ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X370 Taichi, Goes Blank; Code '00'

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
sp00ky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sp00ky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X370 Taichi, Goes Blank; Code '00'
    Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 11:29pm
Thanks for the tip. Yes, I found a mess underneath the chipset heat sink. I will post pictures later.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 2:35pm
You will have to take the board out of the case to access the screws that hold
the PCH heatsink. They are located on the back of the board. It's a simple matter
to remove the heatsink and clean the PCH and surrounding board with some
isopropyl alcohol. You will want to clean off any and all residue in the area
under the heatsink.
sp00ky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sp00ky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 7:52am
Any see this issue on a x470 fatality k4?   What is the procedure to remove the chipset heatseat to take a look for mystery grease? I can this be done without remove the board from the case?
lowdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 8:04am
Ok thanks. just took the heatsink off my X370 Fatality Pro Gaming and the moisture/grease was all over the inside of the heatsink around the thermal pad. I removed the thermal pad, cleaned the heatsink with Methylated spirits and put a new thermal pad on....should have avoided the problem by carrying out that procedure. lucky for me the grease had only spread around on the heatsink and hadn't yet made it's way to the motherboard bcb.

Edited by lowdog - 14 May 2018 at 8:04am
X399 Fat Pro Gaming bios 3.10 - TR4 1900X - 64GB G-SKILL TridentZ F4-3200C14Q-64GTZ @ 3133MHz - Vega 64 AIO with EK block - WC Custom loop - 1500W Silverstone PSU - yay
Ivan_83 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ivan_83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 7:06am
Yes, no problems after clean.
lowdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 6:56am
So was this thermal pad oil definitively determined to be the cause of the 00 boot error????
X399 Fat Pro Gaming bios 3.10 - TR4 1900X - 64GB G-SKILL TridentZ F4-3200C14Q-64GTZ @ 3133MHz - Vega 64 AIO with EK block - WC Custom loop - 1500W Silverstone PSU - yay
Ivan_83 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ivan_83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 3:49pm
I think thermal pads may be part-to-part different.
At least one man wrote at russian forum about his Gaming K4 and oil from thermal pad.
I check mine Gaming X and see same oil. (thermal pad was small and does not cover all chipset)
Then I check mine AB350M Pro4 and it was OK: no thermal pad on chipset and I dont see oil on VRM.
At last I disassemble taichi and see many oil at chipset and around chipset. (Taichi my oldest mobo)
I remove oil and run one test with bristol ridge that always reboot on mobo. And get no reboot.
In theory there may be some mechanical defect with taichi, like bad contact some where, that was self fixed while me "play" with mobos cooling system.

I can share photos how I modify cooling system on my mobos.
Oil, small thermal pads, bad radiator form (K4, gaming x) - all on photos.

http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=6155&title=computer-acting-strange-x370-gaming-k4
Very near design mobo (Gaming X...Killer SLI...).

http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=6309&title=new-build-unstability
(But AB350M Pro4 does not have thermal pad on chipset, at least mine)
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 8:32am
Originally posted by Ivan_83 Ivan_83 wrote:

Probably I found cause of issue: it is some kind of oil from thermal pad, it leak on mobo over chipset: http://forum.ixbt.com/post.cgi?id=attach:9:68823:5110:1.jpg

I remove it and looks like mobo works fine now.
Same crap probably with Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4, X370 Killer SLI, Fatal1ty X370 Gaming X and other mobo with near design.

EDITED TO DISPLAY PICTURE. HOT-LINKING ISSUE

So the oil-like substance, that was apparently conductive, and on or contained within the thermal pad from the factory was shorting some contacts on the chipset or components around the chipset? Or do you have another explanation?

That is very unusual and I'm sorry if this was the problem.

Regarding other models of AM4 boards experiencing the same thing, I have an X370 Killer SLI/ac, and have never had a problem such as you did.

Whether the thermal pad was supplied with the chipset heatsink from its factory, or if the thermal pad was added at the ASRock factory, any contamination or defect in the thermal pad would occur randomly, by chance.

Finding this as you did was an amazing thing, the vast majority of people would have never noticed this. I don't know if I would have found it.

Cantine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cantine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 4:24am
Originally posted by Ivan_83 Ivan_83 wrote:

I unscrewed the two screws.
I took off the radiator.
Wiped with an alcoholic napkin.
Wiped with a dry rag.
Installed a new thermal pad, screwed the radiator.

Ok thanks, I will try it.
Ivan_83 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ivan_83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 1:56am
I unscrewed the two screws.
I took off the radiator.
Wiped with an alcoholic napkin.
Wiped with a dry rag.
Installed a new thermal pad, screwed the radiator.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic