ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Trouble running XMP profile

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnSlay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trouble running XMP profile
    Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 11:42am
Hi, I've purchased the ASRock AB350 PRO4 and from what it's advertising it says it can overclock rams up to 3200mhz, But I can't seem to run my ram's XMP profile which is at 3000 (2993~) or even overclock it all. I'm running the BIOS version v1.44. the ram I'm using is CMK16GX4M2B3000C15. Anyone else having trouble overclocking their rams with this motherboard, if not could you let me know what settings you have enabled/disabled, Thanks.
Nejaa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nejaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 12:15pm
I have the X370 Fatal1ty Gaming Pro and have not been able to get 3200MHz to work on my RAM.

I have the G.Skill 32GB 2400MHz kit (F4-2400C15D-32GFXR).  Best I've been able to manage is 2933MHz.  With the latest BIOS (1.6) for my board, I was able to tighten my timings.  18-17-17-43 at 1.35v.

I've seen some people get higher speeds by increasing the PCIe clock, but that creates issues for your video card and M.2.  I couldn't make it work.

I hope that helps.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by JohnSlay JohnSlay wrote:

Hi, I've purchased the ASRock AB350 PRO4 and from what it's advertising it says it can overclock rams up to 3200mhz, But I can't seem to run my ram's XMP profile which is at 3000 (2993~) or even overclock it all. I'm running the BIOS version v1.44. the ram I'm using is CMK16GX4M2B3000C15. Anyone else having trouble overclocking their rams with this motherboard, if not could you let me know what settings you have enabled/disabled, Thanks.

First, you need to update to the latest UEFI version, 2.20, just released. Question for you, do you have the Instant Flash UEFI update option available in the Tools screen? If you do, I highly recommend you use the Instant Flash method to update your UEFI, rather than the Windows update method.

Please read the instruction for Instant Flash, by clicking on the blue BIOS link on the UEFI download page. If you have any questions about the procedure, please ask:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/AB350%20Pro4/index.asp#BIOS

I can only go by your board's manual, which frankly does not include anything about options for configuring memory. Normally in the UEFI, in the OC Tweaker screen there is an entry for the DRAM Configuration screen, that allows you to configure the memory's speed and timings. I'm assuming the 2.20 UEFI version will have added that screen by now. Please let us know if you have that screen available after updating to the 2.20 version, or if you have that screen now with the 1.44 version UEFI.

If you do get the DRAM Configuration screen, you can try enabling the XMP profile. Your memory is included in your board's Memory QVL, but if you check Corsair's specs for this memory, you'll see it was designed for use with Intel X99 and the 100 series chipset boards:

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/vengeance-lpx-16gb-2x8gb-ddr4-dram-3000mhz-c15-memory-kit-black-cmk16gx4m2b3000c15

My point is the XMP profile may not work for a Ryzen system. Given what we so far know about the Ryzen memory controller, there are some differences between it and the Intel memory controllers. For example, the Ryzen memory controller does not support a 3000 speed setting. It does support 2933, which must be used instead of 3000. That speed will need to be set manually. I suggest setting the memory speed to 2933, set the DRAM Voltage to 1.35V, and have all of the other memory settings set to Auto. You could try a lower memory speed at first, say 2400 or 2667, to see if the board will POST at that speed.
JohnSlay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnSlay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 2:34am
Just a little update, I have managed to successfully load my xmp profile using the newest bios version 2.20. In case others that have similar issue to mine.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 2:46am
Originally posted by Nejaa Nejaa wrote:

I've seen some people get higher speeds by increasing the PCIe clock, but that creates issues for your video card and M.2.  I couldn't make it work.

And it's a good thing you couldn't either. Just where are you reading folks stupidly and unknowingly adjusting the PCIe Clock?

Links! Please!
Trender View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 2:49am
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Originally posted by JohnSlay JohnSlay wrote:

First, you need to update to the latest UEFI version, 2.20, just released. Question for you, do you have the Instant Flash UEFI update option available in the Tools screen? If you do, I highly recommend you use the Instant Flash method to update your UEFI, rather than the Windows update method.

Please read the instruction for Instant Flash, by clicking on the blue BIOS link on the UEFI download page. If you have any questions about the procedure, please ask:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/AB350%20Pro4/index.asp#BIOS

I can only go by your board's manual, which frankly does not include anything about options for configuring memory. Normally in the UEFI, in the OC Tweaker screen there is an entry for the DRAM Configuration screen, that allows you to configure the memory's speed and timings. I'm assuming the 2.20 UEFI version will have added that screen by now. Please let us know if you have that screen available after updating to the 2.20 version, or if you have that screen now with the 1.44 version UEFI.

If you do get the DRAM Configuration screen, you can try enabling the XMP profile. Your memory is included in your board's Memory QVL, but if you check Corsair's specs for this memory, you'll see it was designed for use with Intel X99 and the 100 series chipset boards:

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/vengeance-lpx-16gb-2x8gb-ddr4-dram-3000mhz-c15-memory-kit-black-cmk16gx4m2b3000c15

My point is the XMP profile may not work for a Ryzen system. Given what we so far know about the Ryzen memory controller, there are some differences between it and the Intel memory controllers. For example, the Ryzen memory controller does not support a 3000 speed setting. It does support 2933, which must be used instead of 3000. That speed will need to be set manually. I suggest setting the memory speed to 2933, set the DRAM Voltage to 1.35V, and have all of the other memory settings set to Auto. You could try a lower memory speed at first, say 2400 or 2667, to see if the board will POST at that speed.
Hey mate how comes the PRO4 says 3200 OC and Killer X370 says 2993 ? 
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 2:59am
Originally posted by Trender Trender wrote:

Things are moving so fast concerning all things Ryzen memory related I think it safe to disregard that.
Trender View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 3:12am
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Things are moving so fast concerning all things Ryzen memory related I think it safe to disregard that.
That makes me breath because I was concerned about that as the official asrock website said those speeds

Also Im buying the X370 Killer SLI only, without ac, how do I update my BIOS, from looking at the website I only see the SLI/ac version: I guess its the same? http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X370%20Killer%20SLI/index.asp#BIOS (dont want to brick it or something lol)

Edited by Trender - 30 Mar 2017 at 3:50am
Nejaa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nejaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 10:37am

Originally posted by Nejaa Nejaa wrote:

And it's a good thing you couldn't either. Just where are you reading folks stupidly and unknowingly adjusting the PCIe Clock?

Links! Please!

Isn't that what this guy did?  Isn't the BCLK your PCIe clock?

I can't the hyperlink to work correctly.  It keeps replacing the "?" with "%3".

https://youtu.be/d0MmDrRUeeQ?t=2m51s

Edited by Nejaa - 30 Mar 2017 at 10:40am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 11:08am

That makes me breath because I was concerned about that as the official asrock website said those speeds

Also Im buying the X370 Killer SLI only, without ac, how do I update my BIOS, from looking at the website I only see the SLI/ac version: I guess its the same? http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X370%20Killer%20SLI/index.asp#BIOS (dont want to brick it or something lol)

Both the X370 Killer SLI/ac and X370 Killer SLI boards have their own web pages, and both pages are accessible from the main ASRock mother board page. Their UEFI/BIOS update versions are currently the same:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X370%20Killer%20SLIac/index.asp#Overview

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X370%20Killer%20SLI/index.asp#Overview

If the UEFI/BIOS updates of the standard and AC versions of these boards is done in the same way as earlier ASRock standard and AC models, the updates for one won't install on the other. That is simply a safety feature just in case one board's UEFI update differs from the other.

This means attempting to install the AC board's UEFI version on the standard version, or vice versa, will result in the update being cancelled or the UEFI update file will not be detected as appropriate for the board.

Regarding the DDR4 memory speed specifications for these boards, that is still being worked out. The Ryzen platform is far from being mature and perfectly defined regarding memory speed support. AMD is still in the process of providing updates and information to mother board manufactures for higher speed memory speed support.

Ryzen's memory speed support also depends upon the memory manufactures providing compatible products at the higher DDR4 speeds. The same thing happened with Intel's Skylake processors and chipset boards. It took a while before compatible DDR4 memory with speeds above 3000 became common, as well as the support from the board's UEFI/BIOS were in place.

Not to mention, the entire Ryzen processor line is not even available yet. Most of it is still to come.

Right now, you are all early adopters of Ryzen systems, and you need to keep that in mind and be patient. The source of all information about Ryzen comes from AMD only. AMD creates it, and passes it on. All anyone can do that is involved with it is wait at this point.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic