep my server up 

7:im using another h100i v2 from a server computer that is currently not in use.

8:understood  but i do not mess with overclocking.

9: i do have a high velocity brushless fan on the desktop chassis blowing inward, it has a filter to catch dirt.

10: and Top wall blowing Exhaust mode. i dont do intake on things that are heating up.

11:yep 1 fan intake with filters. everything stays a cool 79F in the case. and the power supply fan .''cough'' rooms like 75 F temp.''

12: PNY 1060 6gb card. has 2 massive fans. air is pushed out by the fan in the case. gaming Card hits around 70C but all cards do this. 

13:yep when the boot menu pops up i see static coing across  in sertain areas. and display is ok during gaming. 

14: purchased a  different monitor to eliminate this idea,even switched ports on monitor.

15:Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver Thermal Compound was used on the cpu and other cooler   breif cleaning and anti-static wristband  was used.
        Just checked for incorrect mounting  my pc temp is around 102F i'v been on it for around 3 hours now. looking around in Minecraft and google.  cables from card and card connection to motherboard is solid. 

Edited by quagmire94 - 11 Mar 2017 at 9:22am
mgrandy@hotmail.co.u View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mgrandy@hotmail.co.u Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2017 at 9:44am
does your psu give enough power to all components ? do the lights flicker on and off?
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2017 at 10:54am

8:understood  but i do not mess with overclocking.

It is a requirement, overclocking or not, that a fan be situated and secured to blow over the VRMs when you water cool.

When you remove a "stock" HSF and replace it instead with a water pump there isn't any more airflow that the "stock' HS/F would supply to cool the VRMs.

And the installation instructions from Corsair in the box states a fan must be placed over the VRMs. Or it used to anyways. And for good cause, as I mention above.

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2017 at 10:56am
Where or what app are you reading that temp from?
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2017 at 12:33pm

such questions.
VVVVVVV
parsec View Drop Down 
^^^^^^^

snip!

3:not sure where u read this, this is not true.

snip!

Where did I get the idea that the first time you put the PC together, it got hot and then turned off?

From you first post:

I guess what you actually wrote, but due to the formatting did not come out right, and did not make sense to me, is:

"... some strange reason the motherboard didn't enable thermal throttling  when i first put my pc together so it just got HOT and then turned off  "

My questions are simply standard things that are basic PC building situations. I decided to ask all the questions now, instead of dragging them out over several pages of single questions and answers.

Let's look at your video card, a PNY 1060 6GB:

Sorry to say, no video card vents all its exhaust out the back vent. First we can see the gap around the sides and back of the card, the PC board is visible on the side, and part of the heat sink fins are visible at the back. Then the vent of the double slot height is not even two inches high. Those two 90mm - 100mm fans move more air than can be vented out those small vents. The video card is not sealed air tight to force the air out the back, even if it could all be vented out the back. Video card manufactures like to tell us all the heat vents out the back, but that is obviously not what happens.

The card hits 70C, that's low and great. I bet the fans don't even run at idle, or run very slow. But under stress, it is dumping most of the waste heat into the PC case, not out the back of the card. We wish it went out the back. Feel what is coming out the back of the card at that time.

Radiator location is a difficult thing to determine. One aspect will be perfect, but the other won't in most locations. Your exhaust is out the top which is great, but where is the air intake source?

You have one 120mm fan at the top rear, through a filter. All filter restrict air movement by at least half. It's also pulling air through the vents cut in the PC case, further restricting air flow. Feel the air flow into the case from that fan sometime, it will surprise you how little it is.

Your radiator has two 120mm fans for exhaust. You need to supply those fans with as much air as they exhaust, or they won't be able to exhaust it. You have one intake fan supplying less air than needed by one of the exhaust fans. Where does the other air come from?

From inside the PC case. It's the only other source. What happens during gaming? The video card heats up, and dumps most of its heat into the PC case. That warm air is sucked up into the radiator, and over the VRM heat sink. So you are cooling the radiator with air that is warmer than the air outside of the case.

If you check Corsair's instructions for the AIO coolers, it may surprise you to see they suggest intake mode for the radiator. That of course to to optimize the CPU temperature. It becomes our problem about what to do with that warm air, if we do it that way.

If you can put case fans in the front of your PC case, do it. You need to pump fresh air into that case. If you can put two fans in front, or even three, do it. Also, remove all of the PCIe slot covers from the back of the PC case. You now have vents for the video card heat, or at least more air intake area.

Consider, how can a 95W TDP processor, not over clocked, using a 240mm radiator, over heat during gaming? Why does the pump keep dying, apparently? What is powering the pump, a mother board fan header? Something is just not right here, and I have given you several examples why it isn't right.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2017 at 6:24am
Originally posted by mgrandy@hotmail.co.u mgrandy@hotmail.co.u wrote:

does your psu give enough power to all components ? do the lights flicker on and off?

Yea. I'd like to know the Make, Model, and how old the PSU is that you're using too.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quagmire94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2017 at 7:17am
psu is a thermaltake tr2 600w 4 months old  just like every other component on this pc. it's all brand new.

fan moves lots of air even with the rigged scrubber filter on it.

and my water cooling  on corsair link shows room temp 77F water temp 97F at 30percent rpm on fans.
their's no  issue on air restriction. and the fins in the back are slotted their's no issue on that

as for the cooling issue with graphics cards. the case doesn't go past 110F inside it ''pointing thermal reader at heatsink on motherboard ''. spite it's heat dump .

and as of yesterday i purchased a small fan 40mm fan to attached to heatsink on the motherboard. dont think that will get hot . stock coolers i doubt would cool that heatsink anyways due to the fact the fins on it are sideways  instead of parallel to it .

Edited by quagmire94 - 12 Mar 2017 at 8:02am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic