ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z270 K6 BIOS Setting for Watercooler

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 10:25pm
Frankly, I think you are not in any danger. Spikes to 70C are not a problem while gaming. Your CPU will start to throttle itself due to high temperature at 100C. That is the Intel spec for your CPU.

Your CPU cooler is fine for stock CPU speeds, we are just saying it is not so great that it will never let your CPU go above 70C. Very, very few CPU coolers can do that, your CPU temperature is not crazy high for gaming, but can be improved. It seems your VCore voltage is not terrible either, normal for stock BIOS settings. You could reduce the VCore some by changing BIOS settings, but that won't make a night and day difference in CPU temperature.

CPU usage in games will be different depending upon the game, they are all different in that way, completely normal. Plus when we monitor CPU usage with a program, the program takes a reading maybe once every three to five seconds. One second to a CPU is a long time, compared to our brains. Our "picture" of CPU usage is not accurate.

I agree with Xaltar that it seems your case fan configuration is not right. We can try to pull all the hot air out of a PC case (mostly caused by the video card at high loads, during gaming), but if there is no easy way for cool air to get into the PC case, the fans are not making a difference. It's like having a fan in your window blowing air out of the house, with all the other windows closed. Where is air coming into your PC case?

It seems your CPU cooler's fan is exhausting air across the radiator out the top rear of the case. That is fine, but think of the fan exhausting air out the top of the PC case. Those fans are fairly close to each other, and fight each other for air. The two front exhaust fans are doing the same thing to a lesser degree, and you get what is called negative pressure inside the PC case. The pressure difference is actually small, but the result is the fans are fighting that slight vacuum, trying to pull air into the case.

You should change the front fans to intake air into the PC case, just turn them around. What speed are all the case fans at, full speed? Normally PC case fans are made to be quiet, which means they don't move much air. The fans used by CPU coolers like yours are usually high speed fans, so we get an unbalanced exhaust vs intake, even when the front case fans are blowing into the case.

PC cooling is not as simple as just putting fans in a PC case. Fans must be configured correctly.
Kanty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kanty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 10:50pm
Also, I have seen 1.36 volts at 4.5GHZ....is that normal? I'm assuming it is since everything is practically new.
Kanty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kanty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 10:52pm
[URL=][/URL][URL=][/URL][URL=][/URL]I have a fan controller set to auto at about 1000 RPMs...would it be difficult to switch the fans around?

And yeah I never had the intention to Overclock until I got more comfortable with the idea of messing around with a new cooler :)

Also it seems like the max speed of the Water Cooler fan is about 1500 RPMS

Everything else is behaving wonderfully, the GPU maxes out at 72c with 50% fan speed which I think is excellent.

Edited by Kanty - 15 Mar 2017 at 10:55pm
Kanty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kanty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 2:32am
Hey guys, little more info....

Okay I played GRW for about 45 minutes and tracked temps and usage..they are as follows
This is without V Sync on

Max core frequency 4.5ghz
Core voltage 1.35 while playing

Package temp maximum 75c
Package temp average 58c

CPU utilization

Recent Maximum 97%
Recent average 60%

My fan controller says the ambient temp is 42.5c

Edited by Kanty - 16 Mar 2017 at 2:50am
clubfoot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clubfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 4:22am
Is the AIO pump connected to the motherboard or a power supply connector? Direct power supply connection is best as the motherboard connection may vary output.

What GPU are you using?

Your 4.5GHz overclock stats seem OK but I'm curious as to what the temps are under a full cpu load while running IETU or better Realbench 2.44 stress test as your ambient temps of 42.5c and package temps of 75c are unexpected.

And definitely turn your fans around as suggested.
Kanty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kanty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 4:49am
[URL=][/URL]
Originally posted by clubfoot clubfoot wrote:

[URL=][/URL]Is the AIO pump connected to the motherboard or a power supply connector? Direct power supply connection is best as the motherboard connection may vary output.

What GPU are you using?

Your 4.5GHz overclock stats seem OK but I'm curious as to what the temps are under a full cpu load while running IETU or better Realbench 2.44 stress test as your ambient temps of 42.5c and package temps of 75c are unexpected.

And definitely turn your fans around as suggested.

Hey there, also isn't 1.36 core voltage kind of high for stock? I'm thinking that's where my problem is. And how do I undervolt on the AsRock z270 K6

Edited by Kanty - 16 Mar 2017 at 4:50am
clubfoot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clubfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 5:11am
I don't have a Z270 board but on my system using HWiNFO defaults are:
cpu 4.0GHz @ 1.295 idle and 1.325 under 100% load (Realbench 2.44)
ambient temp 23c, cpu 28c idle and 61c max load.

To answer your question 1.36 at 4.5GHz is not bad at all,...depending on 100% load temps with your H50. The H50 is stretching the cooling capabilities for an overclocked i7700k IMO.
Kanty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kanty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 5:22am
Originally posted by clubfoot clubfoot wrote:

I don't have a Z270 board but on my system using HWiNFO defaults are:
cpu 4.0GHz @ 1.295 idle and 1.325 under 100% load (Realbench 2.44)
ambient temp 23c, cpu 28c idle and 61c max load.

To answer your question 1.36 at 4.5GHz is not bad at all,...depending on 100% load temps with your H50. The H50 is stretching the cooling capabilities for an overclocked i7700k IMO.

Okay, got ya...I turned off turbo boost and results seem to be better...I will post them in detail soon.
Kanty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kanty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 5:27am
Also, I'm not Overclocking...this is how the computer came...i just started realizing the CPU temps being a bit high. I knew this cooler wouldn't be an effective cooler for OCing but I certainly figured it would cool a non OC 7700k until I could afford a better coolers

Edited by Kanty - 16 Mar 2017 at 5:29am
clubfoot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clubfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 5:31am
The vcore idle is really low at .784v and spikes up to 1.344v. Your "turbo" setting must be a tested default o/c at 4.5GHz which most decent i7700k cpus can run comfortably. If your 100% load temps hover around 80ish you're good to go.

Switch those fans around as recommended :)

What video card are you using?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>
  Share Topic