ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

AB350 Cool & Quiet breaks overclock

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
mkmcgregor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkmcgregor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 9:39am
F.Y.I. - Once 1.44 is installed, do not use the Internet Flash option in BIOS. It will state, download, and install a 1.50 version which does work and states 1.50 is installed after the restart; however, that version breaks everything that 1.44 fixed that is listed above. Not sure if it provides anything new or useful. I think that it's just an older beta prior to 1.44 despite stating 1.50.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkmcgregor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 9:28am
1.44 BIOS version just released today corrects Cool 'n' Quiet clock down when manually clocking. I don't think that they fixed it meaning that it won't down clock CPU, voltage does drop, but it no longer prevents a max of 2.7GHz regardless of the manual overclock when the voltage was set over 1.3v. 

Also corrected is the voltage reading in CPU-Z. Unclear if it's correct but it's closer than previous numbers. Setting 1.325 in the BIOS shows 1.275 under full load at 3.79GHz. That is probably the correct value, but only future testing will prove that. HWInfo now shows double that value  which I think that I remember was also true for the some ASUS boards. Odd, but consistent.

Grats on the 4Ghz+. I can't get stable beyond 3.8. Please Run AIDA64 stress, first three options checked, for at least 20 minutes. Are you running water, you have to be, and which AIO water cooler are you using? And on what motherboard? 

Edited by mkmcgregor - 24 Mar 2017 at 9:48am
potyec View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote potyec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 2:36pm
After I turned off the cool n quiet . I  could OC without issues .

Im running at 4Ghz  + 1.432v   60-65C  under full load

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkmcgregor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 10:16am
I agree with everything you said. I never said it should be perfect, but rather am listing some of the current short comings for awareness and looking for answers from the community that already exist.
There are a lot of people who are treating this as just an alternative to current Intel. It is certainly, but as you mention there are and will be growing pains.
As far as HEDT, don't know if 6600K is considered part of the HEDT since it is unlocked, but my 6600K running a 4.5 uses SpeedStep without issue currently. It's true that Ryzen is very new, but that will only hold for so long. One of the first things, since overclocking was mentioned for every Ryzen, would be tools to not just set an overclock but monitor said overclock. Yes it sees temps, hopefully correctly, but not current voltage or voltage changes that I've found in the tool. Also, setting via Ryzen Master may or may not be better, but I don't plan to activate a profile every boot; even in the short term. I did not like doing that for GPUs, and I doubt I'll start with CPUs ... IMO :) Fortunately, current BIOS settings on AB350 Pro4 works fine; other than AMD Cool 'n' Quiet. I can live without that feature. I'll keep the 3.8Ghz @1.325V with idle temps staying in the low 30s on a "free" 95TDP air cooler; water pending.

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 9:43am
A Ryzen 1800X review I read that used a Gigabyte Aorus mother board said the Ryzen Master software worked better for over clocking than that board's UEFI/BIOS, and recommended the software for over clocking.

I've had a similar experience with Intel XTU program, but of course it it dismissed by most over clockers.

Intel non-HEDT processors will SpeedStep down to 800MHz. Any OC is not affected by SpeedStep. Intel C State power saving options are known to cause some instability in over clocks, more so on the earlier systems.

Are all the programs like CPU-Z, etc, supposed to be Ryzen compatible at this time? I recall it took CPU-Z a while to get the reporting of Haswell processors right, for example.

Ryzen is the first truly new PC platform that we've seen in quite a while. Intel's processor updates are nothing compared to this. I can't find the Ryzen Turbo bins for multiple cores for the various models, is it really just on one core?

Welcome to truly early adopter land! Pinch
potyec View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote potyec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 7:15am
I pushed up with Ryzen Masters software with no isse to 3.9Ghz + 1.375v    ->  4Ghz on 1.425v  was crashing a bit but If we can adjust later voltages It will work easly .

Depends on your money ..  If you buy x370 just because of SLI ans some power phases more ( don`t even need because looks like B350 enough for OC)

The only real worth advantage can be the "little bit more advanced" BIOS   UEFI  . x370 boards has more advanced options .. ( im not sure its worth it )

I read Newegg reviews about particular Motherboards and I find ASRock Support answers to which was like this :
"The OC Tweaker option is related to hardware specification.
If hardware is available, we could add the option inside.
So the high-end model will have more setting in OC Tweaker.
We will do the check for it and make sure which else option(like CPU voltage,?? we could add into the BIOS.  "  -> So this means they want you to buy the more expensive boards :)  but I think B350 good enough .  There is 100$ difference between AB350 and x370 Killer  so you can spend that difference on something else on your pc .

I hope it helped Wink

I recommend for you to check newegg reviews  Manufacturers replying there many times so handy infos hidden there
potyec View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote potyec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 7:05am
Update  :  I tested the AMD RYZEN MASTER  software and that software OC-ed my cpu properly without much issue ( few restarts ) .

So must be problem that BIOS version not fully ready yet .

Nocturnal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nocturnal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 2:56am
Originally posted by mkmcgregor mkmcgregor wrote:

Depends on you need until this is resolved.

Do you think it will be resolved? Now I'm only choosing motherboard, so looking for the most non problemSmile mobo
potyec View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote potyec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 2:11am
Because BIOS is a bit lack of options I will try  Ryzen Master UI  for  OC within Windows .

I will let you know how I go..

Btw. do you know what`s this option ?   "common Zen options"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkmcgregor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 1:58am
Thanks for the confirmation and sorry that you have the same problem. The only work around is to shut off Cool & Quiet OR leave Auto for core clocking and loose a little less performance; i.e. it will clock at 3.0 with 3.2 boost under "auto". Depends on you need until this is resolved. When running at 3.7 or 3.8 all the time, my air cooled CPU appears to be just under 40C. That's hardly a problem for 24/7. I just prefer that it clock to the lowest setting when nothing needs to run and also prefer to not have options that are obviously broken :)

Also, check Task Manager and the Performance tab. You'll see Maximum Clock on right and Actual Clock on left. The graphs of the thread % also paints and odd 80% picture.

Edited by mkmcgregor - 21 Mar 2017 at 2:00am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic