ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X370 TAICHI $ GSKILL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2017 at 12:35am
What BIOS version are you on?
Sensai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sensai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2017 at 12:39am
BIOS 2.0
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2017 at 6:43am
Originally posted by Peter13779 Peter13779 wrote:

I am runnig F4-3200C15D-32GVK G.SKILL 2x16GB on my Taichi.

They are sold as 15-15-15-35 @ 1.35

More than 17-17-17-17-35 @3200 is not working with my 1700x @ stock. (v1.375 and vSOC 1.05)

This is not bad at all but i expect better timings with newer BIOS versions!

you have done well to get 3200 on 16gb sticks !

you have done very well indeed Clap

in fact your the first person who i have read to get it to 3200 on 16gb sticks
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2017 at 6:49am
Originally posted by Sensai Sensai wrote:

Well I just did an experiment and did manual setting of ram to what the board wants to set to defaulf.

Guess what it did?  The same fancy reboot dance half a dozen times and then went to default.  Is this a bad motherboard? It just won't let me set ram to manual settings at all!
*sigh*

im very baffled

ok last thought try totally clearing cmos
use the jumper on motherboard (this procedure is in the manual)
reboot ,wait the silly scarey extra long 30 seconds then enter bios
now just click the xmp 3200 profile
save and exit
hit del when its booting and go back into bios see what it says and save /exit

hopefully this may work Wacko

im amazed your having this much trouble with the top tip set of ram to match with ryzen !

at worst id expect trouble getting over 2993 or the lowest timings of 14/14/14/  but to be stuck at 2133 with this ram is really insane
(i done hours and hours of research before ordering my gskill b dies ,just to make sure it would be easy )

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
Sensai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sensai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2017 at 7:15am
I did a lot of research too. I got this cause I know the same ram of 2x16 gig sticks work... I didnt want to pay almost 700 $ Canadian, so i got 2x8 thinking it should be the same... tells you what I know lol
I will do a cmos reset when I get home from work tonight. Should I pull the battery out too, or just run the jumper set ?
Sensai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sensai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2017 at 2:36pm
O.K. BIOS reset, and made an attempt at 2400.. again reset to default.
I then tried not using xmp and just set the values. same result.
LOL  my ram is too fast for the ryzen 1700 processor.
I will say this though... when I attempted it without xmp... and logged into windows 10... i loaded cpu-z I watched it drop to 1066 as cpu-z reports... also when I watch cpu-z the frequency kicks up now and again then drops again.
Strange days indeed.
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2017 at 6:34pm
wow this ram issue is getting to be a pain mate

would you consider trying the same methods but

with bios version 1.6 ?

when i first had the taichi after loading win10 i flashed to this version and it ran my gskill b dies at 3200 xmp without issue
the difference in bios from what i noticed was
ability to use 25mhz steps for cpu and an extra un-needed voltage section for the cpu (that made three of them all to do same job)
other than two mentioned above i noticed no difference from v1.6 to v2.0
the only other thing i can think of is
some bug in the cpu or the ram codes
both of which i doubt but hey were running out of ideas here
(it just simply dosnt make any sense to have such an extreme issue with the single sided b dies )
to recap you are using slots a2 and b2 (the far right and 2nd in from cpu socket) and all settings when testing ram are set to default apart from any dram settings that need changing ?

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2017 at 11:36pm
Originally posted by datonyb datonyb wrote:

to be honest your choice in ram is about the best you could have made for ryzen and im surprised its not playing ball
ok lets try and get it running
bios version 2 >
enter xmp and set that to 3200 profile
now
manually go down and change timings to
16/16/16/35
go further down page
set
soc to fixed
then set soc volts to 1.0v (just enter 1.0 hit enter and it sets it too 1.0000)
now change soc llc to level 2
hit enter
save and exit

wait the usual 30 secs for the board to think about the changes before it starts to flash lights and boot
hit del key and enter bios again ,dont do anything just save and exit reboot into windows
and check its timings in cpuz
it should show 1600mhtz and timings of 16/16/16/35

now if you got this far (which i really think it should with that ram)
now try slowly manually changing the timings
start with
14/16/16/35 then
14/14/16/35
etc etc remember to boot each time you change each single setting

ryzen at present is like a young child they need small steps to train them to behave Wink

I'm sorry, but why would you say his memory, G.SKILL F4-3200C14D-16GTZ, is a good choice for a Ryzen system?

Let's check the G.SKILL page for this memory, and look at the QVL tab:

http://gskill.com/en/product/f4-3200c14d-16gtz

All it shows is Intel Z170 and Z270 boards, for every board manufacture. Not one Ryzen board is included. If the memory is compatible, is G.SKILL just not updating their product's information? Only G.SKILL can answer that question. They should know better than anyone else. This memory may run Ok at 2133, but at higher speeds, or the rated speed in a Ryzen system?

The DDR4 XMP profiles are designed for the memory controllers in Intel processors. The Ryzen memory controller is different, and needs different timings. For example, the Ryzen memory controller, at higher speeds, uses a Command Rate (CR) of 1. Every DDR4 XMP profile for the latest Intel processors has a CR of 2.

The DDR4 XMP profiles designed for Intel memory controllers don't work with Ryzen memory controllers. We must set the timings, speed, and DRAM voltage manually.

We can check G.SKILL's RAM Configurator tool, and see what they recommend for the X370 Taichi (sorry for the text link, the forum link tool fails with some URLs):

http://www.gskill.com/en/configurator?manu=52&chip=2952&model=2985

All Fortis and FlareX models, except for one new TridentZ RGB model.

Will DDR4 models designed for Intel system work at their specified speeds in Ryzen systems at some point? I don't know. AMD and the memory manufactures are the best source of that information. Let me guess, the memory manufacture said it should, and blames the mother board. If that is true, then why aren't Ryzen boards listed in the product's QVL list? Or, why is that memory model not included in the RAM Configurator listing, for example?

Existing DDR4 memory (pre-Ryzen) that uses Samsung B-Die memory chips, has had better luck working with Ryzen than other memory chips, like Hynix. We've seen examples of the same model of TridentZ memory using Samsung and Hynix memory chips, which adds to the confusion of memory compatibility. But that alone does not guarantee it will work perfectly with Ryzen.

The starting and stopping of the PC during POST is caused by the AMD Advanced Boot Training, which is an option in the OC Tweaker screen. The default number of attempts is five. Newer UEFI/BIOS versions have an option to change the number of attempts. That feature performs memory training, which we can see is not guaranteed to work.

Another problem is AMD started selling Ryzen processors before the mother board manufactures had the time, and all the updates from AMD, to get the UEFI/BIOS programmed well. An example of this is the AMD AGESA 1.0.0.4a update for the UEFI being released about a week ago from AMD.

As a moderator, I sometimes get new boards from ASRock for testing. I had an Intel Z270 board and CPU about three weeks before the official release from Intel. My Ryzen board I've had for only two weeks, about a month after the official release of Ryzen, and had to buy my own processor. I bought G.SKILL FlareX memory, since I could tell from what I was seeing on the Internet that Ryzen memory compatibility was an issue. My 16GB of FlareX 3200 will not work above 2933 so far. I have not been able to use the XMP profile successfully.

The latest UEFI/BIOS update for my board (X370 Killer SLI/ac) which has the AGESA 1.0.0.4a update in it, despite what the text labels say in the UEFI file, did not improve the memory compatibility. It seems to have made it worse, I'm still trying to figure it out.

As I've said many times, Ryzen is not a mature system at this time. Memory compatibility is the biggest issue so far, of the very few issues with Ryzen we have seen. At this point, simply using just any model of DDR4 memory will be pure luck if it works well with a Ryzen system.

datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2017 at 6:48am
im saying its a good choice based on the many many hours over many days over many weeks i looked into ram choice for ryzen
and researched the gskill tridentz

the overwhelming results of that were
his ram has b dies 100%
his ram is the same as my ram 100% (apart from the flash of info from gkill to select the 14/14/14/ xmp profile)
the numerous threads posts and topics on forums from real end users saying what worked

parsec im surprised to be honest that you ask why i say it was a good choice
when its been to most popular succesful choice of ram for ryzen based systems
this is going back to before you could actually buy the flarex ram anywhere and amd in thier wisdom shipped lpx (a bad choice) with the review kits

buying ram for ryzen is and still is a educated guess based on what others get working ,please dont say people should buy whats on the qvl becuase it dosnt take much to find countless posts even here on this forum with people saying they cant get qvl ram working correctly

so ...............
i stand by exactly what i said
the OP made a good choice for ram i have the same ram but at a looser preset flashed xmp timing of 15/15/15/ it worked out the box
overclockers ram guru has really got involved with this seris of ram and prooved its just binning that they assign the speeds to each pair (and the binning is more to make price based kits anyway as the 3200 15/15/15 kit was clocked to 4000 mhtz in his system while testing)

now the real question is
why on earth his taichi will not work on his ram at any set of speed or timings even when he makes it the same as mine

personally i come on here to see what problems people have and try to help them ,i dont come here to flame someones post for a trivial reason such as an opinion whats good or not

let us stick to help not hinderance

the crazy thing is it not going over 2133 that is very unusual

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2017 at 8:09am
Originally posted by datonyb datonyb wrote:

im saying its a good choice based on the many many hours over many days over many weeks i looked into ram choice for ryzen
and researched the gskill tridentz

the overwhelming results of that were
his ram has b dies 100%
his ram is the same as my ram 100% (apart from the flash of info from gkill to select the 14/14/14/ xmp profile)
the numerous threads posts and topics on forums from real end users saying what worked

parsec im surprised to be honest that you ask why i say it was a good choice
when its been to most popular succesful choice of ram for ryzen based systems
this is going back to before you could actually buy the flarex ram anywhere and amd in thier wisdom shipped lpx (a bad choice) with the review kits

buying ram for ryzen is and still is a educated guess based on what others get working ,please dont say people should buy whats on the qvl becuase it dosnt take much to find countless posts even here on this forum with people saying they cant get qvl ram working correctly

so ...............
i stand by exactly what i said
the OP made a good choice for ram i have the same ram but at a looser preset flashed xmp timing of 15/15/15/ it worked out the box
overclockers ram guru has really got involved with this seris of ram and prooved its just binning that they assign the speeds to each pair (and the binning is more to make price based kits anyway as the 3200 15/15/15 kit was clocked to 4000 mhtz in his system while testing)

now the real question is
why on earth his taichi will not work on his ram at any set of speed or timings even when he makes it the same as mine

personally i come on here to see what problems people have and try to help them ,i dont come here to flame someones post for a trivial reason such as an opinion whats good or not

let us stick to help not hinderance

the crazy thing is it not going over 2133 that is very unusual

In no particular order...

I am trying to help. What about my post is hindrance?

I've supplied information backing my standpoint, which is simply reality, not my opinion. You have not.

I also stand by what I've said, again supplying information from the manufacture of the memory regarding its compatibility.

Flaming someone's position is saying it is wrong without providing actual proof that it is wrong. There is nothing in your post that is proof. So whom is flaming whom here? Does a flame post begin with the words, "I'm sorry..."?

Also, when did I say that memory IS a bad choice? Never did.

I also included the potential reason why the same model of memory won't work at the same speed in your X370 Taichi board, and the others. Different memory chips, Samsung and Hynix, in the "same model" of memory. That happens more often then we know.

Are you aware that memory chips, of the same type, can differ between production runs? That's why memory is sold in kits, to insure they use the same memory chips from the same production runs.

As you said yourself, it is crazy the memory does not work at the same speed in the same board. That is exactly why I wrote what I did. You seem to be basing your guarantee that this memory will work at a certain speed based upon yourself and another person's experience. I can't and won't do that. If I explained why, I would be flaming you.

You've said false things about my statements, and tried to say it is a flame post, which it isn't at all.

I don't appreciate that.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic