ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - X370 Fatal1ty Gaming Professional - [BIOS v2.x]
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X370 Fatal1ty Gaming Professional - [BIOS v2.x]

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 14>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaintwinkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2017 at 9:05pm
1. 1700
32 GB of RAM
F4-2400C15D-32GIS

2. 1.6

3. Windows UpdateBIOS.bat file

4. Great so far, the only issue I ran into, I run a bunch of Virtual Machines on my box and CPU Virtualization got disabled after flashing it, (can't remember the exact name of the setting).
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2017 at 11:05pm
Originally posted by captaintwinkie captaintwinkie wrote:

1. 1700
32 GB of RAM
F4-2400C15D-32GIS

2. 1.6

4. Great so far, the only issue I ran into, I run a bunch of Virtual Machines on my box and CPU Virtualization got disabled after flashing it, (can't remember the exact name of the setting).

I can only assume the UEFI/BIOS of your board will be the same as my X370 Killer SLI/ac.

The option I believe you are looking for is in the Advanced, CPU Configuration screen, and is called SVM Mode.

One thing that worries me, is I thought that option was enabled by default. Might have changed with a new UEFI version.
captaintwinkie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaintwinkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2017 at 1:06am
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Originally posted by captaintwinkie captaintwinkie wrote:

1. 1700
32 GB of RAM
F4-2400C15D-32GIS

2. 1.6

I can only assume the UEFI/BIOS of your board will be the same as my X370 Killer SLI/ac.

The option I believe you are looking for is in the Advanced, CPU Configuration screen, and is called SVM Mode.

One thing that worries me, is I thought that option was enabled by default. Might have changed with a new UEFI version.

Yes thats the setting, yeah it was on by default when I first got the board, no issues until I updated that EUFI, but once I got it flipped on everything was good.
murakume View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murakume Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2017 at 12:21pm
1. 1800X
    16GB of G.Skill 3200C14 Samsung B-die

2. Updated from 1.93d

3. Used the BIOS Instant Flash

4. Been basically the same; RAM still works at XMP settings and processor is still stable at 4GHz on the same settings I had previous. I do get some glitchy graphic when shutting down or booting up though. Can't be certain if this is BIOS or the new GPU, haven't tried reinstalling the card physically either yet. I did have a scare with my primary SSD today though. Switched SATA ports and BIOS picked it back up, haven't put it back where it was though so can't say if I lost a SATA port randomly or not.
twf85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote twf85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2017 at 10:31pm
Originally posted by murakume murakume wrote:

I do get some glitchy graphic when shutting down or booting up though

Is the graphics card UEFI enabled? If it's a relatively new card (>2013-14), then you should be safe.

If your OS is UEFI, go to the BOOT tab in this BIOS, scroll to the bottom, and click on "CSM Compatibility". That is enabled by default, and will get reset after a BIOS update. If the "glitchy" graphics you're referring to is the OS loading screen appearing and then reappearing before you see your login screen, then I'd hazard a guess that your OS is UEFI and that you have CSM Compatibility enabled.

If you disable CSM Compatibility, and all you see is a black screen after hitting the power button, then your graphics card is probably not UEFI capable. Resetting the CMOS is probably the only way forward after that.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2017 at 10:50pm
Originally posted by murakume murakume wrote:

1. 1800X
    16GB of G.Skill 3200C14 Samsung B-die

2. Updated from 1.93d

3. Used the BIOS Instant Flash

4. Been basically the same; RAM still works at XMP settings and processor is still stable at 4GHz on the same settings I had previous. I do get some glitchy graphic when shutting down or booting up though. Can't be certain if this is BIOS or the new GPU, haven't tried reinstalling the card physically either yet. I did have a scare with my primary SSD today though. Switched SATA ports and BIOS picked it back up, haven't put it back where it was though so can't say if I lost a SATA port randomly or not.

With a different ASRock X370 board, I've seen once or twice some strange graphics, but not consistent. I had switched to non-UEFI booting mode as a test as discussed above, and it's interesting to learn that might not be only myself that saw that happen, if I recall all that correctly.

Are you using RAID mode? I had an SSD disappear after initializing it with the RAIDXpert2 software. Put another SSD on the same SATA port, no problem.
yoonie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yoonie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2017 at 11:17pm

1. Your system's specs.
R7 1700

2. The BIOS version that was installed before updating to 2.0.

1.93, maybe?  

3. Update method (BIOS/DOS/WINDOWS).

Windows

4. Your experience so far with the new BIOS.

Fan curves don't seem to work at all- all my fans run at a constant speed no matter which settings I use. I can change the speed by messing with fan curves but it doesn't react to CPU temperature at all, and it doesn't seem to respond to the mobo temp reading either.  I think maybe it's trying to use the PECI temp for the CPU, and since that's stuck at 40C, it always uses the corresponding fan speed.  Also F-Stream Tuning stopped working for me after the Windows Creator update so that's not an option either.

It's driving me nuts and even though I know it's incredibly unlikely, I'm paranoid that I caused thermal damage during stress testing when I was trying to figure out what was going on.

Edited by yoonie - 10 Apr 2017 at 11:18pm
twf85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twf85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 8:32am
Originally posted by yoonie yoonie wrote:

Fan curves don't seem to work at all- all my fans run at a constant speed no matter which settings I use. I can change the speed by messing with fan curves but it doesn't react to CPU temperature at all, and it doesn't seem to respond to the mobo temp reading either.  I think maybe it's trying to use the PECI temp for the CPU, and since that's stuck at 40C, it always uses the corresponding fan speed.  Also F-Stream Tuning stopped working for me after the Windows Creator update so that's not an option either.

It's driving me nuts and even though I know it's incredibly unlikely, I'm paranoid that I caused thermal damage during stress testing when I was trying to figure out what was going on.

1. Were you overclocking the CPU during your stress tests?

2. What program are you using to monitor temps?
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 11:15am

1. Your system's specs.
R7 1700

2. The BIOS version that was installed before updating to 2.0.

1.93, maybe?  

3. Update method (BIOS/DOS/WINDOWS).

Windows

4. Your experience so far with the new BIOS.

Your fan speed control problems don't make sense IMO. I have the X370 Killer SLI/ac, which has identical fan headers and controls to your board. The ASRock X370 boards have the best overall fan speed control and options that I've seen from ASRock so far. They work fine for me. You are just not familiar with how they work.

What fan models are you using? Are they three or four pin fans?

First, if you are using the built in fan speed profiles in the UEFI, it depends upon which one(s) you use. Personally, I create a Custom profile for each fan header, using the FAN-Tastic Tuning option in the HW Monitor screen. You also must be familiar with the characteristics of the fans you are using.

The most basic think to know is the maximum RPM of each fan, so you can adjust the profile to match the fan's speed range. Every fan model is different, there are no standards for fans except for their size and they are 12V max. They each start spinning at a different voltage or PWM level, so if you have different fan models, each fan must be configured individually. A built in fan profile will have one fan model spinning at full speed, while another fan will be well under 1,000 RPM with the same profile.

The Chassis fan headers when used with the built in profiles, monitor the mother board temperature, not the CPU temperature. How much does the mother board temperature change, even when stress testing the CPU? Mine never changes more than five degrees. So the fan speeds never change with the built in profiles.

This is an example of the FAN-Tastic Tuning screen in the UEFI, after clicking on Chassis Fan 1 on the left, and Customize at the top right:

Note the Monitor CPU and Monitor M/B (Mother Board) buttons, I have CPU selected. I select CPU for all the Chassis fans, since as the CPU get hot, I want more cool air coming into the PC case. Selecting Mother board is worthless as I said, unless your mobo temperature changes a lot, which IMO just means poor basic case ventilation.

That curve is for an intake fan. It runs at 55% up to 40C, 65% up to 50C, 75% up to 60C, 85% up to 80C, and 100% above 80C.

You can either drag the dots with the mouse to a temperature and fan speed percentage, or click on it and use the cursor buttons on the keyboard. You must click Apply to save the Custom curve. Once you use this interface, you won't use anything else. If you save a UEFI settings profile in the OC Tweaker screen, it will save the Custom fan curves with it. If you update the UEFI to a new version, all the profiles will be gone.

You can also use F-Stream's FAN-Tastic Tuning in Windows to create and modify custom profiles, the interface is similar. You can run the Fan Test option in F-Stream's FAN-Tastic Tuning, which will show you the maximum and minimum speeds of the fan. The Fan Test option in the HW Monitoring screen finds the lowest % setting value before a fan stops spinning.

If your CPU cooler's fan(s), which MUST be connected to the CPU Fan header, are not speeding up when the CPU gets warm, either you have weird fans, have a three pin fan on the CPU OPT header only, or are using the Silent profile.

The built in fan profiles do not monitor the CPU PECI temperature. PECI is an Intel only thing, AMD does not use it, which is why the temperature never changes. You use HWiNFO?

Edited by parsec - 11 Apr 2017 at 11:15am
yoonie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yoonie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 2:52am
Originally posted by twf85 twf85 wrote:

1. Were you overclocking the CPU during your stress tests?

2. What program are you using to monitor temps?

P-phase overclocked (3.9 ghz 1.36 Vcore 1.15 VSoC, shown to clock up and down properly in hwinfo) and using HWinfo64 for monitoring, most recent beta.

Edited by yoonie - 12 Apr 2017 at 3:02am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 14>
  Share Topic