FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

7700k + z170 gaming k6 issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 8:53pm
What is the part number of the memory kit you have, and what slots are they in now?

The Cryorg, it came with pre-applied thermal paste?
Mrobscura View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrobscura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 3:30pm
I've since reinstalled windows, and I'm still having issues. I haven't really gotten a chance to test games yet, but while the cpu still benchmarks where it should(actually better somehow) and passes stress tests, for some reason firefox is now causing insane temp spikes and lagging and my fans seems to be ramping up at random as well.

I only have a couple of days to return the cpu, but I don't want to do that just to find out that it was a software issue, which it seems, since a defective cpu is pretty rare, and I'm still not sure it would benchmark and pass all tests if there was something wrong with it. Maybe I should try the 7.2 bios again?

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 2:03pm
Awesome, let us know how it turns out.

Its easy to forget that the Kaby Lake platform is still very new given Ryzen and it's less than ideal launch. 
Mrobscura View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrobscura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 1:54pm
after flashing the beta bios things seem to be better. there still seems to be some issues but i dont think they are as prevalent as they were. also benchmarks still all seem to be in line with where this cpu should be performing so i think it might be a software issue. i am going to try reinstalling windows and see what happens.

Edited by Mrobscura - 21 Mar 2017 at 1:54pm
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 6:27pm
It depends on the game but yes, at a certain point when most games load the CPU needs to prep a lot of engine related goodness.
Mrobscura View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrobscura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 4:43pm
Yeah, I've uninstalled the amd drivers with ddu and reinstalled them. Weird thing, even going back to the 6600k, my 390 got worse performance with the newer drivers. And there is a known issue with amds new relive drivers and the 390 series.

Anyway, I don't have any nvida drivers on my machine, but I was unaware of the beta bios, I'll give that a try. Thanks. Oh, one more thing, is it normal for cpu usage to sky rocket as games load? I never paid attention until now, so I'm not sure.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 4:34pm
There are so many possible causes and I have never run into this issue before which makes things tricky to diagnose. That said, if the CPU is working correctly without the AMD drivers then it is most likely software/driver related. I don't see how the BIOS could be causing an issue with the AMD drivers + CPU unless the drivers are forcing a resource allocation that conflicts with the CPU somehow.

Have you used DDU (Display driver uninstaller) on the system? If not I would do that then download and install the very latest AMD drivers for your GPU. You may also want to uninstall intel and nvidia drivers with DDU while you are at it (even if they were never installed). While this would all be taken care of with a fresh install, that is a lot of effort to go to only to have the same issue. If these more simple steps fail then try a clean install. 

You could also try the Beta BIOS for your board, it states improved compatibility. It is older than the 7.2 version but may be more stable for you. Worth a shot.
Mrobscura View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrobscura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 4:11pm
The tight loop test still shows high(250us) latency with hyperthreading disabled(but like I said, if i uninstall my amd drivers, that's no longer the case).

Anyway, would a cpu benchmark in line and pass stress tests and Intel's diagnostic tool if it was defective? This is actually the 2nd 7700k I've tried because the first one was getting way to hot and I know intel was having quality control issues with the tim and attaching the heat spreader.

You know, when I first built the rig with the 6600k a year ago, I had similar issues at the beginning and did a bunch of troubleshooting, but I don't know what corrected them. I did reinstall windows once and there where numerous bio updates released since my board was manufactured(it shipped with the first public bios) so I updated the bios as well. Could it be an issue with asrocks current gaming k6 bios? If that's a possibility I'm thinking about just going with a 6700k and rolling back the bios.

Edited by Mrobscura - 20 Mar 2017 at 4:24pm
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 3:46pm
That behavior is very odd. I would try a fresh OS install, it could be causing the issues. I never encountered issues like this on my Z170 Pro4s when swapping between the 6600k and 7600k but the 7600k doesn't have hyperthreading. 

Before you do a fresh install, disable hyperthreading in the UEFI and see if the system works normally (as it did with the 6600k). If it does then go ahead and do a fresh windows install, that would mean windows is the likely culprit. If it still causes issues send back the CPU, it could be defective. As I said, I had no issues swapping between the 6600k and the 7600k in my Pro4s and that was done multiple times for a review I was working on. The Z170 Gaming K6 should not behave any differently. If the 6600k worked flawlessly then the 7700k should too, there is no compatibility issue with Kaby Lake and 100 series boards. Skylake and Kaby Lake are almost identical architecturally with the only differences being some optimization and decoding features added to Kaby Lake, nothing that would cause incompatibility.
Mrobscura View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrobscura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 3:20pm
[URL=][/URL]Ok, I've done what you have suggested. I'll use the pc a bit and see what happens.

Oh, one thing I have noticed as I said was a high latency. When running the basic latencymon test everything seems fine except for the hard page faults, but from what I've read those aren't an issue. But when running the in depth tight loop test. Numerous cores show a latency in the red. With realtek audio manager enabled core one was hitting 900 something and other where in the 500s. With it disabled I'm still getting numerous cores in the red with most around 150 and the highest at 200. I also noticed if I use the igpu with my amd drivers uninstalled and realtek disabled all of the cores stay in the teens. Admittedly I'm not too sure what all that means but its just something I've come across in my effort to troubleshoot. Actually there's one other thing as well, since the upgrade my mouse occasional scrolls slightly on it's own, which it did not do until the 7700k was installed. I don't know if it's related, but...

Edit:Already a quick update. Things still seem to be off, when I click on something on the desktop in lags. As I've said all the hardware seems to be performing as it should be individually when stress tested or benchmarked. So I really don't know what's going on. Could a fresh windows install help? This sucks since I only have a few days left to return the 7700k but I'd like to get it working correctly and keep it.

Edited by Mrobscura - 20 Mar 2017 at 3:33pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic