ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z270 K6 BIOS Setting for Watercooler

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kanty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z270 K6 BIOS Setting for Watercooler
    Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 11:16am
Hey everyone, I've been having spikes up to 70c for a i7 7700k non OC turbo 4.5 GHZ on some games...namely Battlefied 1 and Ghost Recon Wildlands. I was just wdonering about the fan settings in the BIOS...at the moment it's set at full fan speed, but there's a mode called performance mode that I was curious if it'd help my temps. Also curious if spikes up to 70c with a Asetek 550LC seem normal? Idle temps are perfectly fine at around 30c. Thanks guys!
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by Kanty Kanty wrote:

Hey everyone, I've been having spikes up to 70c for a i7 7700k non OC turbo 4.5 GHZ on some games...namely Battlefied 1 and Ghost Recon Wildlands. I was just wdonering about the fan settings in the BIOS...at the moment it's set at full fan speed, but there's a mode called performance mode that I was curious if it'd help my temps. Also curious if spikes up to 70c with a Asetek 550LC seem normal? Idle temps are perfectly fine at around 30c. Thanks guys!

A single fan, 120mm size radiator, AIO liquid cooler is not an exceptional CPU cooler, sorry to say. But short term temperature spikes will happen with any CPU cooler, even full custom liquid configurations.

If your cooler's fan is running at the Full Speed setting, which means the fan is at its full speed (100%) all the time, regardless of the CPU temperature, what could possibly be better for cooling than that? You are at the maximum potential of your CPU cooler, assuming it is pulling air in from outside the PC case.

The performance mode setting is simply set to about 70% of the maximum speed up to some point, maybe 50C or 60C, and then up to 100% above that.

How is you cooler's pump connected to power in that PC? Is the pump running at full speed all the time?

Spikes up to 70C while gaming does not sound unusual for an i7-7700K. But a lot of important information is missing. Such as, what is the CPU usage when it reaches 70C, and what is the CPU's VCore voltage when that happens?

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 1:52pm
This Asetek 550LC is the same as a Corsair H50, which Asetek OEMed for Corsair.

I'm with parsec here. The 550LC/H50 IMO falls short for cooling an i7-7700K.

But, let's hear what voltages and usage it's being put through.

I'm thinking you're hitting the thermal limit/capability of the 550LC/H50 when those 70C spikes occur.

Kanty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kanty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 2:22pm
Okay I will fill you guys in, usage varies between 60-90% when It gets to those temps on these particular games...I thought the cooler was okay given that I'm not Overclocking in any way..of note though, I did a 2 hour stress test on the intel extreme tuning utility and the CPU never went over 69c if that's a useful info bit. I apologize for not being more informative....will I be okay rolling with this cooler for awhile even with those semi high temps? The higher temps mostly occur in GRW and BF1...I'll have to test others as well. And when I say spikes to 70c I mean like literal half second spikes to 70c and than it will quickly drop to 58-62c work it's way up to 65c and eventually more so occasionally reach 70c.
Kanty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kanty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 2:24pm
I'm not 100% sure of the voltage, I'd have to track that.
Kanty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kanty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 2:25pm
Also, the stress test had it pulling 1.32 Volts and 4.5GHZ and it never went above 69c within the two hour period.
Kanty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kanty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 2:27pm
Asetek 550LC 120mm Liquid Cooling CPU Cooler (Dual
(Push-Pull) Standard 120MM Fans. That's the cooler, thanks again.
Kanty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kanty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 2:42pm
So far on BF1 after about 15 minutes or so I'm getting roughly 70 percent CPU usage while on about 60-67c temps
Kanty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kanty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 2:57pm
Just got a spike to 70c and it was in a BF1 menu lobby, the usage spiked to 98% when it reached 70c though.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 3:04pm
Ok, this is important, how is your radiator set up? Is it drawing cool air from outside the case or operating as an extractor fan?

I am guessing you have it blowing air out of the case which means as the case temps ramp up while gaming it is pushing warmer air through the rad. This explains higher temps at lower utilization than when stress testing which only effects the CPU and VRMs. 

What case are you using and what is your fan setup in there?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
  Share Topic