ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - X370 Fatal1ty Gaming Professional - [BIOS v2.x]
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X370 Fatal1ty Gaming Professional - [BIOS v2.x]

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 14>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teckie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 1:19am
Yes I tried this lastnight and it didnt help. I spent another hour or so trying different mem speed and c-line lvl and the result is unchanged. I have not seen or found a single person out there who owns this board and able to overclock and run it with STABILITY.

Is this board overclock-able ? Cause i got the impression from the way ASrock advertises it or am i really missing something here ?

Now I'm curious if this Agesa version has been thoroughly tested on this board before it got released.

Mojobaggins View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojobaggins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 1:28am
Originally posted by Teckie Teckie wrote:

Yes I tried this lastnight and it didnt help. I spent another hour or so trying different mem speed and c-line lvl and the result is unchanged. I have not seen or found a single person out there who owns this board and able to overclock and run it with STABILITY.

Is this board overclock-able ? Cause i got the impression from the way ASrock advertises it or am i really missing something here ?

Now I'm curious if this Agesa version has been thoroughly tested on this board before it got released.

Huh, people in this very thread including myself are able to.

What are you trying to specifically overclock?  CPU?  RAM?  CPU+RAM?  What voltage are you giving the CPU to overclock to 3.8ghz?  I have mine set to 1.3v.

Edited by Mojobaggins - 13 Jun 2017 at 1:34am
Teckie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teckie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 1:50am
Originally posted by Mojobaggins Mojobaggins wrote:

Originally posted by Teckie Teckie wrote:

Huh, people in this very thread including myself are able to.

What are you trying to specifically overclock?  CPU?  RAM?  CPU+RAM?  What voltage are you giving the CPU to overclock to 3.8ghz?  I have mine set to 1.3v.

Sorry I missed your post there and glad that atleast someone was able to. What I tried to do seems to be simple enough and that is to raise the cpu 1700x from stock to 3900 with voltage set between 1.3-1.37. At the moment it's not working for me.

And as for the RAM, I tried to load xmp profile at 3200 with both in-line set between 1-2 and the voltage is at 1.35 by default since i dont touch it. And this didnt work either.

For now I try to get one thing to overclock successfully first before I proceed with both cpu and RAM overclocking. So far I have not able to achieve neither. 
twf85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twf85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 10:10am
@Teckie,

Try duplicating the settings from the screenshots I posted on the last page. You shouldn't need to do anything other then what I have shown there, aside from putting in 3900 instead of 4000 for the CPU freq.

Also, try disabling "AM4 Advance Boot Training".
cutterjohn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cutterjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2017 at 12:31am
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Originally posted by cutterjohn cutterjohn wrote:

That said I had a mixed setup on an ASUS X79 board that worked fine for me... I was running 4x8GB and 4x4GB(original RAM) for a while...

I'd have to get parsec in here to give the technical nomenclature for what and why Intel can do that.

Rest assured, AMD doesn't play as nice with this supposed mem set up.

Don't get me wrong, you're free to try. I'm only voicing my past experiences and knowledge. I'd love dearly to hear you succeed.Wink
would this happen to be an AMD specific thing then?

The RAM on the X79 was Corsair Vengeance series which I had running @ 1600Mhz... I late replaced the 4x4GB kit with a second 4x8GB since at the time memory had gotten to be dirt cheap, got the kit for c. $50 IIRC...
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2017 at 3:54am
Yea. AMD memory controller haven't much appreciated this. On very rare occasions I have seen it work. Timings and sub timings, and to an extent vDIMM, are critical if this is even to be considered. Even then YMMV .......

I'm gonna get parsec to describe it from the point of some not all Intel processors.
Teckie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teckie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2017 at 8:34am
Originally posted by twf85 twf85 wrote:

@Teckie,

Try duplicating the settings from the screenshots I posted on the last page. You shouldn't need to do anything other then what I have shown there, aside from putting in 3900 instead of 4000 for the CPU freq.

Also, try disabling "AM4 Advance Boot Training".

From the pictures, is it 2.30 ver bios ? cause in Agesa, I dont think you can manually input for memory anymore except for just selecting xmp profile and that's it.

On the new bios, the menu for manually inputting memory data is under advance/DDR (memory) OC. And I did try it here a couple days ago and the board doesnt like it.
I might try 16-16-16-39 and 16 CAS later today and see how it is. But I doubt it'd work.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2017 at 11:54am

Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

That said I had a mixed setup on an ASUS X79 board that worked fine for me... I was running 4x8GB and 4x4GB(original RAM) for a while...

I'd have to get parsec in here to give the technical nomenclature for what and why Intel can do that.

Rest assured, AMD doesn't play as nice with this supposed mem set up.

Don't get me wrong, you're free to try. I'm only voicing my past experiences and knowledge. I'd love dearly to hear you succeed.Wink
would this happen to be an AMD specific thing then?

The RAM on the X79 was Corsair Vengeance series which I had running @ 1600Mhz... I late replaced the 4x4GB kit with a second 4x8GB since at the time memory had gotten to be dirt cheap, got the kit for c. $50 IIRC...

On the Intel side, it's called Intel Flex Memory Technology. It's active when DIMMs of unequal capacity such as 4GB and 8GB, are mixed together in a memory channel. The drawback about it is the smaller capacity DIMM determines the maximum amount of the capacity of the larger DIMM that will work in dual/multi-channel mode. The remaining capacity of the larger DIMM will operate in single channel, non-interleaved mode. The result is one symmetric and one asymmetric "zone" of memory. But it does allow the use of mixed sized DIMMs, that must otherwise be of compatible memory chip types, and organization of the chips. Type does not mean the same manufacture.

Does AMD/Ryzen have this type of memory support? No idea, I have yet to see a Ryzen processor document that is the equivalent of an Intel processor datasheet. If we check the manual of an Intel Z270 board, the memory specs include this statement:

For dual channel configuration, you always need to install identical (the same brand, speed, size and chip-type) DDR4 DIMM pairs.

Note that this specifies for dual channel configuration, which implies the existence of Flex Memory support.

If we check the memory specs of the X370 Fatal1ty Professional Gaming board (online manual), we find the same thing. If it is true or not, who knows?

If you are using two completely different models of memory, including different memory chip manufactures, then only if the memory chip design is the same (device technology and organization) will there be any chance of them working together. That goes for any system, Intel or AMD.

Also, too many unknown variables between the memory used in your X79 board, and this one to predict the outcome. My only point is if it does not work, don't blame ASRock. The memory controller is on the CPU and designed by AMD. Memory compatibility is the biggest issue with Rzyen, and a world of its own. That makes predictions even more difficult.

I'd be happy if it works for you, but not in the least surprised if it doesn't. If it does I'd love to know the model numbers of both memory models.

Also, don't compare the behavior of your Ryzen system with others you've had in the past, as an indication of what is normal or abnormal. Ryzen has a few unique behaviors, like the on and off sequencing during POST when performing memory training. If you don't like that, set the AMD Advanced Boot Training option in the UEFI to disabled.

twf85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twf85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2017 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Ryzen has a few unique behaviors, like the on and off sequencing during POST when performing memory training. If you don't like that, set the AMD Advanced Boot Training option in the UEFI to disabled.

I was struggling with that for a long while and didn't even realize it. What is actually taking place while that "Training" is going on? Also, I believe it's called, AM4, not AMD. At least, that's what its called in my UEFI.
yoonie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yoonie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2017 at 10:02pm
For anyone who's having trouble getting their memory to post at the same speeds as BIOS 2.30 and is confused by the new timings settings, try raising your tCS.  Previous BIOS automatically set it to 75 when boot training which allows for a lot of leniency in terms of getting memory to work at faster speeds but is also a very loose timing.

BIOS 2.40 seems to set leave it 51 (or that might just be what the default for my XMP profile was) so you're gonna have to raise it manually.  I'm still tweaking but as of now I'm at 3200 16-18-18-38-62-1 (tCAS-tRC-tRP-tRAS-tCS-tCR) on 3000 C15 Hynix sticks.  DRAM at 1.44 VSoC at 1.18, CPU is 3.9 p-phase OC at 1.34 VCore.  On 2.30 I got similar speeds but my tCS was stuck at 75

Edited by yoonie - 14 Jun 2017 at 10:02pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 14>
  Share Topic