ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X370 TAICHI $ GSKILL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sensai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2017 at 8:30am
Well either way I appreciate all help and advice, and I do not take any of it lightly. Before I made any posts here I contacted G.Skill in an email. I told them what was happening, and I got this response...
Of course I did what they suggested, and again the same results.

For your F4-3200C14D-16GTZ memory kit, please first clear CMOS by (1) disconnect the power cord connected to the motherboard (2) Remove the round lithium battery for additional 30 seconds while the power cord is disconnected. Then reinstall the modules into different DIMM slots and try the manual setting below to run DDR4-2400MHz on ASROCK X370 TAICHI. 

DRAM Frequency: 2400MHz

DRAM Voltage: 1.35v

CL-Timing: 14-14-14-34

Sensai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sensai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2017 at 8:46am
So just another query here... the ram receipt says this ram is dual channel... however when I boot into the bios it tells me it is single channel ... That seems kinda strange doesn't it ? Perhaps there is a problem there ?
Sensai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sensai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2017 at 1:12pm
I got another response from G.Skill RMA... It looks like G.Skill might recognize it as faulty ram. I gotta fill out an RMA form. I will keep everyone posted. I have seen this before on another forum... and G.Skill claimed the ram was faulty.

Make sure motherboard BIOS is updated to the latest version and clear CMOS again before booting at 2400MHz. If the problem persists, please visit our website and complete our online RMA Request Form (http://gskill.com/en/rma). After you have submitted the RMA Request form, your RMA will be sent to our RMA department for approval, and within 2 business days, you will receive an RMA number and shipping address for your replacement.
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2017 at 9:47pm
ok so it seems rather than sat here in my chair trying to help people with what limited time i can spare with brief tips

it is preferred that you have to act like a court of law Geek
ok as requested i have to paste links to prove what i say
link 1 the exact same ram kit in the exact same motherboard (bios version 1.40)
http://valid.x86.fr/m2amqe @ 3200 14/14/14/34

the screen shot of the ram information (scroll to page bottom post by webhiker) clearly showing with Thaiphoon Burner the ram has samsung b dies  and being used at that time 04/02/17 at 2993
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=412876&page=29

link to working out what chips are on the ram by the part number/serial number (first post)
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?283666-Figuring-out-G-Skill-s-SNs

and again full list of ram and what brand and revision of ic they use (please also note the first reply comment  by a user called ZAZIEL :
[?“]ZazielFury Nitro Tri-X OC | Ryzen 1800X && RX470 Platinum | i3-6100 2 points  < ="#" ="usertext warn-on-unload" id="-t1_dfpkmt549q">

F4-3200C14D-16GTZ

Runs at specified timings and frequency on my ASRock Taichi X370 since March 7 or so.

LINK =

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/62vp2g/clearing_up_any_samsung_bdie_confusion_eg_on/?st=j0zuwh6g&sh=2ac3529a

so bearing in mind since before launch day i intended to buy the taichi and was spending far too much time searching and reading about what ram to use and as you have in fact pointed out gskill just want you to buy more expensive and harder to obtain flarex kits (which i suspect to be tridentz in a different cover and software flash, but lets not start that debate its not relevent) i focused all of my attention on what tridentz would be the best choice for sucess

i do have many other links saved on this sytem many from a user on overclockers called woomack who it would appear spends his entire life deeply examining ram and its make up structure and abilities and was the reference i have referred to showing this 3200 kits running at 4000 speeds (which may bode well for the future if ever the am4 bios mature enough to allow some extra headroom)

so again i stand by what i said sensai did make a well informed decision on his ram kit but it seems has an unusual problem in his specific system

this reply has taken at least 30 mins of my time which would make most people not so willing to submit answer on a forum , to me thats rather counter productive to the whole concept of this forum where users seem to at least equal if not exceed posts offering help compared to any official reply from asrock

[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2017 at 10:26pm
Sensai were you willing to try bios version 1.6 ?
on the asrock thread on the overclockers.co.uk forum several guys seem to have had issues with ram working on either v1.6 or the beta version 1.94 but then slowing down on version 2
there seems an abundance of taichi owners there all posting real life experiances with this board which does indeed help far more than a manufactuers limited tested qvl and on that forum it seems an asrock rep. is dealing with some questions
here is a link to keep everyone happy Clown
page 17 onwards seem to have the more relevant posts

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/the-asrock-thread-support-feedback-etc.18760683/page-16

allthough im getting the feeling as i assume you are that they may be some issue with your ram sticks
your post above about dual and single i think is confusion from what i understand by what you said
i think your reading the dual channel on the invoice as more than what it implies (e.g. its saying a kit of two sticks to use dual channel memory paths, and not that the sticks are dual sided)

Edited by datonyb - 18 Apr 2017 at 10:31pm
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
Sensai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sensai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2017 at 7:16am
I was running bios 1.60 before I posted here. I ran into similar results, although the only thing I did not do was reset bios with and take out battery for a minute. I don't mind trying it, however I doubt it will function as predicted. I think it is bad ram... I will know in a couple days where to send my G.Skill ram back for new stuff. I am wondering if I should ask them to just swap it out for the flare x 3200 14 latency.  I may ask anyways... 
I can sure give it a shot at rebooting to 1.6 bios... and set it at 2400 again. I will try anything to get this ram working.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2017 at 10:39am
Originally posted by Sensai Sensai wrote:

So just another query here... the ram receipt says this ram is dual channel... however when I boot into the bios it tells me it is single channel ... That seems kinda strange doesn't it ? Perhaps there is a problem there ?

Could be several things.

The four memory slots on your board provide two slots for each channel, A and B. If you have two DIMMs in just the A or B channel, then you are simply running your memory in single channel mode.

Did you see the full capacity of 16GB when it said you were in single channel mode?

Since you've been moving the DIMMs around, you might have not seated one in place completely? If you don't get the full capacity of both DIMMs, even in single channel mode, then possibly one DIMM was not fully seated.

When memory is over clocked, near the limit of the memory controller's ability to work at that speed, sometimes a DIMM will no longer be recognized. That should not be the case since your memory was not over clocked.

I'm a bit surprised G.SKILL told you to use 1.35V with the memory at 2400, but that must be because their default speed is 2133. That's why your memory ran at 2133 when you began using it. That is the maximum, non-over clocked memory speed for Intel Skylake processors, that this memory was originally designed for. The G.SKILL FlareX memory is 1.2V at 2400. 2400 is the AMD Ryzen 7 maximum non-over clocked memory speed.

I see now your memory may be faulty, too bad. If you do RMA it, ask what G.SKILL suggests for a replacement. I use TridentZ memory in my Intel Z170 and Z270 systems, and IMO it is the best looking memory you can buy, and I understand why you would want to keep it.
Sensai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sensai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2017 at 10:52am
Yes it does register as 16 gigs... I filled out my RMA form today ... they said up to 72 hours for a response.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2017 at 11:49am
Two things come immediately to mind Sensai. And pardon me if these have been asked/answered but I skimmed through your posts, quick like

1. Two stick mem Kit should reside in memory slots A2 and B2.

2. You should be clearing the BIOS EVERY time you change mem around in the slot(s)

Oh! 3. With manually setting memory, you are disabling Advanced Boot Training, right?

Sensai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sensai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2017 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Two things come immediately to mind Sensai. And pardon me if these have been asked/answered but I skimmed through your posts, quick like

1. Two stick mem Kit should reside in memory slots A2 and B2.

2. You should be clearing the BIOS EVERY time you change mem around in the slot(s)

Oh! 3. With manually setting memory, you are disabling Advanced Boot Training, right?

1. yes... I also tried A1/B1 at request of G.Skill RMA.
2. yes... I only changed the slots the ram was in at request of G.Skill RMA.
3. uhm what??? Not sure what that is... I will have to check Bios when I get home.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic