ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X370 Taichi SATA SSD goes missing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter13779 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2017 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by ljt ljt wrote:

A little update after some testing;

I've managed to try both a Crucial MX100 and a Samsung EVO 850 ssd using the same sata cable on the same port (sata3_1) that the BX100 was disappearing from and they both seem ok and were showing as an option when I ran the windows install via USB.

edit: I also shifted the BX100 down to SATA port 2 and left the MX100 on port 1 (where the BX100 was disappearing from to begin with) and and the BX100 disappeared from SATA port 2 just like it did on port 1. Yet the MX100 remained ok on port 1. So it's not the port or cable.

For some reason after first reboot the system just doesn't like the Crucial BX100 and it disappears into nowhere.

Better description than mine with my poor english Big smile

The BX100 is still disapearing sometimes when I soft-reset the system. Since it is on SATA3_4 while SATA3_3 has an normal HDD connected it is working fine when the system is runnig and it is BIOS-found. Not usind SATA3_3 and BX100@SATA3_4 it is still disapearing every soft-reset. This has to be some crazy energy-saving stuff or powerdelivery detection problem ...

The Taichi BIOS is a bitch LOL
ljt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ljt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2017 at 8:34pm
Well I've finally got windows installed, but had to use the MX100 drive. The BX100 still wont recognise past first boot. 

Hard drive wise I now have connected;

Sata3_1 - Crucial MX100 256Gb - Windows
Sata3_2 - Crucial BX100 - Not seen by BIOS/Windows
Sata3_3 - Samsung EVO 500Gb - games storage
Sata3_4 - Seagate 1TB Mechanical HDD - Programs and files

I tried the BX100 in a SATA USB external enclosure and it's recognised fine on my laptop and could open the drive fine. So I don't think the drive is faulty, just some mismatch with this Taichi mobo
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2017 at 8:41pm
Originally posted by Peter13779 Peter13779 wrote:

I've managed to try both a Crucial MX100 and a Samsung EVO 850 ssd using the same sata cable on the same port (sata3_1) that the BX100 was disappearing from and they both seem ok and were showing as an option when I ran the windows install via USB.

edit: I also shifted the BX100 down to SATA port 2 and left the MX100 on port 1 (where the BX100 was disappearing from to begin with) and and the BX100 disappeared from SATA port 2 just like it did on port 1. Yet the MX100 remained ok on port 1. So it's not the port or cable.

For some reason after first reboot the system just doesn't like the Crucial BX100 and it disappears into nowhere.

The BX100 is still disapearing sometimes when I soft-reset the system. Since it is on SATA3_4 while SATA3_3 has an normal HDD connected it is working fine when the system is runnig and it is BIOS-found. Not usind SATA3_3 and BX100@SATA3_4 it is still disapearing every soft-reset. This has to be some crazy energy-saving stuff or powerdelivery detection problem ...

From my post on page 1:

I'm not sure if your board's UEFI has these options, or what version you are using, I hope the latest 2.00 version. In the Advanced screen, do you see the AMD CBS screen?

If so, in that screen find the Promontory Common Options screen, and in there the PT SATA Configuration screen.

Two options in this screen, PT Aggressive SATA Device Sleep Port0 and Port1. Set both to Disabled.

In the AMD CBS screen, there is also the FCH Common Options screen. The FCH is the X370 chipset, which can support up to eight SATA III ports. It also has a SATA Configuration screen. Why there are both Promontory and FCH SATA screen options, I am not yet clear about. Both Promontory and FCH are terms for the X370 chipset.

Regardless, this SATA Configuration screen has Aggressive SATA Device Sleep options, again try disabling them.

I can't guarantee disabling these options will fix your problem.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2017 at 8:47pm

My problem is with the BX100 not the MX100. After testing using the same port and cable as the BX100 the MX100 didn't disappear.

Only the BX100 ssd seems to be giving me issues

Yes, but we have had posts about the MX100 having detection problems in this thread, and I have an MX100.  I don't have a BX100.

Just testing with what I can.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2017 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by Kellogs23 Kellogs23 wrote:

Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Originally posted by Kellogs23 Kellogs23 wrote:

The new motherboard arrived with a new cpu as well. I tried the new 1400 cpu on the Taichi and the issues were the same. I put the old 1800x in the new msi xpower and the sata's are woring, 534 read 493 write. I'm guessing the taichi is faulty and i should rma?

LE: another thing i noticed is the fans on the cpu cooler (ek predator 360) are a lot more quieter than on the taichi

No other way to test it, unless you wait a while to see if the SSDs disappears again on the new board. Given the way the Ryzen platform is designed, it seems the Taichi is the problem. So either RMA or return to retailer.

The fans are quieter on the other board no doubt because of the differences in the fan profiles between the two boards.

Were you using the default profiles on each board, or a custom profile? Plus there are multiple built in profiles on both boards. There is no reason why they would be the same on both boards. There are no standards regarding fan speeds at specific PWM levels (4 pin fans) or voltage (3 pin fans). Also, every fan model is different in its specs, there are no standards for starting voltage, minimum and maximum RPM, etc.

Were you monitoring the fan speeds on your EK 360 on the Taichi and MSI boards? If they are quieter with the MSI board, they must be spinning at a lower speed/RPM. There is no other possible explanation.

Yep, the fan profiles are probably different. On the msi board they are inaudible, on the asrock they blasted almost full force :P Don't know why the stock setting would be full blast tough. I didn't change anything from the stock bios config.

Two possible reasons for using the Full On setting as the default.

The main thing is ASRock has no idea what CPU cooler is being used. Sure, you use liquid cooling, but most people don't. The full on profile is the default to protect people that use cheap CPU coolers or those trying to adapt semi-compatible coolers to AM4 mounting. Then ASRock hears from users that say, "Why did you let my CPU over heat!". That has happened. Confused

The other reason is to inspire you to learn about the fan profiles. Wink
Peter13779 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter13779 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2017 at 10:21pm

From my post on page 1:

I'm not sure if your board's UEFI has these options, or what version you are using, I hope the latest 2.00 version. In the Advanced screen, do you see the AMD CBS screen?

If so, in that screen find the Promontory Common Options screen, and in there the PT SATA Configuration screen.

Two options in this screen, PT Aggressive SATA Device Sleep Port0 and Port1. Set both to Disabled.

In the AMD CBS screen, there is also the FCH Common Options screen. The FCH is the X370 chipset, which can support up to eight SATA III ports. It also has a SATA Configuration screen. Why there are both Promontory and FCH SATA screen options, I am not yet clear about. Both Promontory and FCH are terms for the X370 chipset.

Regardless, this SATA Configuration screen has Aggressive SATA Device Sleep options, again try disabling them.

They are already set and do not change anything ...

After asking micron for a firmware without powersaving features for BX100 they just removed the 100er drives from comp. list:

http://www.crucial.de/deu/de/upgrade-kompatibel-mit//x370-taichi#ssdResults

but told me that there are no known problems witch Taichi x370 and BX100 drives ;-)

@Asrock its on YOU to fix this Wink
ljt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ljt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2017 at 11:13pm

From my post on page 1:

Hi. 

I've tried that but no success with those options. I'll try the BX100 in the 2 sata ports from the ASMedia chipset later and see if that recognises the drive without it disappearing and report back
GenesisDoes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenesisDoes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2017 at 3:10am

From my post on page 1:

< ="chrome-extension://hhojmcideegachlhfgfdhailpfhgknjm/web_accessible_resources/index.js">

These settings didn't work. It appears only certain SSD's disappear like the Mushkin Reactor and Crucial BX100. Other SSD's seem to be working fine and the HDD's never disappear.
Taichi X370, Ryzen 1700 @ 4ghz, 32GB G.Skill TridentZ Ram, Samsung 960 EVO nvme, Intel 600P nvme, 2TB Seagate HDD, 2TB Hitachi HDD, 1TB Mushkin SSD, GTX 1080
ljt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ljt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2017 at 5:09am
Update 2:

Ok. So I've plugged the BX100 into the ASMedia ASM1061 ports on the board (SATA3_A1/A2) and it detected it perfectly and is now showing up in windows and is fully useable.

I've ran some benchmarks and the drive is slightly under performing due to the fact it's on a 3rd party chip rather than native like the rest. 

However it's now proven it isn't the drive itself at fault.

I also did a little bit of digging regarding the 2 drives mentioned having compatibility issues with SATA ports 1-8 (AMD native) i.e. BX100 and the Mushkin Reactor drives and noticed they both have the same controller in common i.e. - Silicon Motion SM2246EN

The MX100 uses a Marvell controller and the Samsung EVO 850 uses its own samsung controller.

Perhaps it's an issue with the main SATA ports not liking this certain controller?

Edited by ljt - 17 Apr 2017 at 5:10am
GenesisDoes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenesisDoes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2017 at 4:33am

Update 2:

Ok. So I've plugged the BX100 into the ASMedia ASM1061 ports on the board (SATA3_A1/A2) and it detected it perfectly and is now showing up in windows and is fully useable.

I've ran some benchmarks and the drive is slightly under performing due to the fact it's on a 3rd party chip rather than native like the rest. 

However it's now proven it isn't the drive itself at fault.

I also did a little bit of digging regarding the 2 drives mentioned having compatibility issues with SATA ports 1-8 (AMD native) i.e. BX100 and the Mushkin Reactor drives and noticed they both have the same controller in common i.e. - Silicon Motion SM2246EN

The MX100 uses a Marvell controller and the Samsung EVO 850 uses its own samsung controller.

Perhaps it's an issue with the main SATA ports not liking this certain controller?
< ="chrome-extension://hhojmcideegachlhfgfdhailpfhgknjm/web_accessible_resources/index.js">

Looks like an issue with this particular controller and X370, maybe something like Z87 and Sandforce controller issues, didn't detect unless you restart just like I'm having now.
Taichi X370, Ryzen 1700 @ 4ghz, 32GB G.Skill TridentZ Ram, Samsung 960 EVO nvme, Intel 600P nvme, 2TB Seagate HDD, 2TB Hitachi HDD, 1TB Mushkin SSD, GTX 1080
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
  Share Topic