ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

1700X - X370 Gaming Pro - can't succeed in OC

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dinin70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1700X - X370 Gaming Pro - can't succeed in OC
    Posted: 05 Apr 2017 at 6:21pm
Dear AsRock Community,

I'm coming to you since I see all over the place people and reviewers OCing their R7 CPU to 3.9ghz, 4.0ghz, while I can't succeed in having anything decent (even 3.7ghz fails me)

First of all, my Rig:

- R7 1700X
- AsRock X370 Gaming Pro (bios 1.50)
- RAM: 2x8GB Corsair 3000mhz XMP (XMP profile enables, 2933mhz)
- R9 Fury
- PSU: Corsair RM1000x
- W10 64b

When testing stability, I run 1 hours OCCT, Cinebench 15 multi and single thread.

About my BIOS tweakings, let's start from UEFI default:

OC Tweaker, set:

- CPU Frequency, manual from 3700 to 3900
- RAM XMP enabled (all figures on Auto respect the RAM manufacturer specification) except that RAM frequency is at 2933mhz, but that is normal.
- Voltage Mode: Stable Mode
- CPU vCore: Fixed @ 1.35v (I don't want to exceed that level)
- CPU LLC: tried from Auto to any LLC down to 3
- SOC voltage: tried Auto or 1.1
- SOC LLC: tried from Auto to any LLC down to 5

Windows boots under any of those scenarios.
Cinebench 15 runs under any of those scenarios.
Temps are fine under any of those scenarios (max CPU 50C from Mobo Sensor, 82C from CPU sensor) 

OCCT doesn't pass 1 hour at 3800mhz and 3900mhz. vCore is very stable (it just oscillate 1 notch) but I get a black screen and sound off after a while.

OCCT 3700mhz 1 hours passes. Everything is fine @ 3700mhz, except that sometimes when booting the computer, it kind of bootloop once or twice before reaching the BIOS, and then everything is stable once Windows is loaded.

When @ stock frequency, nothing is changed in the BIOS except RAM under XMP, nothing weird happens...

I kinda find hard to believe I can't OC stable even to 3700mhz with 1.35v (should even be an overshoot of voltage for that frequency)... Can you help me figuring out:

- what am I doing wrong?
- if there is something else I need to do?
- if I'm having a faulty hardware?

Thank you a lot for your help.

Edited by dinin70 - 05 Apr 2017 at 6:25pm
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2017 at 7:41pm
Disable XMP. 

Overclock with it disabled and see what that gets you. Once you have an OC dialed in then manually set your RAM timings and speed.
dinin70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dinin70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2017 at 9:29pm
Hi Xaltar,

Thank you. I'll try this at home and keep you updated asap. On Reddit a guy told me he had the same issues and sent back the MoBo and CPU, which solved his issue. Hope it's not the case for me :(
potyec View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote potyec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2017 at 9:42pm
Cool `n Quiet is off ?
dinin70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dinin70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2017 at 10:18pm
CnQ is enabled, tried also with C6 and C-State enabled or disabled, it doesn't change anything
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2017 at 10:38pm
Let us know how it goes with XMP off.

What BIOS version are you running?

A caution regarding BIOS, I would avoid updating without doing your research first. Some updates have caused more issues than they solve and in some more extreme cases even bricked boards so exercise extreme caution when deciding on an update. 

Sadly I don't have a ryzen system of my own to test with so I can't offer up any recommendations regarding settings. The best I can do is reiterate what I have seen others post and the results of my own research. 
dinin70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dinin70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2017 at 10:58pm
Hi Xaltar,

I'm running 1.50 in order to have CPU Frequency Multiplier.

And no worries, any help of more experienced people than me is appreciated :)

I just hope I don't have faulty hardware... Passed the 15 days to send them back...

Edited by dinin70 - 05 Apr 2017 at 11:02pm
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2017 at 11:25pm
Originally posted by dinin70 dinin70 wrote:

Hi Xaltar,

I'm running 1.50 in order to have CPU Frequency Multiplier.

And no worries, any help of more experienced people than me is appreciated :)

I just hope I don't have faulty hardware... Passed the 15 days to send them back...

How much experience can anyone have with Ryzen yet when it comes to over clocking? Is it even a month old from the CPU release day?

Plus AMD is constantly providing updates for use with a board's UEFI/BIOS, to fix memory compatibility, and processor bugs like the FMA3 instruction problem. Plus so far, Ryzen is not that great for over clocking.

Ryzen is FAR from being a mature system at this point. If you see any UEFI updates for your board, use them BUT as Xaltar said, until your board has the Instant Flash UEFI update feature available, be SO careful with any other update method.

Also, do you know what the best way to OC a Ryzen processor is? The AMD Ryzen Master Utility (RMU) software that runs in Windows.

Ignore using it at your own loss. Also, reading the User Guide available on the same page is essential:

https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/ryzen-master

Hint: Many reviewers used this software to OC Ryzen processors in their review.

dinin70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dinin70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2017 at 1:52am
Parsec, thank you. But I'll skip that advise:

1. All reviewers I saw are using Bios.
2. Ryzen Master is extremely buggy and makes my computer go bootloop crazy.

Edited by dinin70 - 06 Apr 2017 at 3:24am
mysticjbyrd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mysticjbyrd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2017 at 2:44am
I would never use software to OC my CPU.   I don't think it's even been updated in a month.

I heard it uses absurd amounts of Load line calibration.  

Edited by mysticjbyrd - 06 Apr 2017 at 2:45am
Is "God" able, but not willing to stop evil? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God???

??Epicurus
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic