ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X370 Taichi, Goes Blank; Code '00'

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hectic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X370 Taichi, Goes Blank; Code '00'
    Posted: 12 Mar 2017 at 9:46am
Finally got all the parts and built up my new AMD build with the ASRock X370 Taichi motherboard, Ryzen 7 1800X processor, Corsair DDR4 3000 RAM and Windows 10 Pro.  I put it together and turned it on yesterday, installed Windows no problem, then proceeded to install some drivers & programs. 

Got up this morning to continue and decided to go ahead and update the BIOS with the latest non beta version (1.5) before I continued to get better functionality CPU/RAM-wise.  I used the Windows method, downloaded and executed the .exe file and it only took a second or 2 (thought that was a bit fast) and it asked to reboot.  I hit yes and let the system reboot, but no update flashing of the bios took place.  It just opened back up into bios showing the same version as before.  I shrugged it off guessing it didn't do anything, but decided to try and OC the CPU just a bit by upping the multiplier a bit.  Saved changes and rebooted.  I booted back to Windows and started to continue w/ updates and things for a few minutes, then the screen went black and the Dr. Debug codes kept flashing '00'.  I looked up the code meaning to check the CPU is connected correctly and to clear the CMOS.  I checked the CPU (removed a little excess thermal paste) and cleared the CMOS back to defaults.  (I cleared the CMOS numerous times)

That update must have done something to screw things up because now anytime I tried to boot into Windows it does, but then goes blank and displays that same error code.  I ran Killdisk in DOS and completely wiped the drive to do a fresher install of Windows than the first time, but when I tried to install again, it loads up the Window files then blanks out, same thing again.  I even tried to upgrade bios using the DOS method, which they REALLY need to provide better instructions on/better way to do it, but I can't get it to upgrade that way either.  I used Rufus to make the bootable USB (using a 16 GB drive) then copied the .exe file to it.  I try booting to it, get some errors, then it goes to the C:\ prompt.  I try to run the .exe file, but no go.

Any ideas/helpful suggestions, or am I just going to have to RMA this thing back to Newegg?  If this is what happens when trying to update bios...I'm nervous to even try at all.  This needs some sort of bios flasher for Windows or especially in the bios!  Having to make a bootable drive and boot to DOS then execute a file to update the bios is a primitive way to do this at best!
mgrandy@hotmail.co.u View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgrandy@hotmail.co.u Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2017 at 11:17am
the reason you use dos is because its far more stable than windows as it uses just the basic functions this lessens the chance of corruptions 

what mdos is

a file directory program without a UI

what you should have on your card is mdos/flasher program/ file to flash

can you locate the flasher program and if you do have the file have you located it throough mdos, using the mdos commands? and does the utility ask you to agree and then show a loading bar

dr debug is pointing at your cpu with the error code so id hazard a guess that your cpu is at fault its cutting out for some reason

you can still access windows right? and see the post and get into bios?

dr debug im guessing is a built in "pci diagnostic card" which i might add is dyam handy!

try lowering the clocks back to default and make sure you have the correct files for upgrading bios and repeat it seems your clocks are unstable for windows to load

if its windows 10 i think it saves your clock settings in the os as well as in the bios i think so when your booting up bios is fine but when it loads your boosted settings during the os load it becomes unstable. from memory to remove clock settings in windows 10 i had to wipe the hdd

but still check in the bios if its doing something it shouldn't and load a fresh copy of windows

wiping the cmos will set the clock to default to prevent overclocking 

heres a link on how to check

https://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/29504-bios-mode-see-if-windows-boot-uefi-legacy-mode.html

if its in UEFI mode it will use your boosted clock setting regardless of what your bios wants

i had the issue of i had saved the clocks from windows 7 @6.3 ghz when i loaded windows 10 it was using my clock settings for windows 7 that i had saved in the bios for future reference regardless of whether they worked or not it didn't even check just up and loaded at 6.3 followed by what your getting bar a code. 

Edited by mgrandy@hotmail.co.u - 12 Mar 2017 at 11:43am
fx 9370 asrock, fatal1ty 970 performance 3.1, NZXT phantom f-atx, AeroCool Integrator 850W, Corsair Hydro Series H100
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2017 at 1:19pm
A UEFI/BIOS update is really a firmware update of a mother board. Any firmware update has some risk associated with it. Firmware is about the lowest level computer code/program that is used, and is not at the level of installing a Windows program, for example. That code is being written to the UEFI/BIOS chip itself, while all other software we use is written to a storage drive. We are also updating the code that is actually used by the UEFI/BIOS chip itself, replacing it with a new copy. Nothing else we install on a PC is similar to this.

Also Ryzen systems are new, and as we are beginning to learn, the release date of the Ryzen processors was very aggressive, relative to the time that mother board manufactures had time to prepare their products for the market.

For whatever reason, history has taught us that the Windows program UEFI/BIOS update method is the one that has the most failures. Did you remember to right click on the update program, and select Run as administrator?

All I can tell you at this point is to try the DOS method again, or try the Windows method again, and be sure to run as administrator, with no other programs running. I would also try running the Windows update method from the C: drive. Sorry to ask, but all the UEFI/BIOS update files are .zip files that must be extracted before use, I assume you did that.

I'm hoping your board gets the Instant Flash update files soon, as that method is the most reliable and is being added to your board's UEFI.

I must also say that if the problem with the screen going blank did not immediately happen when Windows booted, and only happened after you "... continued with updates and things", please think back and consider if anything you may have done contributed to the problem you now have. The Windows UEFI/BIOS update method seems to have not even happened. You were able to use the UEFI/BIOS UI after the failed or never executed update, which does not seem likely if the update went wrong. Your conclusion that it was the cause of your display problem is based upon what, besides your feeling that it is? Can you go into the UEFI UI now, and stay in there indefinitely without the screen going blank?

How did you install drivers after you installed Windows 10? Did you use the Express settings of Windows 10, which allows it to download and install drivers as Microsoft decides is best? Personally with a Windows 10 installation, I configure it to not install drivers and software automatically, and don't even connect to the Internet until after I have installed the basic driver set. Given the recent release of the Ryzen platform, what is Windows update installing that is preferred over the drivers provided by AMD that are provided on your board's download page?

Also, a 00 POST code is a failure of the CPU. That is also seen when the 4/8 pin CPU power cable is not connected to the board. Any chance your PSU is having a problem, or that cable is not connected properly?
Hectic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hectic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2017 at 12:39am
OK, first off, this IS NOT my first PC build and I've never had a problem like this before.  I know you gotta ask questions to try and narrow the problem, but some of those felt downright insulting.

I realize that updating bios is best done DOS, when I said primitive, I meant the bios not having a bios update tool installed in it already (which my version doesn't) and having to make your own boot drive.  My last few motherboards I've used over years had that, why not this one?  

Like I said in my original post, I've already wiped Windows and can't do a new install because everytime I try to reinstall Windows, I boot from the Windows USB drive, it starts to unpack the Windows install files, then goes blank and Dr.D flashes the '00'.  And I also said, I tried the DOS version and I can't get it to work either, though admittedly I've never had to update my bios this way before.  I made a bootable USB using rufus, extracted the the 1 .exe file in there to the drive and then booted from the USB.  It runs through a bit of stuff then gives me the C:\ prompt.  I type in the name of the update file.exe, but comes back invalid command.  I rarely use DOS, forget all the commands/intricacies, so maybe I'm not doing it right?  Better step by step instructions are needed for that!    

Yes, I've been able to keep the bios/settings open indefinitely.  I did that and went to the HW monitor section to watch the temp on the CPU for awhile because I thought it might be the cooler not working and the CPU overheating, but no, never got above 40C.  And even when I wiped the drive, that took 4 hours using Killdisk, that was booted from DOS.  

When I installed Windows 10 Friday night, everything was working fine.  Installed all the hardware drivers from the ones here on ASRock's site.  Continued to install some other programs, rebooted numerous times, never had a problem.  Saturday morning, tried to update the bios, no update happened, booted back into Windows.  After a few minutes (didn't even have a chance to update/install anything) the problem occurred.  Seems like too much of a coincidence to be anything else.  Then you mention Windows 10 updates...I don't know exactly what they may have updated, but I'll turn that off for next time for sure.  Where do you go in the setting to disable updates?  (Still new to 10)

Really I'm thinking of just sending both the CPU and MB back to Newegg just to be sure; get a replacement CPU then get a different MB from another brand.  I mean, if I were to get another one of these, who's to say the same thing wouldn't happen again when I tried to update the bios on that one!? 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgrandy@hotmail.co.u Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2017 at 2:36am
yes you are not even locating the file in dos that is why it is cumming up with invalid command

are you in the right directory?
can you access your drive ?try to cd(change directory) to the drive letter using mdos commands before trying to run the file. 

after you enter the command to load you will/should be presented with a UI of sorts like an old fashioned windows screen from there it will ask you. are you sure you want to flash and have read the terms and conditions etc which drive would you like to flash.

ill do a guide in next few days with screens to follow soon as my psu comes dont want to risk my fatal1ty 970 on a 500w psu im pushing it as is.

any new boards will take time for bios files usually the mdos version is out first

hears a link to a guide on the giga byte http://www.gigabyte.com/webpage/20/images/flashbios_dos.pdf
 skip to section 4 page 10 read the note and go from there.

see the flash utility (UI) im taking about just underneath  

Warning when you get to the UI and if it stops at any point while performing the flash, leave it!!! if it takes 20 mins or 1 hour still leave it. usually when it finds a bad section of memory it will stop for awhile this is normal just wait

it is very rare for a flash to fail unless powered off or loss of power or to much bad memory. been new you wont have this issue. all memory blocks will be checked at the factory before shipping if a certain amount fail they would not release the board. 

let me know how ya get on
"Yes, I've been able to keep the bios/settings open indefinitely"
leads me to believe the problem is with windows 10 pushing clocks or doing something it aint ment too 

Edited by mgrandy@hotmail.co.u - 13 Mar 2017 at 2:58am
fx 9370 asrock, fatal1ty 970 performance 3.1, NZXT phantom f-atx, AeroCool Integrator 850W, Corsair Hydro Series H100
Hectic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hectic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2017 at 3:28am
OK, yeah I was doing the DOS update wrong.  I was in the right directory, I just wasn't actually typing in the name of file to execute properly.  I was typing in the FULL name like you see it in Windows i.e. "X370TC154.exe" when instead I should (and did) type "X370TC1~.exe" like the way it shows it in DOS when I looked at the directory.  It executed, updated the bios no problem.  Thing is, THE PROBLEM IS STILL HAPPENING!!!  Tried to install Windows, as soon as it gives that little progress bar on the bottom saying "Readying Windows Files" (or whatever it says), the screen goes black and I get the flashing '00's!

The bios are updated, everything is back to their defaults in there, everything is plugged in and working properly...I don't get it, I'm at my wits end!  I already set up the RMA's to Newegg and will await a new processor and go for the Gigabyte MB.  Just have to wait a week or 2.  I've used an ASRock MB before and it was pretty solid as I remember it, but this experience has just soured me on trusting them.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgrandy@hotmail.co.u Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2017 at 3:32am
ok because you cannot get in to windows try wiping the hdd on another pc windows 10 is usually a nightmare to remove once put on start from a clean everything and go from there or try entering safe mode usually spamming all f5-10 works although i think its f8 for safe mode it should default to stock windows settings

personally what i done was use a windows 7 disk to wipe the hdd as it uses an older utilty then reinstalled windows 10 may also work for you. this way you no dyam sure windows 10 has had nothing to do with wiping the drive and keeping any of your old settings

here what im getting so far
bios settings run fine along with dos and updated fine so theres no issue with your cpu or board. along with the cpu as it manage to complete the full flash no "00" code right?

so in this case i would remove windows 10 as it seems its still trying to load your UEFI settings for the clocks. make sure they are fully removed

Edited by mgrandy@hotmail.co.u - 13 Mar 2017 at 4:12am
Ivan_83 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ivan_83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 7:36am
I have same problem.
2-6 days uptime and then black screen and boot loop with code: '00'
Video: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/uyj88uj1k9wa8cg/AAClalavS1r8bp_12PB9f-Tka/Crash%20Loop.mp4?dl=0
(by NewRigTime from link 1)

Also other peoples too:

1. http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-3383713/asrock-x370-taichi-amd-ryzen-1800x-post-build-crashing-issues-error-codes.html
(He was on this forum but after RMA taichi and get Fatality pro)

2. https://www.servethehome.com/amd-ryzen-with-ubuntu-here-is-what-you-have-to-do-to-fix-constant-crashes/#comment-460405

3. https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/the-asrock-thread-support-feedback-etc.18760683/page-26#post-30785355

Also '00' code happen on: ASRock X370 GAMING k4
1. https://www.hardwareluxx.de/community/f139/amd-ryzen-zen-summit-ridge-socket-am4-oc-thread-1159257-28.html#post25475030

2. https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fanago.2ch.sc%2Ftest%2Fread.cgi%2Fjisaku%2F1489712334%2F
(use find, sorry no post direct link)

May be this connected some how with taichi.

=====================================

First I update to 1.60 from FreeDOS.
2.00, 2.20, 2.30 from bios flash tool - not help.

My config and alternate h/w that I try to use to fix '00' boot loop:
CPU: 1700X (no overclock, try 1.2, 1,35 V, load line calibration 3)
MOBO: x370 taichi with removed wifi/Bluetooth adapter (radio in bios on/off - no affect to '00')
MEM: Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3466C16 (2x8 Gb) and Samsung
M378A2K43BB1-CPB (1x16 Gb)
(try 1x8 Gb @ 2133 1.35V,
try 1x16 Gb @ 2133 1.35V, memtest from boot flash show that all modules OK, now 2+1=32Gb @ 1,35v 16-18-18-18-36)
PSU: corsair RM550x / FSP 600-80GLN
VIDEO: Asus GT610 / Asus GT730 / Radeon HD6450

HDD: ssd SP S60 (60 GB) / INTEL SSDSC2BW120H6 120 Gb + HDD SAMSUNG HD204UI 2Tb (sata2, never try without it)
ODD: ASUS DRW-1814BLT 1.14, it connected but not used
(sata1, never try without it)
3,5 card reader USB 3.0 SEMA (Samsung)
(never try without it)
OS: FreeBSD 11 x64, but this not relevant, users have same problem with linux and windows.

New H/W that works only with X370 taichi:
- Samsung M378A2K43BB1-CPB
-
corsair RM550x
-
Asus GT730
INTEL SSDSC2BW120H6 120 Gb

1700X and Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3466C16 works before with Gigabyte gamming 3 but there was VRM overheat problem and I cant be 100% sure that CPU and mem OK, because no tests with long uptimes done.

I try load defaults, tune various bios settings - wont help.
Try on/off: iommu, svm, c6, cool-n-quiet.....
Try Vsoc 1.0V and SOC load line calibration = 3...

What I can do/try before RMA?
(I have two weeks+- to be your tester)

Please help!

Edited by Ivan_83 - 22 May 2017 at 7:47am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 9:53am
Originally posted by Ivan_83 Ivan_83 wrote:

I have same problem.
Video: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/uyj88uj1k9wa8cg/AAClalavS1r8bp_12PB9f-Tka/Crash%20Loop.mp4?dl=0
(by NewRigTime from link 1)

Also other peoples too:

1. http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-3383713/asrock-x370-taichi-amd-ryzen-1800x-post-build-crashing-issues-error-codes.html
(He was on this forum but after RMA taichi and get Fatality pro)

2. https://www.servethehome.com/amd-ryzen-with-ubuntu-here-is-what-you-have-to-do-to-fix-constant-crashes/#comment-460405

3. https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/the-asrock-thread-support-feedback-etc.18760683/page-26#post-30785355

Also '00' code happen on: ASRock X370 GAMING k4
1. https://www.hardwareluxx.de/community/f139/amd-ryzen-zen-summit-ridge-socket-am4-oc-thread-1159257-28.html#post25475030

2. https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fanago.2ch.sc%2Ftest%2Fread.cgi%2Fjisaku%2F1489712334%2F
(use find, sorry no post direct link)

May be this connected some how with taichi.

=====================================

My config and alternate h/w that I try to use to fix '00' boot loop:
CPU: 1700X (no overclock, try 1.2, 1,35 V, load line calibration 3)

MOBO: x370 taichi with removed wifi/Bluetooth adapter (radio in bios on/off - no affect to '00')
MEM: Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3466C16 (2x8 Gb) and Samsung
M378A2K43BB1-CPB (1x16 Gb)
(try 1x8 Gb @ 2133 1.35V,
try 1x16 Gb @ 2133 1.35V, memtest from boot flash show that all modules OK, now 2+1=32Gb @ 1,35v 16-18-18-18-36)
PSU: corsair RM550x / FSP 600-80GLN
VIDEO: Asus GT610 / Asus GT730 / Radeon HD6450

HDD: ssd SP S60 (60 GB) / INTEL SSDSC2BW120H6 120 Gb + HDD SAMSUNG HD204UI 2Tb (sata2, never try without it)
ODD: ASUS DRW-1814BLT 1.14, it connected but not used
(sata1, never try without it)
3,5 card reader USB 3.0 SEMA (Samsung)
(never try without it)
OS: FreeBSD 11 x64, but this not relevant, users have same problem with linux and windows.

New H/W that works only with X370 taichi:
- Samsung M378A2K43BB1-CPB
-
corsair RM550x
-
Asus GT730
INTEL SSDSC2BW120H6 120 Gb

1700X and Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3466C16 works before with Gigabyte gamming 3 but there was VRM overheat problem and I cant be 100% sure that CPU and mem OK, because no tests with long uptimes done.

I try load defaults, tune various bios settings - wont help.
Try on/off: iommu, svm, c6, cool-n-quiet.....
Try Vsoc 1.0V and SOC load line calibration = 3...

What I can do/try before RMA?
(I have two weeks+- to be your tester)

Please help!

Your description is very confusing, I don't know what the current status of the PC is at all.

First you said this:

Dr Debug code of "00" means a bad CPU. The board won't POST or do anything, because the CPU is not working for some reason, or is dead.

That means the PC will not start at all, you cannot get into the UEFI/BIOS, nothing on the screen at all, so the PC cannot be used.

Next you said:

So after you had the "00" POST code and a black screen dead PC, you were able to start the PC and boot into a DOS bootable USB flash drive to update to 1.60? You said you used Instant Flash to try three UEFI/BIOS versions? How can you do that if you get a "00" POST code and the PC does not work at all? Sorry I don't understand how this is possible.

After this, you said you tried alternate hardware to try to fix the "00" problem, that you then listed. That is different hardware, a new 1700X, new memory, new mother board?

This alternate hardware has the same "00" problem? I'm sorry but I don't understand what you did, or if you used new hardware or something else.

Finally you said:

You are not sure if the CPU and memory you used in a Gigabyte board was not damaged before you put it in the X370 Taichi board.

With the possibility of the CPU or memory being damaged on the old board, and since I do not understand the sequence of events of what you did with the X370 Taichi board, I can't suggest anything.

Is the "00" POST code the only code you get on the Dr Debug display? Please describe what happened since you first used the Taichi board with the CPU and memory from the other Ryzen build. Please try to make your description better, I described what I don't understand in my comments above.

Ivan_83 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ivan_83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 4:01pm
1. After power on PC start OK.
Then it works OK 2-6 days.
Then screen goes black and Dr.Debug show '00'.
If I press reset button or power off-on PSU - PC start OK and I continue work next 2-6 days.

2. '00' code does not happen after power on or reset button, so system start/work OK and I can update BIOS, boot to OS...etc...
I have no alternative CPU and MOBO for AM4. (for next few weeks)
All (at most) other hardware have alternative that I try.

3. Samsung memory come after Gigabyte mobo RMA.
I think CPU is OK, because:
- CPU start and work OK up to 2-6 days (even if I run prime95 (mprime) few hours)
- there is other peoples with x370 taichi with same problem
- Gigabyte only overheat VRM and stop work until temperature goes normal, this should not damage CPU, IMHO.

======
I build test machine with 1700X, Corsair mem and gigabyte mobo.
Gigabyte mobo overheat in test time.
I RMA gigabyte mobo and get taichi mobo.
I test taichi for overheat - test passed, no other issues found (but I do not test long uptime) and then I move 1700x, taichi and Corsair mem to my work system (replace 775 mobo+CPU+ddr3 that work OK while 5+ years).
All was OK next few days then screen goes black and I see '00' error code.
I press reset and system rebooted, I continue work...
Samsung memory come, I remove Corsair and try work only with samsung - not help with '00'.
I try replace PSU, video card, tune bios - not help.
Intel SSD come and replace SP S60 SSD.
I continue playing with bios settings...without success.
So I continue press reset every 2-6 days to continue.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic