ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X370 Taichi fast boot

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
debaser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X370 Taichi fast boot
    Posted: 14 May 2017 at 7:00pm
My bios time with memory training on (3200MHz memory won't cold boot without it)

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2017 at 6:51pm
7.3 seconds is flyin' for Ryzen. Wink

Once again demonstrating that Ryzen memory speed and training is the main glitch related to Ryzen processors.

My BIOS time is 19.6 seconds. I have RAID enabled and one RAID array. All SSD system, so not waiting for HDDs to wake up. RAID may be slowing my time down, I see a few SATA POST codes displayed for several seconds.

Will new AGESA updates speed up memory training? Would be nice. Ouch
soleil14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soleil14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2017 at 9:11am
It's only 7.3s:
Boot
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 10:45pm
Originally posted by soleil14 soleil14 wrote:

Originally posted by debaser debaser wrote:

I found a way to improve the post time on my X370 Taichi.
Just disable AM4 Advenced Boot Training and my post time now is only 10s.
The probleme is now I can OC my Ram to only 2666MHz, it was 3200 Mhz when  AM4 Advenced Boot Training is enabled.

I prefer higher speed memory than saving 2-3 seconds post time. Wink
It's not 2,3 s.
It's at least 10s. I'm obsessed with the boot time, so my choice is faster boot time :)

If you are using Windows 10, check the Startup tab in Task Manager, and find the Last BIOS time.

If your Last BIOS time is ~10 seconds, for my Ryzen system that would be a reduction of nine seconds.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 10:40pm

The probleme is now I can OC my Ram to only 2666MHz, it was 3200 Mhz when  AM4 Advenced Boot Training is enabled.

I wrote about disabling the AM4 Advance Boot Training in my second post on page 1 of this thread, to reduce POST time.

"Memory training" can be enabled or disabled on Intel processor/chipset mother boards too. But for whatever reason on AM4 boards, it is slow compared to Intel systems. Hopefully the new AGESA microcode updates (one being released in UEFI updates soon) will improve POST time and memory support.
soleil14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soleil14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 9:11pm
Originally posted by debaser debaser wrote:

It's not 2,3 s.
It's at least 10s. I'm obsessed with the boot time, so my choice is faster boot time :)
debaser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2017 at 1:25am

clubfoot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clubfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2017 at 12:39am

my X370 taichi now only need 13s to boot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TP9ygqf62E0

Then the only question you have to answer yourself is if it is worth the reduction in memory o/c? Depending on how you use your system,...it maybe a mute point. Thumbs Up

soleil14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soleil14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2017 at 11:39pm
my X370 taichi now only need 13s to boot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TP9ygqf62E0
AlbinoRhino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlbinoRhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2017 at 2:20am
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Originally posted by AlbinoRhino AlbinoRhino wrote:

Well this is a pretty big bummer. I purchased an M.2 drive just to get fast booting and it looks like I've wasted my money.

I guess I'll return it. To most, sitting at a station waiting for a 20second boot might seem trivial, but to me it is not acceptable.

A PC's startup time has two parts, POST (Power On Self Test), and the actual loading and running of the OS, which is the "boot" time.

If you had a POST beep speaker connected to your board, and Boot Beep option enabled in the UEFI,? Boot screen, you could track the POST time, and the actual Windows boot time. When you hear the single POST Ok beep, that is the point that Windows begins to boot, and not before that. The fastest SSD in the world cannot do anything to change how long POST is on a system.

On my X370 Killer SLI/ac board with a 1700X and Samsung 960 EVO for the OS drive, after the POST Ok beep, from a cold start, I see the Windows logo for ~one second (Full Screen Logo is disabled), I don't see the circle of spinning dots indicating Windows is loading at all. The Windows logo quickly fades, and since I don't have a password set on this PC, the Desktop is displayed immediately. From POST Ok beep to Desktop is at most three seconds, that is my Windows "boot" time.

Someone asked about waking from Sleep in a Ryzen PC. Windows 10 Sleep works fine on my Ryzen PC, the wake up time is no different than any other PC I've used. POST does not run when waking from Sleep.

The long wait at the station as you put it, is all Ryzen waking up and completing POST. Yes it is long, even longer than my Intel X99 PC, that are always disliked for their long POST times. Why Ryzen takes so long to wake up and POST, I don't know. Besides Ryzen's memory compatibility situation, the long Ryzen POST time is its main negative feature.

Another unfortunate reality is NVMe SSDs do not provide a substantially lower OS boot time than a decent SATA SSD. I assume you have an NVMe SSD, you mentioned M.2, but there are SATA M.2 SSDs, and multiple models of M.2 NVMe SSDs, some faster than others. Many NVMe SSD users have complained about the little to no difference in OS booting time, so you are not alone or doing something wrong. Why that is the case is not understood well. It might be that the Windows file system, long overdue for an overhaul or replacement since it was designed for mechanical HDDs, is the bottleneck. The TRIM instruction added to the SATA standard and now NVMe standard is a workaround for NAND/flash storage that it needs, and is not provided in the Windows file system.

Sorry to say, but if the long startup time of Ryzen boards is not acceptable, then you'll need to return your Ryzen board along with your M.2 SSD. We have no idea at this time if the Ryzen initialization and POST time will be, or can be, reduced. I don't like it either. My Intel Z270 PC using the same 960 EVO SSD as the OS drive, is less than 10 seconds from power button press to Windows Desktop.

I won't be returning my board. I'll just need to slow my roll and change my habits. Well, I will eventually change boards once I've tinkered a bit with the Kill SLI and the rush on the Taichi boards is over. Not due to a boot time however.

It's too early to tell if they can still improve the Ryzen1 boot times, but this is definitely something they might look into for Revision 2. It's not a deal killer for me, but it is super unfortunate that in 2017 you're looking at such lengthy boot times.

I'll have to pick up one of those tiny speakers for sure. Right now I have no way of determining any sort of codes that could be throw at me.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic