ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X370 Taichi SATA SSD goes missing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellogs23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2017 at 3:30am
The new motherboard arrived with a new cpu as well. I tried the new 1400 cpu on the Taichi and the issues were the same. I put the old 1800x in the new msi xpower and the sata's are woring, 534 read 493 write. I'm guessing the taichi is faulty and i should rma?

LE: another thing i noticed is the fans on the cpu cooler (ek predator 360) are a lot more quieter than on the taichi

Edited by Kellogs23 - 15 Apr 2017 at 5:36am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2017 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by Kellogs23 Kellogs23 wrote:

The new motherboard arrived with a new cpu as well. I tried the new 1400 cpu on the Taichi and the issues were the same. I put the old 1800x in the new msi xpower and the sata's are woring, 534 read 493 write. I'm guessing the taichi is faulty and i should rma?

LE: another thing i noticed is the fans on the cpu cooler (ek predator 360) are a lot more quieter than on the taichi

No other way to test it, unless you wait a while to see if the SSDs disappears again on the new board. Given the way the Ryzen platform is designed, it seems the Taichi is the problem. So either RMA or return to retailer.

The fans are quieter on the other board no doubt because of the differences in the fan profiles between the two boards.

Were you using the default profiles on each board, or a custom profile? Plus there are multiple built in profiles on both boards. There is no reason why they would be the same on both boards. There are no standards regarding fan speeds at specific PWM levels (4 pin fans) or voltage (3 pin fans). Also, every fan model is different in its specs, there are no standards for starting voltage, minimum and maximum RPM, etc.

Were you monitoring the fan speeds on your EK 360 on the Taichi and MSI boards? If they are quieter with the MSI board, they must be spinning at a lower speed/RPM. There is no other possible explanation.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2017 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by Peter13779 Peter13779 wrote:

Little update here:

The MX100 is working but very very slow in some situations (kb/s!).

I changed to an Samsung 840 pro from my notebook. For now thats OK but I will return the board if there is no final solution ...

Next Update:

Sleep Port0 and Port1 disabled did not change anything.
But I had time to test every single SATA port.

MX100 and BX100 are working BUT only from port 2 upwards. Port 0 and 1 are comming directly from CPU ...

Now is the question:
1. bad CPU
2. bad Board
3. bad BIOS

I just connected a Crucial MX100 to my X370 Killer SLI/ac board, with a Ryzen 1700X CPU. Using SATA port 2, my board's are labeled from 1 to 6, so port 2 is from the CPU.

So far, so good, we'll see if anything changes.
Kellogs23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellogs23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2017 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

No other way to test it, unless you wait a while to see if the SSDs disappears again on the new board. Given the way the Ryzen platform is designed, it seems the Taichi is the problem. So either RMA or return to retailer.

The fans are quieter on the other board no doubt because of the differences in the fan profiles between the two boards.

Were you using the default profiles on each board, or a custom profile? Plus there are multiple built in profiles on both boards. There is no reason why they would be the same on both boards. There are no standards regarding fan speeds at specific PWM levels (4 pin fans) or voltage (3 pin fans). Also, every fan model is different in its specs, there are no standards for starting voltage, minimum and maximum RPM, etc.

Were you monitoring the fan speeds on your EK 360 on the Taichi and MSI boards? If they are quieter with the MSI board, they must be spinning at a lower speed/RPM. There is no other possible explanation.

Yep, the fan profiles are probably different. On the msi board they are inaudible, on the asrock they blasted almost full force :P Don't know why the stock setting would be full blast tough. I didn't change anything from the stock bios config.
ljt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ljt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2017 at 1:17am
Just registered to say I'm having the exact same problem regarding the disappearing Crucial BX100. 

My spec as follows;

Asrock X370 Taichi - BIOS V. 2.0
Ryzen R5 1600x
16Gb (2 x 8gb) Team Group DDR4 3200Mhz CL16
Crucial BX100 250Gb SSD
GTX 970 4gb GPU

Thats all that is currently connected to the system.

The drive showed up on first boot in the BIOS. Went to exit BIOS to tell the system to boot off my USB drive to install windows, the system reboots loads up the windows installer, which then says there isn't a HDD to install to. 

So I go back into the BIOS and the BX100 has dissapeared. No amount of restarts would make it show up again. I tried loading defaults still nothing.

The only way I can get it to show up again is to shut the system down, remove power for 10 seconds, reset cmos and reconnect power and start it up again. If I go into the BIOS the drive is there again

There is no way I can install windows on this system with this drive.

It seems an awful coincidence that someone else is having the exact same problem with the exact same motherboard and SSD combo 

Edited by ljt - 16 Apr 2017 at 4:17am
ljt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ljt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2017 at 4:16am
A little update after some testing;

I've managed to try both a Crucial MX100 and a Samsung EVO 850 ssd using the same sata cable on the same port (sata3_1) that the BX100 was disappearing from and they both seem ok and were showing as an option when I ran the windows install via USB.

edit: I also shifted the BX100 down to SATA port 2 and left the MX100 on port 1 (where the BX100 was disappearing from to begin with) and and the BX100 disappeared from SATA port 2 just like it did on port 1. Yet the MX100 remained ok on port 1. So it's not the port or cable.

For some reason after first reboot the system just doesn't like the Crucial BX100 and it disappears into nowhere.

Edited by ljt - 16 Apr 2017 at 4:22am
Kellogs23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellogs23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2017 at 5:20am
How are your speeds to either drive? 
ljt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ljt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2017 at 5:56am

How are your speeds to either drive? 

I don't know, I haven't got that far yet lol. I haven't managed to even install windows yet as I was hoping to install it on the BX100 as that was cleared of data prior to my new build ready for windows. 

The other 2 drives (mx100 ans evo 850) both have data on at the moment thats why i only used them to check the port/cable was ok. However it looks as though I might end up using the MX100 drive to install windows tomorrow as it only contains some games from my old rig

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2017 at 11:11am
My MX100 on SATA port 2 has never disappeared, through multiple restarts, a UEFI update, shutdowns, and a long Windows Sleep over a 24 hour period. I'm using a X370 Killer SLI/ac board.

I'm NOT saying you X370 Taichi users should not be having problems. Impossible for me to know what is going on with your boards. If this was isolated to the MX100 SSD, I should be having the same issue. That SSD is not empty, and I've accessed files on it multiple times to be sure it is working.

SSD speeds are Ok, although the 4K speeds are lower than I normally see on my Intel systems.

ljt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ljt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2017 at 3:52pm
My problem is with the BX100 not the MX100. After testing using the same port and cable as the BX100 the MX100 didn't disappear.

Only the BX100 ssd seems to be giving me issues
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic